Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beginner question - Options for flexibility / transitional vehicle garage workspace?

Beginner question - Options for flexibility / transitional vehicle garage workspace?

My 1st post - Have been browsing/searching this newly discovered for months now, LOVE IT! Lots of fantastic wood shops (large and small) to admire. Looking at starting out in woodworking after years of admiring my father-in-laws work. Unfortunately never had the time to spend with him in his shop when he was still alive (miss him a lot - a really good guy). Here is my challenge:
    • house is on .4 acre city lot, but we are not allowed to do a separate workshop, per city ordinance the only outbuilding I can do is a 10X12 max yard shed.
    • basement level is already completely finished wall to wall which we use for living space, no space option available there.
    • 3car garage is only 884 sqft, stuffed with 3 cars (Ford Escape, F150 and a classic Mustang), lawn tractor, snowblower, chest freezer, garden tools, tool box, race tires, TIG welder, air compressor, etc.
    • a new yard shed will be going up this spring which will clear out a lot, but still leaving 3 vehicles and the chest freezer.
    • I can park my work truck outside full time in the summer, but in the winter ,well, this is Minnesota. Its gotta come inside occasionally during sub-zero weather and snow storms.

How do ya all that have to do woodworking out of a garage that has to be occupied by vehicles go about transitioning back and forth? Even along the walls I have only about 2ft for any kind of cabinets or storage. Also have 2 large windows on the north wall taking up wall space, as well as a bumped in closet and stairs taking up space along the front. Gives me about 14 in bumper space to park my F150. A few ideas Ive and/or considering:
    • Flip top bench tool storage
    • I have tall ceiling (11-1/2 ft) – maybe a dropdown workbench stored at the ceiling?
    • Roller bases for stationary tools
    • Storage lumber/boards in already existing shelves above garage doors.

What I need help with:
    • Table saw temporary usage/storage
    • Outfeed solutions?
    • Workbench options?

Tools I have so far (mostly gifts / garage sale stuff):
    • Small power tools (skilsaw, drills, RO sander, jigsaw, scroll saw, miter saw)
    • Hand tools (1 jack plane, 6 various clamps, chisels, pocket hole jig, combination squares)

Next on my wish list:
    • Table Saw
    • Router
    • Dust collector
    • Workbench

Before I started on my basement shop, I worked in my garage and had similar space constraints that you describe. I had enough room in my two-car garage for two Ford Mondeos, a workbench at the rear of the garage, a small bench and large shelves on one side, and smaller shelves on the other side.

In order to fit the static stuff and the cars, one car had to be pulled in nose first, and the other car (mine) was backed in. I had about three inches of space between the passenger side of my car and the side workbench, and about two feet between the rear bumper and the back bench. My wife had about a foot between her passenger side and the small shelves, and there was enough room between the driver's side doors that we could easily get in and out of the cars. We each had about four inches of space between the roll-up door and the car bumpers. I used bricks as wheel chocks so we knew when to stop in the garage. It is cozy, but it works.

I looked for a few months to find a suitable equipment that I could move out of the way in the gaps between shelves and workbenches and still be able to pull them out into the open space when the cars were in the driveway. I chose the TWX7 Triton Workcentre for the table saw, router table, and smaller portable work surface. The table saw and router table inserts are not precision tools by any definition, but are accurate enough for what I was doing at the time. The best feature for me was the ability to fold up the Workcentre table and store it along the wall between the side bench and large shelves. The saw and router table inserts stack on the side workbench. However, any of the inserts can be safely left in the Workcentre when it is folded for storage

The outfeed and side support that are optional with the TWX7 provide a modest increase to the working surface for cutting sheet goods, but is not adequate for ripping a full sheet of plywood. I used my circular saw and rail system if I was making an accurate ripping cut. If I didn't have the basement shop, I would have built folding outfeed tables.

Before I added the larger shelves for my Bosch L-Boxx storage, I also had a 14-inch bandsaw and a 10-inch jointer/planer in the garage. Each was on a rolling base, so they could be moved out into the middle of the garage for use, and then pushed back to the wall when not being used. I had to move both to the basement for storage as soon as I installed the larger shelving, as there was no more space for them.

I did not have a dust collection system in my garage. The natural airflow when the back door was open and the main roll-up door was open about a foot, took almost all of the dust out the back door to the open fields. The larger chips stayed in the garage to be swept up at the end of the day. I had a good 3M mask with replaceable filters that I wore anytime I was working.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Marthaler View Post
    How do ya all that have to do woodworking out of a garage that has to be occupied by vehicles go about transitioning back and forth?
    First, let me welcome you to SMC!

