Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bought a brand new 20W Fiber Laser and feel completely lost - help?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    Who is paying for the return shipping to China?
    They are paying for return shipping. About $200.

Are you just taking the laser part out and sending that back ? Or is the whole machine going back ? Very unusual to get a faulty laser , much more likely to be cabling or psu problem (but not impossible) ! I guess you will know when they send a new one and it still doesn’t work

Quick update. I received a brand new laser and board. I installed both and unfortunately got the same result -- no marks. UGH! Still at a loss of what else to try.

On an interesting note, there's a "test laser" button and if I enable it, I can see an ever so faint white dot on my 304 stainless and it leaves a very faint mark. I feel the laser is working, but perhaps a setting isn't right??

Blog Entries
    It still sounds like out of focus. Here is what I would do. Put a piece of scrap steel on table. Focus as best as you think is correct. Make note of height. Draw a circle in center of page, say an inch in diameter. Select power and put in 500speed, 100 percent power, and 20 frequently and say 20 cycles. Hatch it say 90degrees and. 03 really does not matter just have a hatch. Then start the fiber. Slowly turn focus wheel one direction till you get sparks or you run out of adjustment whereupon you go back down and start over moving the opposite direction. If you don't ever get sparks, (which is near focus) you have other issue..

I'm wondering if the laser's 'nozzle' inside the machine is loose, and/or misaligned? First time I was in my machine I found one of the bracket screws loose. There's a 'tunnel' about 1/2" in diameter that the beam passes thru to hit the mirrors in the scan head. It wouldn't take much misalignment for the beam to hit the side of the tunnel. Pics of mine, the nozzle is held in place with a circular clamp. Laser fires thru the red laser and its transparent mirror assembly, from there thru the front face of the machine, thru the extension tube to the scanhead mirrors (2nd pic)--
    ff2.jpgDSC05568.jpg

Note the hole in the extension isn't all that big. My best guess without pulling my covers is that the distance from the tip of the nozzle to the mirrors is around 9 inches (230mm)- might not sound like a lot but if the nozzle is loose or something is amiss with the red laser assy, the beam may be hitting a wall instead of the mirrors...

Just a guess, and assumes the laser IS firing...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by John Lifer View Post
    It still sounds like out of focus. Here is what I would do. Put a piece of scrap steel on table. Focus as best as you think is correct. Make note of height. Draw a circle in center of page, say an inch in diameter. Select power and put in 500speed, 100 percent power, and 20 frequently and say 20 cycles. Hatch it say 90degrees and. 03 really does not matter just have a hatch. Then start the fiber. Slowly turn focus wheel one direction till you get sparks or you run out of adjustment whereupon you go back down and start over moving the opposite direction. If you don't ever get sparks, (which is near focus) you have other issue..
    I have tried this to no avail.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    I'm wondering if the laser's 'nozzle' inside the machine is loose, and/or misaligned? First time I was in my machine I found one of the bracket screws loose. There's a 'tunnel' about 1/2" in diameter that the beam passes thru to hit the mirrors in the scan head. It wouldn't take much misalignment for the beam to hit the side of the tunnel. Pics of mine, the nozzle is held in place with a circular clamp. Laser fires thru the red laser and its transparent mirror assembly, from there thru the front face of the machine, thru the extension tube to the scanhead mirrors (2nd pic)--
    ff2.jpgDSC05568.jpg

Note the hole in the extension isn't all that big. My best guess without pulling my covers is that the distance from the tip of the nozzle to the mirrors is around 9 inches (230mm)- might not sound like a lot but if the nozzle is loose or something is amiss with the red laser assy, the beam may be hitting a wall instead of the mirrors...

Just a guess, and assumes the laser IS firing...
    Good idea, but I think mine is set up correct. All of the screws are tight. I just don't feel like the laser is firing and I find it hard to believe I've gotten two faulty lasers.

20180119_235943.jpg

Blog Entries
    You stated that you see a white mark..... It just didn't appear by itself. If focus and kevs suggestions don't fix, you must have something in your setup wrong....... Or you Did get two defective units, and I wouldn't bet on that.... Sorry, not easy to diagnose over forum.

does the red laser track correctly? It should trace the same exact path the main laser does...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

So the entire old machine went back and you received a new one, and neither were checked at the factory for operation?? What brand is this machine?
    Last edited by Bill George; 01-20-2018 at 3:41 PM.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10