Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What's your favorite tape measure?

Milwaukee and DeWalt make little keychain 6' tapes. You can find them at Home Depot. I realized 95% of my measuring jobs were under 6', so I bought one.

Does anyone here have any evidence that cheaper tapes are less accurate? I find it hard to believe that any reputable manufacturer would make a mismarked steel tape, and I would not expect a steel tape to expand or contract.

If anyone has a good suggestion for a 25' tape which responds well to being dropped on concrete over and over, let me know. My big tapes spend more time on the floor than in the cart.
    Cry "Havoc," and let slip the dogs of bench.

I was socially distant before it was cool.

A little authority corrupts a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve H Graham View Post
    ...Does anyone here have any evidence that cheaper tapes are less accurate?...
    What difference would it make, as long as you always measure with that tape?
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Adams View Post
    Where can you buy an all metric tape measure? I can’t find them anywhere here in eastern Iowa.
    Fastcap has several. Amazon is your friend (as is google).
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    Additive errors, for one. Unable to fit finished piece into a fixed space (measured by others). Many more. Hard to argue with getting something accurate.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Does anyone here have any evidence that cheaper tapes are less accurate? I find it hard to believe that any reputable manufacturer would make a mismarked steel tape, and I would not expect a steel tape to expand or contract.
    I don't think it is intentional mismarking, but the Class I, II, and III certifications must be available for a reason. The local hardware store has 11 different folding rules and 23 different metal tape measures. None of them are designated as even a Class III measure, which is likely reflected in the prices. The most expensive 10-Meter tape measure is €15.90 (about $18.25) and the most expensive 2-Meter wooden folding rule is €3.25 (about $3.75).

At one point, my garage trash can had two tape measures and three wooden folding rules that started varying noticeably at about the 300 mm point and got progressively worse towards the end of the rule markings. I was assembling parts and making measurements for cutting in my basement using one folding rule, and cutting the parts to measure using another folding rule in the garage. After several attempts to fit a panel in a frame, I realized the two folding rules, from the same company, varied at the lengths I was using and were off by about 1.5 mm. The tape measure I had been using was also off by about 0.5 mm in the other direction. I had three measuring devices, all with different markings, and had no idea which one was the most accurate. I finished the job using one folding rule for measuring and cutting, and then learned about Class I, II, and III tapes and rules. None of the tapes or rules I had were marked, so they went into the bin and I bought the Hultafors and BMI measures.

When using the Hultafors as a reference, the rip fence guide on my SC2 is off by just over 0.5 mm at 110 cm. It appears to be accurate at 20 cm, but the variation is noticeable at 30 cm. I confirmed this with both the Hultafors and the BMI, and will overlay the guide with a Starrett Class II steel tape measure with adhesive back. The guide on the crosscut arm is also off, so it will be modified as well with a Starrett Class II steel tape.

I would not expect a steel tape to expand or contract.
    I believe steel expands at almost 5" per mile for every degree of temperature change (F). Cool a measuring tape from 90 deg to 0 deg and check something 30' long. Of course, what you are checking may shrink too. My fences tighten up considerably in the winter. For short distances and small temperature changes it won't make much difference.

I don't think the price alone affects the quality of a tape. More would depend on the way the scale is printed.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    ... Unable to fit finished piece into a fixed space (measured by others)...
    You're joking!
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

A tape measure lasts me about 4-8 months. I usually buy 2-3 at a time and pull them out as needed. I always scratch the date into the case in the back. I've been using the same Stanley model for close to ten years I'd bet.

Some are better than others. Pins are too loose so the blade/catch moves more than the thickness of itself. Things aren't printed accurately and there's variance in accuracy over the length. Sometimes the blade needs to be bent to get it spot on too. Some are perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    Tigerstop

Extra characters
    That's a good one. Lol

I like the Komelon ones anymore.

I have used the Stanley fat max 16' tapes in the shop since they came out, and the fat max 25-30' on construction sites for just as long. The Stanleys seem to have a thicker blade that resists kinks and breaks better than others.
    I also only buy the yellow plastic case models.
    The chrome coating does not last, and once it starts to flake is sharp as #%*%!
    They are pretty consistent in accuracy from one to the next.

I did a quick read through all the post and surprised I did not see Lufkin Quick Read.
    Great for setting the fence on the table saw. You are not looking at the measurement upside down.

51FgWRxkRaL._SL1346_.jpg
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post

I build industrial electrical control panels at work, What we build will later be installed on machines built by our customers. Our tape measures must be exact or they wont fit.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I like the original Stanley LeverLock. They haven’t been made in years but I still find new ones from time to time at flea markets. As a lefty, they are one of the few that work well for me and read right side up from left to right.

Blog Entries
    TigerStops have to be tweaked as well from time to time.

Lufkin executive tape - 1/4" wide by 6 feet - no hook error as zero is 3" from end - about the size of a silver dollar but thicker - round - always in my pocket - accurate