In my last house I had a basement workshop that often flowed over into the rest of the basement for larger projects. When we moved two years ago, the decision to live with a nice view and a canal that led to the ocean won out over my desires for at least a 2 car garage. I grabbed one bedroom for my hand tool workshop and foolishly thought I could fit the big power tools up against the wall and still fit in my Jeep.

Two years later my Jeep has yet to see any garage time and the one car garage has been dedicated to workshop #2. I am wearing out the new flooring between the bedroom workshop and the garage. And am thinking of replacing a window in the bathroom (that looks into the garage) with a door to shorten the path.

Bottom like is we make do with whatever we have.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Mobility for your tools is the key to making this work. Move the cars out, move the machines for use, move the machines back to whatever space serves as your "tool corral" when they are not in use and then put the vehicles back inside.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Just to expand on Mike's brick chocks on the floor method for aligning the cars into a tight space, I had an uncle who lived in California where the house lots and garages were really small and he hung a string with a small nut tied on the end off the garage ceiling so it just touched the windshield when he was an inch from the wall, which would allow him to just close the garage door. Pretty clever.

Re your situation- EVERYTHING goes on locking wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zellers View Post
    ...he hung a string with a small nut tied on the end off the garage ceiling so it just touched the windshield when he was an inch from the wall, which would allow him to just close the garage door....
    I did the same but with a fishing bobber at the end of the string. Leaves me 2 inches at the rear bumper (I have to always remember to remove the receiver hitch) and about 12 inches in front to squeeze by.

Blog Entries
    Welcome. Sell Mustang, buy tools and materials.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I suppose moving to Florida where you can park outside year round is out of the question? I only have 3 neighbors (of 12 houses on my street) that park cars in the garage. Everyone else parks in the driveway and street.
    Been out of woodworking for a few years (apprx 15) so I am starting to convert my garage into a shop. No cars in it but lots of acumulated junk and car parts belonging to my son. Its going to be a fun experience.
    I still have the drills, routers and tabletop bandsaw and drill press etc. Going mobile bases so 90% of my work will be done in the driveway. Got a neighbor 3 houses down on the corner that does it that way. I know him but not too well. I plan on visiting and seeing if he can joint and plane wood for me until I can get those tools. I have another friend who has built a separate shop but he lives too far away to be practical for tool sharing. Do you have someone that will let you us their tools for some of the big stuff?
    Anyway, I'll be following your progress and hoping for lots of pictures.
    Good luck.

Welcome Doug! Glad to have you with us!

I agree with previous posters who said put everything on wheels and to use a portable bench like the Triton. I use these.

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zellers View Post
    Just to expand on Mike's brick chocks on the floor method for aligning the cars into a tight space, I had an uncle who lived in California where the house lots and garages were really small and he hung a string with a small nut tied on the end off the garage ceiling so it just touched the windshield when he was an inch from the wall, which would allow him to just close the garage door. Pretty clever.
    I did the same but with a fishing bobber at the end of the string. Leaves me 2 inches at the rear bumper (I have to always remember to remove the receiver hitch) and about 12 inches in front to squeeze by.
    I marked the locations for each brick with a little spray paint to make the alignment easy if the bricks are moved. The hanging bobbles are a great idea and should help when pulling into the garage by giving a point of reference (aiming point). I found a tennis ball that should work fine. I'll see if I can rig up the string so the ball is lowered when the garage door is open and raised when the door is closed.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kreinhop View Post
    I'll see if I can rig up the string so the ball is lowered when the garage door is open and raised when the door is closed.
    That's a brilliant idea! I'm continually running into that stupid ball when working in the shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    ...I agree with previous posters who said put everything on wheels and to use a portable bench like the Triton. I use these. Fred
    Fred, do you use these on your table saw? Do you have any of the extenders?

I believe you said you have lots of height in your garage. That gives you the option of using a kayak/canoe hoist for lighter machines or make a stronger version with a small boat winch for heavy tools.
    kayak/canoe hoist

Fred, do you use these on your table saw? Do you have any of the extenders?
    Doug, I use them on several tools incl 2 bandsaws and a jointer. You should be able to use one on a contractor saw if it has two "normal size" wings. (I have not used extenders. My tablesaw is very long. I built a custom base from a plan in WOOD.)

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    That's a brilliant idea! I'm continually running into that stupid ball when working in the shop.
    I use a laser. Several manufacturers, including Ryobi, make one. Mine is Genie