Thread: What size for pen blanks?

What size for pen blanks?

I make a pen every 5 years whether I need to or not. For those who make pens often what sizes are the most useful? I was processing some tropical woods today into spindle turning blanks and there are plenty of leftovers, some with beautiful figure and color. Maybe I'll cut some into pen blanks.

A month ago I cut a hundred of so blanks from cocobolo to maple burl to olive and took some to the turning club for an auction. One pen turner old me he preferred 3/4"sq by 6" long, another said 5/8"sq by 5" was good for him.

Is there a preferred size range? Are larger better for some things? I look at cocobolo blanks on PSI and saw 5/8"x5/8"x5", 3/4"x3/4"x5", and 1"x1"x12". I see other blanks are 5-1/2" long.

JKJ

I’ll generally cut them at 3/4”+ by 5 1/4”,

I cut mine 3/4x3/4 and as long as possible. Well up to about 3 foot long. I then cut to length as needed, this way I only had one little cut off to figure out what to do with. Cutting to to 5" or 6" leaves a cut off on every one.

I'm with Marvin. Or just leave them as boards and cut them to suit the project you need including stuff other than pens. Little boxes, pendants, drawer handles etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Christensen View Post
    I'm with Marvin. Or just leave them as boards and cut them to suit the project you need including stuff other than pens. Little boxes, pendants, drawer handles etc.
    Thanks. I don't need any myself, I have more wood than I need. I was wanting to cut them for others to use.

So people cut them 3/4" square, I assume that's the "desired" diameter. What about the 5/8" square by 5" long I see in the ads, is that the minimum useful size?

JKJ

Thats cutting it close for some kits, like a Sierra, it uses a 27/64 drill bit. If everything goes perfectly you have 5/64 to play with. After sanding the wood would be about 1/32 thick. I don't care for the fat looking barrels or WASP waist type pens, but 1/32 isn't enough wood for me. For slim lines, I have used 1/2 blanks, but I cheat, I turn the blank between centers and the drill using my collet chuck to hold them, there is no error on getting it perfectly centered.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin Hasenak View Post
    Thats cutting it close for some kits, like a Sierra, it uses a 27/64 drill bit. If everything goes perfectly you have 5/64 to play with. After sanding the wood would be about 1/32 thick. I don't care for the fat looking barrels or WASP waist type pens, but 1/32 isn't enough wood for me. For slim lines, I have used 1/2 blanks, but I cheat, I turn the blank between centers and the drill using my collet chuck to hold them, there is no error on getting it perfectly centered.
    That makes sense. One guy told me he could use 1/2" but only if the wood was spectacular.

I think the guy who wanted 5/8" blanks only turns slim lines for Pens for the Troops.