Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mid-Priced Lathe Comparison Shopping Results?

Quote Originally Posted by David M Peters View Post
    Scott I made a filter view in my lathe spreadsheet that shows machines under $3500 with the heaviest sorted to the top. Have you considered the 3HP Grizzly G0800 option? If this is truly your "last lathe" you might as well get 3HP.
    Have to agree, you should consider this lathe as well. I have turned on the Laguna 2436 (same as Grizzly GO800) for the past 2 1/2 years and am totally satisfied. This lathe includes a great tailstock swing away and weighs in over 800LBS. Leg stance is much wider than the 766 and offers much better stability. This lathe is totally rock solid. With three horse power It is very rare that I ever change belt speeds.
    I know this is the upper limit of your budget, but could be your last lathe.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Turnquist View Post
    Thank you on the Laguna comment. I checked over the bearing types, and not only is there only one bearing each end, the load ratings on them are about 1/2 to 1/3 of those on the other machines. [...]
    Scott, Just curious about this comment. The Laguna 1836 uses a 6207 LLU (two rubber seals) bearing on the inboard side. As comparison, the PM 3520c uses two 6207 ZZ (two metal shields) bearings. Doubling up the bearings notwithstanding (and introducing its own set of alignment issues), and given the same bearing number (6207), please elaborate on the "1/2 to 1/3" statement above. Thanks!

Ely

I turn on a Nova DVR with the rotating headstock. FWIW, I’ve never noticed any vibration from the headstock not tightening down securely. I have mine setup as 2HP and have been pretty much happy with its performance. I would like to have a sliding headstock for hollowing, more HP and greater swing, but that can wait until my dream lathe, a Robust AB, becomes a reality.

Clint

Quote Originally Posted by Clint Baxter View Post
    I turn on a Nova DVR with the rotating headstock. FWIW, I’ve never noticed any vibration from the headstock not tightening down securely. I have mine setup as 2HP and have been pretty much happy with its performance. I would like to have a sliding headstock for hollowing, more HP and greater swing, but that can wait until my dream lathe, a Robust AB, becomes a reality.

Clint
    I agree completely with your assessment as another NOVA DVR XP owner with the identical configuration as your own. Yes...I would like to have the new Galaxy sliding headstock, one more HP, and more weight...but other than those items, mine does all that I can ask for. Like you...there may be a 'big boy' lathe for me down the road but right now I'm satisfied.

Something that I've wondered for several years but never thought to ask until now are those machines with and those without belts. One of the reasons I settled on the NOVA DVR XP several years ago was there wasn't a belt and I recognize from the many posts that there are easy machines to change belts on versus the difficult and many operational variations in between. Are there benefits to having a belt driven machine...and if not, why don't more companies migrate to the Teknatool model? thanks...John

Only one lathe with a pivoting head stock gets my vote, and that is the Vickmark. A bit beyond your price range though...

robo hippy

What about if the motor malfunctions? How much does it cost to replace? (My guess is more than a regular motor).

Plus I use my belt tension as a sort of overload clutch for big slow turnings. It lessens the impact of a nasty catch. My guess is the integrated motor will try to compensate for a catch thus making it worse. (That is not based on any factual knowledge.) Someone with more knowledge and experience than me may correct or confirm this.

clint

Scott, you might look into the Grizzly G0835. I've only seen it mentioned in the new catalog and guessing it will be less than the G0800. Should make a heck of a bowl lathe.

OK:

I reviewed all of the options shown and commented on in this thread and I thank you all for your great inputs.

I did end up ordering a Laguna 18/36, even though it has only the one bearing for the headstock - I can replace that easily enough should it become necessary.

I came down to comments by owners of the Grizzly's that transitioned to the Laguna and have nothing but good to even great comments on it, as well as being the right height for a 5'-7" tall wood turner. My old lathe is mounted off its legs and on a home made lathe bench made from 2x6's and added sand bags when I needed them (the sand tends to get moved to outdoor yard projects eventually so I could make it low enough to get my tools level at elbow height.

I did add the 12" swing out extension so I can get the tailstock out of the way when hollowing. I found out that you cannot order the lathe from Laguna directly, hence a $75 drop shipping surcharge, BUT, you can order the extension beds from Laguna directly and they charge a flat $5 (yes that's five dollars) shipping fee rather than tacking on an additional $75 shipping charge just for the extension.

All that said, I will get on this board with my comments as I set it up and use it.

For power, I am adding a 4 circuit breaker remote electrical load center distribution box between my cabinet saw 220Vac 30 amp supply line from the main house circuit breaker panel. This will have twenty amp CBs so I can drop new 220Vac and 115Vac lines to my new lathe and hand tools or lighting in the area. I am also adding a remote ON/OFF power switch so I can fully isolate the lathe from the house power when I am not using it; I want to protect it from lightning surges.

Thanks again

Scott Turnquist

I ve been eye balling the 0835, it looks like everything a bowl turner would want in a nice compact package. The only downside I could see is if you wanted to turn some really large vessels in the future you'd be stuck buying an extension.

I have seen a couple references to the 0835 lathe, but what brand is being referenced. I don’t see a Grizzly G0835 listed.

Left click my name for homepage link.

12. Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    I have seen a couple references to the 0835 lathe, but what brand is being referenced. I don’t see a Grizzly G0835 listed.
    John, the G0835 uses the same frame/headstock as the G0800, only has a shorter 24" length bed, instead of the 48" of the 0800......sort of like how Harvey Industries cut down the 3520b to make it the 2020b. Listed in the new 2018 catalog on page 156.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I searched the Grizzly site, but I tossed my catalogue when it came in not having a current use for it. Guess the site hasn't caught up with the print catalogue or I am missing something in my search. Just curious as to what folks were referring to.

Left click my name for homepage link.

The NOVA DVR has a load detection feature, which if the load goes above a set limit such as with a catch the motor shuts down. This limit is user adjustable