Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on G.Weike LC6090 laser

1/4 Maple on an 80 watt is going to peak out at about 8mm or so a second on a warm day at 80% power, going to 100 watt you may get another 2 - 3mm per second at double the replacement tube costs
    You did what !

Well you pretty much summed it up there Dave, looks like 80watt it is! I appreciate your help, Happy New Year!

What software do you guys use to create the cut/engrave files? AutoCad, Corel, etc?

Hands down, Corel Draw and it does not need to be the current edition. A legal not pirated version X4 - X6 which I use is fine. A lot of support here for Corel and its more or less the default for most graphics as vinyl, laser and the rest.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    Hands down, Corel Draw and it does not need to be the current edition. A legal not pirated version X4 - X6 which I use is fine. A lot of support here for Corel and its more or less the default for most graphics as vinyl, laser and the rest.
    What makes Corel superior to AI? Is it just because most people on the forum use it or does it really just depend on the type of work you're doing?
    Last edited by Chase Mueller; 03-13-2018 at 8:21 AM. Reason: spelling mistake
    Epilog Fusion M2 40 Watt CO2 Laser

Chase
    Corel is the software of choice for the entire laser engraving industry--not just this forum. It is compatible with all of the "western" machines. There is an abundance of help available on the internet and even here. While AI can certainly be used, I have found certain quirks or nuisances with it that don't exist with CorelDraw. That said, I am aware of AI's popularity with graphic designers.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Thanks for the info guys. Have you tried any of the free software such as Inkscape or GIMP?

My LC6090 from G. Weike is on its way so I'm not sure what type of software will be compatible with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Stark View Post
    Thanks for the info guys. Have you tried any of the free software such as Inkscape or GIMP?

My LC6090 from G. Weike is on its way so I'm not sure what type of software will be compatible with it.
    Get Corel Draw and be done with it. You know it works.

You will find people who use Illustrator, Inkscape, GIMP, etc., etc., and have no problems with them at all, however, they are the exception, not the rule. You will also find people who have trouble with Corel, with it's large user-base that's not too surprising though, and because you have such a large user-base support is extremely easy to find.

100% with Bill on this one - get Corel!

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hair View Post
    You will find people who use Illustrator, Inkscape, GIMP, etc., etc., and have no problems with them at all, however, they are the exception, not the rule. You will also find people who have trouble with Corel, with it's large user-base that's not too surprising though, and because you have such a large user-base support is extremely easy to find.

100% with Bill on this one - get Corel!
    Coming from an AI user, get Corel. I run into countless issues with AI. Admittedly, they are minor issues that don't affect my jobs much, but I'm also doing very particular "easy" work. Go Corel, it seems to work better, and more people here seem to use it, making it easier to troubleshoot.
    Epilog Fusion M2 40 Watt CO2 Laser

I think Corel became the go to program because when lasers first hit the market there wasn't much else available besides Corel and Illustrator and Corel was cheaper to get a hold of so was more widely adopted by users, and manufacturers would rather support only one program not many. I know for my Universal they recommended using Corel and all their setup instructions are available online including a custom color pallet that they give you with instructions how to install. FWIW, I use the subscription service for Corel which if you pay for a year comes out to about $15 per month which includes all updates, upgrades, support and downloads for other features if you need them, pretty reasonable IMO. What I also like is that you can install it on up to three different computers as long as you only use it one at a time, it's convenient for me when I want to take my laptop home to work on things. I would be happy to share the set-up/configuration instructions and color pallet with anyone who needs it, just PM me.
    Universal PLS 6.120D 75 watt
    MutiCam Apex CNC 4'x8' w 6 bit TC.
    EnrRoute 6 Pro 3d software.
    Vision 2550 Rotary Engraver.

Does it matter which version of Corel Draw I can use on my G. Weike LC6090 laser? It is currently on the way!

Does it matter which version of Corel Draw I can use on my G. Weike LC6090 laser? It is currently on the way!
    Did you read the answers posted above?

Sorry, Bill. Just wanted to make sure your X4-X6 comment applied to the LC6090. Thanks for the clarification!

Almost 2 years ago I ordered a G.Weike LG6040 with an 80W RECI laser tube. I had decided on an 80W after reading many pages on this forum, then coming to the conclusion that an 80W could provide a good balance in case I wanted to engrave at some point. My core reason for purchase was to make vector cut parts for products that I manufacture.

When my machine arrived I was impressed with the packaging. It was a very sturdy crate with plenty of protection inside. There were no scratches or dents on the machine, and everything worked. I kept the crate wood for laser practice and the foam for shipping. However during inspection I noticed the tube wasn't the 80W that I'd ordered. It was a 110W. I called Weike to ask what happened there and they basically said "Oh, you got free upgrade". I was ok with that because cutting was the primary goal, but it wasn't what I'd ordered.

After 2 years of use my LG6040 has more than paid for itself, and I'm glad I bought it. The only part that's failed so far was a limit switch. Lightobject had them in stock and that was a quick fix.