Thread: Grizzlys 10” wet grinder in their new catalog is $139.00.

Grizzlys 10” wet grinder in their new catalog is $139.00.

Sure looks like my Tormek for which I paid a bundle more. My son keeps coming over to use my Tormek to sharpen his knifes. If someone told me they had a Grizzly wet grinder and it performed as well as my Grizzly 1023SL table saw, that would solve my dilemma of what to get my son for his birthday. Tormek, is $719.00 (Woodcraft) plus another $100.00 or so for Tormek accessories, thus, I haven’t been thinking about a Tormek for his bd. Thoughts?
    Real American Heros don't wear Capes, they wear Dogtags.

Hi Don,
    I don't know anything about the Griz. But I had the worst "tool experience" of my life with a Tormek knock-off sold by another name brand company for about $300, a couple years back. It proved to me in no uncertain terms that in wet grinders, you get what you pay for. There seem to be many ways to cut corners and "cheapify" them.

Background - My $300 machine came with everything I needed - didn't have to buy anything extra to sharpen chisels and plane irons. But it had a stone that cut poorly and clogged quickly. The stone did not "regrade" between the 2 advertized grits. The drive belt broke in the first hour of use and the replacement started to visibly wear very quickly. The performance was just lousy overall. The combination of these things convinced me to return it to the vendor at my expense. It was the only power tool I've ever truly hated using and I was glad to get rid of it, even at a loss.

I can't imagine a $140 machine being any better.

If you can swing it, take a look at the Tormek T4. It's $400 + accessories and I haven't heard many grumbles about it.

Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 12-29-2017 at 7:16 AM. Reason: Clarify
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Don Morris View Post
    Sure looks like my Tormek for which I paid a bundle more. My son keeps coming over to use my Tormek to sharpen his knifes. If someone told me they had a Grizzly wet grinder and it performed as well as my Grizzly 1023SL table saw, that would solve my dilemma of what to get my son for his birthday. Tormek, is $719.00 (Woodcraft) plus another $100.00 or so for Tormek accessories, thus, I haven’t been thinking about a Tormek for his bd. Thoughts?
    Be glad your son is coming over. I would buy him more knifes.

I have a lot of Grizzly tools and the ones I have run well. I have not really heard a lot of good reviews out of this sharpener or the Jet for that matter. Rikon labels one also but I have not heard anything about that one.

Still want to hear from a Grizzly wet stone owner. My experience with Grizzly has been good, but each item might have it’s own story.
    Real American Heros don't wear Capes, they wear Dogtags.

I am not a Grizzly wet stone owner, but in general it has been my impression and experience that the first thing one usually does after buying an inexpensive knock-off tool is to replace the consumable part that comes with it ( blade, bit, grinding wheel, stone, etc) with a quality item.

So I would be adding the cost of a good quality replacement wet stone into the equation ...

Bill
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

I have the 10" Grizzly grinder. Mine is 5 years old or so. It does a good job of sharpening chisels and plane irons. It is messy, but it's just water. Here's a review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lv6RjjHn_Qg

I do agree with Allen - Buy your son more knives instead.

My dad has the Grizzly anniversary edition of this grinder and it works well for general sharpening jobs. The post/crossbar work fine but he ended up dumping the accessories because of their poor quality and buying Tormek accessories. I have always considered buying one myself, but I am pretty happy with my sandpaper and granite plate.

It may be typically true that"you get what you pay for". However, there are some great bargains to be had as well if you are shrewd and careful. Bradley produced an informative video to help you decide.