Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Giving up old bullet proof saw for saw stop...

Quote Originally Posted by Carroll Courtney View Post
    Plus it will give you another saw to use when your new saw breaks down I'm kidding
    I have had some mixed results in dealing with ACME for many years. There might be some truth to what you are saying.
    But I think I would like a vintage saw like that in my shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Riseborough View Post
    keep it and use for dado only .
    +1 exactly what we did several years ago

Aaron, congratulations on picking such a wonderful spouse.

Now sell the old saw without worrying about it.

Your wife bought you the saw because she cares for you, and your safety.

Be thankful, get rid of the old saw.

Believe me, you don't want the dinner table discussion in the future where you try to justify having had an injury on the old saw when she bought you a new Saw Stop.........Happy New Year, you're a very lucky man..........Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post

Be thankful, get rid of the old saw.

Believe me, you don't want the dinner table discussion in the future where you try to justify having had an injury on the old saw when she bought you a new Saw Stop.........Happy New Year, you're a very lucky man..........Regards, Rod.
    The best advice so far.

It is nonsense to get a SawStop, and then keep and use another saw once in a while that has no SawStop protection.

Better resell the SawStop if one is still in love with the old saw.

Last summer, my neighbor was rebuilding his deck. He wanted me to help him make a few cuts. I brought his boards back to my shop and fired up my SawStop, refusing to even hang around his contractor saw no matter what.

Believe me, I will never ever use a non-SawStop table saw for the rest of my life, just as I will never be riding in a car not equipped with airbags and seat belts.

Simon
    Last edited by Simon MacGowen; 12-31-2017 at 3:35 PM.

I have the room for multiple machines so you can guess I'm in the keep both camp. Because I'm just a hobby guy with very little time for big projects but no desire to make small stuff, I am frustrated with the inefficiency of stopping a project to change set ups and particularly to repeat an old set up because I screwed up one piece. I'm at my most dangerous when quickly swapping cutters to cut a few pieces, or just replace something where the grain doesn't match. Others, I'm sure are more patient ( and smarter ) but I don't see that only using one machine, even a sawstop, would provide ME with more safety than my multiple sliders and shapers, set once. Just me. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    ...Believe me, you don't want the dinner table discussion in the future where you try to justify having had an injury...
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon MacGowen View Post
    ...Believe me, I will never ever use a non-SawStop table saw for the rest of my life...
    Lots of fear mongering going around these days.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

..the words of a wise man. I fully agree with Rod.

Enjoy your new toy and don't forget to thank your wife!

Happy New Year,

J.

just as I will never be riding in a car not equipped with airbags and seat belts.
    REALLY? You're missing out on some seriously wonderful experiences in life.

Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    You got that right. I would like to have an old Walker Turner Table saw. When you walk into my shop you will not find a computer controlled tool. You will not find anything with a digital readout, you will not find anything that needs a scanner or a technician to repair. I do not need a car that wakes me up when I am changing lanes or about to ram into a truck. Why? Because I practice safety at all times. After running power tools for fifty years I still have all fingers and have never had a stitch in me. KEEP YOUR DAMN FINGERS AWAY FROM STUFF THAT WILL CUT THEM OFF.

When you have to rely on technology to tell you when you are about to lose a finger or go off a cliff it is time to rethink a few things.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    REALLY? You're missing out on some seriously wonderful experiences in life.
    Whatever wonderful experiences they may be, you can have all of them. And thank you very much!

Simon

Whatever wonderful experiences they may be, you can have all of them. And thank you very much!

Simon
    Even an ambulance ride? lol

Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    Check out the PUBLISHED table saw injuries statistics yourself. SawStop (in case anyone still ignorant of the change of ownership or pretending to be ignorant, it is now part of the Festool family) does not make up the injury stories.

The table saw is the MOST used machine in my shop, used almost in EVERY project, even the woodturning ones (blank preparation). If there is one machine that could cut my fingers off, it has to be the table saw, in terms of probability. I have since using the SawStop reduced that probability to almost zero. Why not zero?

When the SawStop is bypassed (twice only, in the last 14 years of SawStop use), the chance of serious finger injury exists on the table saw.

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    Even an ambulance ride? lol
    I don't consider it a car, sir. It is a truck to me. (Nothing to lol. )

Since this is about the SawStop, it is likely the discussion will be locked sooner or later...LOL

Simon
    Last edited by Simon MacGowen; 12-31-2017 at 5:48 PM.

I kept my old saw. Twice. Glad I did.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Check out the PUBLISHED table saw injuries statistics yourself. SawStop (in case anyone still ignorant of the change of ownership or pretending to be ignorant, it is now part of the Festool family) does not make up the injury stories. The table saw is the MOST used machine in my shop, used almost in EVERY project, even the woodturning ones (blank preparation). If there is one machine that could cut my fingers off, it has to be the table saw, in terms of probability. I have since using the SawStop reduced that probability to almost zero. Why not zero? When the SawStop is bypassed (twice only, in the last 14 years of SawStop use), the chance of serious finger injury exists on the table saw. Simon
    There are a lot of accidents with many different tools. Knowing how to safey use them and PRACTICING safety constantly is why I still have all my fingers after running a table saw for the last 50 years.