Thread: I need a good wood source in Jacksonville Florida

I need a good wood source in Jacksonville Florida

Does anyone have a good wood source in or near Jacksonville, Fl?

I'm looking mostly for white and red oak but I'm also looking for other hardwoods. Some S4S at the local Lowes and Home Depot but they are just too expensive.

It looks like there's a place called Carolina Lumber on Phelps Street. Have you tried them ?

No, sir.

I'll give them a try and see what they have.

www.floridacypress.com If you want cypress, this is the place. He's got some other stuff, but the name says it all. Owner is a nice guy I met surfing the Poles a few years back.

http://www.fspcjax.com/lumber/ caters to the cabinet shop types but will sell small lots without issue - great for ply, but decent selection of 4/4 domestics.

Woodcraft at Beach and St. Johns Bluff. It's Woodcraft, but they do have a decent stock and occasionally get a load of roughsawn something or other that's relatively inexpensive..

Search craigslist, a fair number of small mill operators will pop up but it is inconsistent.

Otherwise, you might have to drive up towards SAV, down towards GNV/MCO/DAB areas, or into the panhandle.

Hope that helps.

Marshall

It depends on what you want to buy, and how much. I have moved away from NE Florida (St Augustine) but when I lived there I bought larger quantities (for me) of hardwood and plywood from Florida Southern Plywood. They were very much oriented to contractors but served my purpose well if I could state what I wanted in terms of the trade. For smaller quantities, the Woodcraft store on Beach Blvd was always worth a shot. The only white oak I bought while I was in Florida was from Woodcraft.
    I got nice exotics from Amazon Exotic Hardwoods in Casselberry. Prices were great and shipping by UPS was quick and not too expensive. For cypress I always used Griffis Lumber in Gainesville. Their stock was good and reasonably priced (for cypress) and they were always glad to see me.
    Doug

If you ever travel through middle Georgia, the Perry area, I am located about 10 miles SE of Perry (10 miles SE of I-75). I have red oak and white oak. My red oak is about 1/2 the price of the Box stores.

Hood Dist 5311 Doolittle Rd 783-0170. Mon-Fri. Will call 8-12, 100BF minimum. They have the usual, chrerry, walnut etc. Any I have gotten is good and dry. It has been awhile since I've dealt with them si I would call first. All sizes 2 quarter on up to ?.

Thanks everyone.
    I have been checking Craigslist but that seems hit and miss. Stuff is there one time you search and not another so it seems like you have to hit it just right.
    I found out about Hood Dist today at church and I will take a trip to Woodcraft this week to check them out.
    I stumbled across a Craigslist add for Florida Cypress and Florida Southern was completely new to me
    I'll hang on to the Cassleberry, Gainesville and Perry locations as I always enjoy a short road trip. My Dad was a truck driver and some of my ealiest memories of him were riding in the passenger seat of an old B moedl Mack. Always have loved driving.
    Got to do some garage cleanup so that I have some room for lumber.