Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Laguna 18-36 - any experience?

Prashun, that is strange as I have two Robust straight rests and one fit perfectly and the other was just a tad snug and required a “once around” with a draw file lightly and dressed with 320 grit. Both work fine now. Obviously, there was some variance in my two Robust rests, so it is possible that the post on yours may be a bit off. Can you get a good measurement on it?

Left click my name for homepage link.

Am I missing something? I use the handwheel on my G0766 all the time ... why doesn't the Revo have one? ... or is it an option? I'm asking since in my new place I don't have a 220 V line and getting one in would be a MAJOR production so I'm thinking of making a change to the 18/36 110 V

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Shanaphy View Post
    Am I missing something? I use the handwheel on my G0766 all the time ... why doesn't the Revo have one? ... or is it an option? I'm asking since in my new place I don't have a 220 V line and getting one in would be a MAJOR production so I'm thinking of making a change to the 18/36 110 V
    Well there is a "handwheel", so to speak. Ther is a ~2" diameter ~3" long cylinder that is used as the handwheel. It is threaded at the end to accept the Laguna vacuum adapter.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Thanks, John. The Robust rest clamps sweetly, but slips. I'll try cleaning the post and the hole. I have heard nary a complaint about either this rest or banjo, so I think it is probably fixable on my end.

I was able to carry the legs and ways into the basement myself. My wife helped me with the headstock.

I am in the process of building the ballast box, heretofore known as the "Keeton Koffin" tonight. I have a defunct treadmill deck that will form the sides.

I took it for a test spin already. Some initial impressions:

+
    I am impressed by the machining. Bolts and parts just line up very nicely.
    I like the sliding action of the tool rest and tail stock on the steel ways. It's smooth.
    The belt changing is easy and convenient.
    I like the stance of the legs. They are super stable even unsupported.
    I like the super long travel of the tail stock quill.
    I find the accessories (spur center, live center, tool rest) appear very well made.

-
    I have the halogen light. I am not sure why they made it 220v, but fine. The articulating arm could be longer. I also find the hinge action a little tight. When adjusting the bolts and nut, they were prone to strip.
    Turnbolts on tool rest and tail stock: I hope I get used to them. I also find them to be inconveniently located. Luckily, they don't require much force to engage (+) so I'm hoping I can replace them with something smaller even if it sacrifices a little leverage.
    The duplicator brackets are puzzling. The light mounts to them, but the tail stock bracket is inconveniently located by the locking tail stock lever.
    For the assembly, they use a confusing array of hex key sizes. I think I needed about 5 different wrenches. Not a big deal, but I didn't understand the reason for that much diversity.
    The instructions were a little sparse. The YT videos, on the other hand were superb.
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 02-01-2018 at 3:13 PM.

I didn't put the Headstock/Tailstock brackets on mine... I just use the magnetic base lamp from Lee Valley if I need it and just stick it anywhere on the lathe..

Storage

I completed the ballast box and storage cabinet. The top slopes to the back to channel shavings and so that tools placed on the ledge will roll into the ways, not off the front.

I extended the leg bolts on the tail side to secure a plywood platform for temporary tool storage. It's an ideal location because the posts don't obstruct the cabinet doors.
    Attached Images Attached Images

7. Nice, Prashun!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post

I extended the leg bolts on the tail side to secure a plywood platform for temporary tool storage. It's an ideal location because the posts don't obstruct the cabinet doors.
    Brilliant!
    Be Blessed

George

Do you have a stop/emergency switch at the tailstock end Prashun ??, something I would want if something gets out of control, not having to go through the line of fire to stop the machine.
    Have fun and take care

I don't. The 24-36 Laguna has a moveable switch. The 18-36 does not.

John, have you noticed that the banjo lever has some spring back when the lever side is close to the ways? I can't figure out how to stop it...

No spring back. The only instability in the banjo is if it is fully extended such that the clamp washer is not fully engaging the underside of the ways. In that situation the banjo will not clamp down securely.

Left click my name for homepage link.

13. Sounds like your banjo nut underneath the clamp plate may need adjustment....perhaps 1/2 a turn or less. At least that is a good starting place. If that doesn't work, then take the banjo off, turn upside down and move the clamping mechanism around and see if it is binding somewhere. Not sure on your Laguna, but some banjo mechanisms have an eliptical cam that slide on the bar, or have a washer that seats into that cam, and if it is off to one side, it might not seat correctly as well.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    John, have you noticed that the banjo lever has some spring back when the lever side is close to the ways? I can't figure out how to stop it...
    Prashun... I have noticed the same thing...if I'm doing a big bowl and the banjo is far from the lathe bed it latches in with about 30 degrees of movement... If I'm doing something small and the banjo is close to the lathe bed I do notice the spring back unless I push the handle down about 70 or 80 degrees to lock in. I had a long talk with Brian Bennett from Laguna and he has the same on his 18/36. He doesn't have an answer for it but I said it's not really a big deal.. I just have to move the lever more to lock it in when I'm close to the lathe bed..... I just wanted to get his opinion... I tried adjusting the nut under the banjo but didn't really do much to help..as Roger stated there is an eliptical cam under the banjo that Brian thought may be the cause but I haven't taken mine off to look yet... Feel free to give him a call if you want..he's very helpful and will listen to any concerns you might have.
    Last edited by Barry McFadden; 02-28-2018 at 2:24 PM.

Thanks, Guys. I like this lathe plenty. Had my first chance to use the sliding head stock today. What a joy. But.... I do find the tool rest latch and lever to get in the way of each other. In this instance, cranking the lever down further was not an option because the ways was in the way (did I just write that?)