Thread: Pay Pal

Thumbs down Pay Pal

Guys, a word of caution. I logged on to my pay pal account today in attempt to purchase from a member here and got scammed . NOT BY THE MEMBER. My email had said I had charged monies to a company in europe. Needless to say i changed my password and my account shows no activity to that company. Just be careful out there.

And you contacted Paypal, right?
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Doesn’t sound like you got scammed to me. Sounds like you got a phishing email.

I agree with Matt. Sounds like a classic phishing email. I hope you didn't click any links in the email to login. Just to be clear there are some pretty authentic looking fake sites. They get you to click on an official looking link and everything looks good. Only problem is they just got your logon information and now can do real harm to you.

<p>
    Here is a way to reduce phlishing emails. Use a different email address for each account: one for ebay, one for paypal, one for bank A, one for bank B, etc. Use the assigned email for logging in or communicting with the designated entity. In other words, the dedicated email addresses are only known to the dedicated parties and no one else. Unless the business sells your email to a third party, phlishing emails should not reach you.Simon</p>
    Last edited by Simon MacGowen; 12-28-2017 at 10:14 PM.

Blog Entries
    It may not be clear what others have said. If you clicked a link in the email, you may not have been taken to PayPal- you may have been taken to a fake PayPal site. You thought you were logging in, but they got your login. You need to go to PayPal and change the password again, just to be sure you are on the real PayPal site.

If you didn't click a link in the email and manually went to PayPal on your own, then you are OK.

Yes- I have gotten some very real looking PayPal emails. They copy the real PayPal exactly, but the website address isn't actually PayPal. Forward any emails to PayPal's spam department. PayPal can give you the email- I believe it is spa buster(at)paypal(dot)com but call them and see. They will work to get the fake site shut down.

I receive PayPal phishing emails every week in an email account that has never been associated with my PayPal account. I used to forward them to PayPal, but now I just deleted them. The address to use for forwarding suspicious PayPal emails is spoof@paypal.com, and more information is available at the PayPal Security web page.

As mentioned in the other thread about this subject, hovering the cursor over the suspicious link in the email will usually show the actual link, such as support.paypal.com. While the link might look legitimate, the actual URL is not.