Thread: sanding drum for a shaper....

sanding drum for a shaper....

Anyone have experience using one of these ? My shaper only has two speeds 7000/10000 rpm ,is this too fast for a sanding drum ? Curious as to what everyone thinks and experience with sanding drums on a shaper. Thanks,Mike.

Mike,
    I have a shop fox shaper that I bought 2nd hand. When I got it it had a contour sanding head mounted and the former owner had a pulley made to reduce the spindle speed. I have not used it in that mode but it leads me to think that you might need to reduce the speed to sand.

I haven't tried it but imagine you'd want to be well under 7000 rpm's for sanding as those spindles likely are not balanced very well. Be interested to see if anyone chimes in whose tried it?

good luck,
    JeffD

Somewhere recently I saw a sanding drum meant to be used on a shaper spindle. That is where this question came from. My first thought was that my shaper is way to fast for that. Bigger shapers with 4-5 speeds get down quite a bit slower than mine so maybe they work better for this application.Hopefully someone has experience and can fill us in.

7000 is too fast for these. My Oliver 381 runs at 1800 rpm for 3” to 6” drums and 3600 for less than 2” diameter
    drums. I bought a 3” Felder steel drum from a woodworker who tried it on his shaper and was not happy with the results. I bushed it down to 1” and runs fine on the Oliver at 1800 rpm

There was some discussion on the Felder forum about this and I don’t think anyone had good results with these.
    no oscillating in the shaper either.

Thanks Joe.

45mm Bobbin Installed.jpgGuard in Position.jpgHi, I have a 45mm diameter drum sander for my shaper (B3 Hammer).

I run it at 3,000 RPM. I like it......Rod.

Rod what do you use for sandpaper ? Is that the Felder drum? Does it require a light touch to sand without burning ? Thanks for the info and pictures. Mike.

Mike, I tried my Felder drum in the shaper today at 3000rpm. It is only 60mm, thought it was bigger. It works pretty well, not quite as smooth as the Oliver but heck if you don’t have a OSS and have a shaper that goes slow enough it is a inexpensive way to get in the game.
    i like the way the sandpaper attaches on these. The rubber drums on the Oliver are tricky to get the right fit with the sanding sleeves.
    The burn marks on the paper are from the previous owner who I think was running too fast. I did not experience any burning and the lower dust collection hood of the shaper picked up the dust well.

4F61BECA-0EA2-49DC-8410-BB3EC273FE12.jpg
    00FF887C-9C8A-4964-8F76-1A8C640EC8A9.jpg

Thanks for the test and info Joe.

Amana makes one, 60mm, 100mm tall rub collar available. Tool#61293. Been going to try one next time I have a need.

I tried it today at 6000. That does not work, real grabby and leaves a funny surface. Amana says 4500 for theirs. I will try that tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    Rod what do you use for sandpaper ? Is that the Felder drum? Does it require a light touch to sand without burning ? Thanks for the info and pictures. Mike.
    Happy New Year Mike, I won't ask if it's cold, it's cold in Toronto.

Yes, that's the Felder Schlefix drum.

I use cloth backed paper for belts on it, it sands well.

There have been lots of people who have previously commented about how the shaper is too fast however 3,000 RPM seems fine, I also have a 60mm drum.........Rod.

Rod it was -34 two days ago but it has since warmed up to -5. The cold lasted about two weeks. Happy new year to you as well. Thanks for the reply. Mike.

[QUOTE=Mike Kees;2761386]Rod it was

Mike, It's -12, heading to -24 by Friday, thanks for sending that to us. At least it's warmer here than where my daughter is (Saskatoon).......Rod.