Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: wooden planes

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Would take all day, using them way too thin shavings, just to joint a few edges. Fine if all one is doing, is showing off....I haven't the time for that
    I couldn’t agree with you more, although this is a bit off topic. When jointing & flattening I like to take the thickest tearout-free shaving that I can (within reason) to expediate the task. Even when smoothing I usually take thicker shavings than what most people seem to like to post pictures of...
    ---Trudging the Road of Happy Destiny---

Blog Entries
    Most of the time my shavings are as thick as is comfortable for me to make with the plane in use. For final smoothing the thickness is dialed down to produce the best surface.

Now days sandpaper is pretty much only used on the lathe or on metal.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by brian zawatsky View Post
    I couldn’t agree with you more, although this is a bit off topic. When jointing & flattening I like to take the thickest tearout-free shaving that I can (within reason) to expediate the task. Even when smoothing I usually take thicker shavings than what most people seem to like to post pictures of...
    Steven and Brian; then study the photos before you aim those pointed arrows in my direction. That larger pile of thicker shavings were from dressing that board close to final dimension. That smaller pile of thinner shavings were from final smoothing of the primary surfaces. 30+ years in the trade as a Carpenter & Joiner, I don't need a lesson from you 2 on how to use a hand plane.

Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 01-03-2018 at 7:32 PM.

Stewie - take a Xanax and relax lol! I was not addressing my comments at anyone in particular, and certainly not at you. My apologies if it came off that way; it was not my intention.
    ---Trudging the Road of Happy Destiny---