Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Laguna 18-36 - any experience?

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wilson80 View Post
    Any issues with power/stalling with the 110v? Do you core and if so, does the 110v do ok? Thanks, this is the first review of the 110v I have found online so it is very helpful!
    Tom
    Tom...no issues with stalling of any kind...I don't do coring but I do a lot of large bowl blanks and have had no problem taking a heavy cut with them..

2. Rockler has it for 10% off right now. Just got the email

Prashun,
    I have had the 1836 (220v) for about a month.
    No issues.
    Easy assembly. Great videos.
    Very good fit and finish.
    Works without a flaw.
    No regrets.

Prashun, I watched a You-tube vid on this lathe last night. The lathe ran for about maybe 10 minutes, before it caught on fire and almost burn the fellow's shop down. If you want to check the video out on You-tube, look up Stelios The Greek videos. He sent the lathe back, he would have nothing to do with it. In the end, I think he ended up purchasing one of the new Nova Galaxy lathes.
    Len

I saw that video and the comments below lead me to believe this was a one-off experience. The video also did not post Laguna's resolution of the issue. I am not dismissing the video, just skeptical that it's anything more than a red herring.

The Delta S1 inverter/VFD on the Laguna is shared by many of the current lathes (and used for years on the PM 3520B) and that appeared to be the source of the problem. I don’t think I could categorically condemn that entire model/brand on the failure of the VFD supplied by a component vendor.
    Last edited by John Keeton; 01-06-2018 at 8:22 AM.

Left click my name for homepage link.

Quote Originally Posted by Len Mullin View Post
    Prashun, I watched a You-tube vid on this lathe last night. The lathe ran for about maybe 10 minutes, before it caught on fire and almost burn the fellow's shop down. If you want to check the video out on You-tube, look up Stelios The Greek videos. He sent the lathe back, he would have nothing to do with it. In the end, I think he ended up purchasing one of the new Nova Galaxy lathes.
    Len
    I saw the video... Sounded like a big capacitor blew up in the Delta Electronics S1 inverter... He could (should) have just replaced the inverter under warranty and move on, but he chose to return the whole thing.. (and buy a Nova). All I can say is, "It is a tale. Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,. Signifying nothing."

Ely

Quote Originally Posted by ELY WALTON View Post
    I saw the video... Sounded like a big capacitor blew up in the Delta Electronics S1 inverter... He could (should) have just replaced the inverter under warranty and move on, but he chose to return the whole thing.. (and buy a Nova). All I can say is, "It is a tale. Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,. Signifying nothing."

Ely
    Ely, you read my mind. I would have got another inverter. Would have been peeved, but not at Laguna or the design. That inverter has been in use a long time and in general it is reliable.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Len Mullin View Post
    Len
    I trust VERY FEW Youtube videos of this sort... I think most of them are set up in order to get "views" for their own gain.......to easy to set up a "failure" ....just watched the video now....guy wears no face shield...dressed like he's going to the beach... not exactly someone I would trust with a lathe video demonstration!!!..... also these guys are drama queens...look at the picture for the video... all kinds of flames !!!!..again .. to draw people in to view it... also his comments about "exploding" and "almost burnt the shop down"... come on...a bit of smoke is all I saw and very little at that.... I've created more smoke in my shop from burning lines on a bowl with a wire!!!
    Last edited by Barry McFadden; 01-07-2018 at 10:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry McFadden View Post
    I trust VERY FEW Youtube videos of this sort... I think most of them are set up in order to get "views" for their own gain.......to easy to set up a "failure" ....just watched the video now....guy wears no face shield...dressed like he's going to the beach... not exactly someone I would trust with a lathe video demonstration!!!..... also these guys are drama queens...look at the picture for the video... all kinds of flames !!!!..again .. to draw people in to view it... also his comments about "exploding" and "almost burnt the shop down"... come on...a bit of smoke is all I saw and very little at that.... I've created more smoke in my shop from burning lines on a bowl with a wire!!!
    My thoughts as well. Smoke? Sure. Flames? Nope, no signs of burning anywhere.

In trying to find out some info on the 24-36, all I get is, "At that price I would only consider a 3520B". Really hard to find objective or informed info out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    In trying to find out some info on the 24-36, all I get is, "At that price I would only consider a 3520B". Really hard to find objective or informed info out there.
    You pay your money and take your chances. Personally I love the 3520 but don't want to heve the same lathe as everyone else.

Only comparison I can make here is with the Jet 1 1/2 hp 16 inch lathe that runs on 110 or 220. The 110 stalls easily for the way I turn, which is more production style. I had to slow way down on the cuts I made with both the standard cutting and coring. It does a fairly good job coring. My 1 1/2 hp Robust Liberty has no issues that way. Only real issue I have with the Laguna is their mobility wheel brackets. Fine if you don't use the sliding headstock, but if you do, they are in the way for stepping around the end to the lathe bed. I would take them off if I had it.

robo hippy

I pulled the trigger and purchased the Laguna REVO 18-36 (220v). I thought I'd write this for the benefit of anyone in my boat considering this.

I was considering the Powermatic 3520C, the REVO 24-36, and even the Robust lathes.

For ME, I don't turn enough to justify the investment into the super premium lathes, so after some deep breaths, I realized MY money is better spent on upgrading my accessories and tools than in horsepower and mass. I anticipate needing to turn larger and rougher things less and less as I age. I believe I was wooed (for better or worse) into considering pricier lathes by people who turn far more frequently and larger than I do. In the end I had to step back and consider my own potential use.

The 18-36 has a conical headstock and a lower stance. Being a shorter bowl turner, these things are good me. The weight @ 400+ lbs is more manageable for me to get into my basement, but about 3x what I'm used to, so I suspect it will be fine. I also suspect that the lower height will contribute to improving stability even at reduced mass. I like that the lathe extension can be mounted perpendicular to the headstock as well as on the end. I haven't purchased the extension, but I like having the option if it comes up on occasion.

The 24-36 was my second choice. This featured of course larger capacity and power, but also has a 3" taller (standard) spindle height. This is good for some but I prefer the lower stance. It also features a moveable control box. I did not like this machine $1000 more than the 18-36.

My only trepidation with Laguna was a reputation for sub-par customer service. However, current users don't seem to share this opinion, and therefore I have reason to believe this may be a thing of the past. I also don't (this is MY opinion) don't want to trust that the quality of a 2018 PM3520C is equivalent to a 2008 PM3520B. I could not find any user reviews of the new PM for me to make an informed decision.

Unfortunately I did not have the luxury of being able to try any of these machines prior to purchase (bring on the criticisms!), but there it is. I'll report back when I've had some history with this machine.
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 01-16-2018 at 11:05 AM.

Congrats on your new lathe. I also purchased a 18-36 in May. I am totally happy with the machine. My decision was basically the same as what you indicated. My previous lathe was a PM 90 and the original spindle height was 42 inches with a 12" swing. I raised that lathe for an 18" swing that raised the spindle height to 45". I liked the swing, but the height was not as comfortable turning. The only lathes I knew would meet my spindle height needs were the Laguna and Robust. If I was into coring and large bowls/turnings then the Robust, but I'm just a hobbiest so I went with the Laguna and no regrets. I didn't buy the extension, but glad to know it is available. I haven't had the need to contact Laguna CS much, but when I did it was positive. I had a vacuum pump and bought just the adapter from Laguna for about $70, well made. Although the assembly is somewhat straight forward, Laguna has a set up video on you tube. It is helpful in the unpacking. I did add 280# sand ballast to mine for increased stability from the start and it is very stable.
    Last edited by William C Rogers; 01-16-2018 at 11:01 AM.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.