Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Robust American Beauty vs Sweet 16

Robust American Beauty vs Sweet 16

I started another thread asking for opinions on the Laguna Revo 1836, but am now considering just jumping up to my "last" lathe.

I am looking at the American Beauty and the Sweet 16.

They are so close in price (especially if I upgrade the 16 to 2hp from 1.5hp). I can't understand what advantages the 16 has over the AB.

Two things that I like about the 16 are the single pulley motor and the ability to move the gap perpendicular to the head for turning behind the headstock. But the AB offers more standard capacity without having to mess with the gap.

Is the removable gap a benefit or a hinderance? Would it affect the slide of the rest?

So, looking at the AB 2hp, or the 16 2hp, why would you prefer one over the other? I have also asked this question directly to Robust.
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 12-30-2017 at 9:42 AM.

Convenience, if nothing else. I have seven Chucks so I don't have to change Jaws and a separate Jacob Chuck for the drill bits I use the most. Convenience or laziness, whatever you want to call it, it is a lot more pleasurable turning when you don't have to stop and make adjustments. Still, I like the Sweet 16 and think if I were going to buy one today that would be the one.

3. To me, the capacity and weight of the American Beauty tips it in over the Sweet 16. Reason: While likely 80% of my turnings could be done on a 16” lathe, there are times I do get big wood, burls, and want to core, and I like making large turnings, like hollow forms, and need extra capacity for the steady rest setup, which I have had for a few years, made by Jeff Nichols.

I want the capacity and weight as it makes stability pretty much built in with the splayed legs of the AB. While you’re at it, Prashun, if you’re gonna go with a 220v motor anyway, why settle for 2 hp? Brent says that 80% or more of the AB’s go out the door with the 3hp motors....a great resale point if you ever wanted to sell it. No difference in the basic wiring setup, except receptacle perhaps.
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 12-30-2017 at 6:16 PM. Reason: typo
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I went through a similar decision process two summers ago and finally settled on a 3HP AB. I went that route (over the Sweet 16) because the design looked more solid and for the sliding headstock feature which I love. I initially ordered a 2HP model but Deb advised me to get a 3HP model and I'm glad I did; bowl coring needs lots of power!

As long as you're spending "a lot of money" you might as well spend a bit more and get exactly what you want.

Brent responded with (I am paraphrasing and drastically summarizing):

The AB is primarily intended for bowl and vessel turning. It is designed to allow the vessel turner to approach the work comfortably and ergonomically from different angles. It also has more mass and can handle anything the average turner can throw at it.

The S16 is designed for versatility in a more compact package; perhaps the turner who appreciates making bowls on one day and then table legs on another may appreciate this. This being said, it still has considerable mass and stability.

I do take your point, Roger, about the 3hp. I wonder if this thread is re-piquing your interest in a similar upgrade

I do think the sliding headstock in the AB is a wonderful thing. I've been looking for a more comfortable way to hollow.
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 12-30-2017 at 12:05 PM.

I too have the 3 hp AB. What sold me on the AB was the sliding headstock. The one think that you must remember in placement of the AB in you shop is that you want some room behind the headstock so you push it to your desired location on the other end of the lathe. I do know the 3 hp motor is a pretty big and heavy motor. Like Roger has said, the AB can handle almost any size piece of wood you can mount on it. I have a host above my AB that has come in handy several times in helping me to get some wood mounted on my lathe.

Good luck in making your decision.

I’ve been on a AB for 4 years. I bought the long bed with 3 hp. I do mostly bowls and not hollows. My thinking was I turn against a wall so I could just slid the tail stock back and turn over the lathe. If I were to select one again I believe I would go with the shorter bed with a tilt away and possibly the outboard attachment. I can move mine with a hydraulic table if needed. The sweet 16 with the tool rest reaching out over a gap bed seem to be more liable to vibrate the banjo and tool rest. I turned 26” blanks on my drop down ways on my Powermatic and found it vibration prone. When turning rather large thin bowls the bowl wall can be like the head of a drum. Any vibration becomes aplified causing ripple in the surface. My AB rock steady and able to core large blanks much easier than my Powermatic. I loved my 3520 till I purchased the AB.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnv0DAR_gWA
    We all start somewhere lol

9. Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    I do take your point, Roger, about the 3hp. I wonder if this thread is re-piquing your interest in a similar upgrade
    Prashun, if I had a little more cash in hand, I would have already pulled the trigger, my friend! My interest has never diminished! That being said, I am very happy with my G0766........my problem being a real tool aficionado is, that I like the best......and seems the Baldor motors, seven year warranty and American made tells me I don't have the best available.........then the Oneway 2436 has some features I really like as well, so I am thinking, talking, dreaming, researching, posting, questioning, etc........know what I mean?!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I’m over 5 years into the AB - my first thought was to go for the Sweet Sixteen. It’s a great lathe, with more capacity (swing) than the AB with the bed gap removed it will swing 32”, I think. Coming from a Jet 1642, I really was acclimated to the sliding headstock for coring and bowls. In the end I was seduced by the 3hp and the sliding headstock. 5 years in and I’m so glad I did. The additional power and stability are appreciated every time I stand at the lathe. The ergonomics perfectly suit what I do and how I like to do it. That said, I also opted to pick it up after it was drooled on by everyone at the AAW symposium in San Jose, saving the shipping cost to the upper left hand corner on the country.
    The one feature I came to appreciate far more than I thought going in is the tilt away tailstock with the gas shock. I’m in pretty fair shape for a geezer, but the tailstock on the Jet was getting to be a hassel to remove and replace as often as I needed to. The tilt away makes it a simple, quick, one finger operation.
    I decided it would be the last lathe I’d be able to splurge on with retirement staring at me from 5 years out, so I convinced myself that it was the best option even if it did run a little more to the north end of the budget.
    I’m so glad I did...
    Last edited by Jeffrey J Smith; 12-30-2017 at 6:58 PM.

This is very helpful feedback guys. Thank you.

I think the sweet 16 is a great little lathe for someone very limited on space and is primarily a spindal lathe with the option to turn a bowl or platter occasionally. I feel the one way 1640 is the same kind of lathe but a little bigger. I think if you want to buy a one and done lathe capable of what you might want to do you should concider the 3 hp and the AB. To me the decision was down to the AB or the one way 2436 both great lathes comperable in price. In the end I went with the 2436 I do not like the movable head that much I find the one way more straight forward, just move the piece to the other side of the head and reverse the lathe. I donÂ’t have to worry about sliding a heavy head down or worry about something getting under the head causing a vibration. The other reason is I can continue to add beds on either end if I ever have the need. Both are great lathes and both have great following both for good reason. The real question I think is 16 or 24? To me I would rather the 24 even if I was turning a pen. Because I might come by a 17 inch burl. Then I would want to core it to make the most of it so the 3 hp is the way to go. I also want fast and none figity when changing set ups
    At the end of the day you might end up with buyers remorse due to the cost but once you turn on the 2436 or the AB that goes away pretty fast. In addition, its still cheaper to by the big one rather that buy the smaller one and then by the bigger on down the road after the next price increase

I have owned a 3HP long bed AB since 2012. It has been a fabulous machine. I have also turned a bit on the Sweet 16. Also a fabulous machine that handles bowls most mortal men would turn just fine. The AB long bed is a good spindle lathe. and a great bowl and vessel lathe. If you have the room get the AB. When you have committed to that kind of money the little extra is not a huge deal. Having the capacity without removing a gap is a plus to me. I have never had anything getting under the headstock that caused a vibration. I also like the way the legs adjust on the AB, and the way you settle the bed for a perfect stable lathe on the floor. Brent and Deb are great to do business with. Just good people. Good luck with you decision. Its a fun exciting process when buying a premium lathe.

I had the same decision to make and went with the Sweet 16. No regrets at all. The SWAT incentives were a bonus. The AB seemed too big for my needs even though space isn't a problem. I anchored the lathe to the floor (slab, only tighten 3 of the anchor bolts) and have no vibration issues. I adjusted the height easily using a bottle jack.

I have the standard bed Sweet 16. I bought it a few years back as a retirement present for myself. I am very space limited in my shop (actually a small bedroom!) and it is perfect for my needs. I have turned everything from full custom non-kit fountain pens, to burls the size of a basketball, to a 30 or so inch tabletop. It has handled them all. No regrets regarding my decision.

In response to an earlier question, the movable gap bed works flawlessly. Takes a couple of minutes to move and no issues moving the banjo across it.

Having said that, if I had more space I would have bought the AB. Doubt that I ever would have used its full capabilities.