Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: EZCAD2 MFC Fails after 12/26/2017 Windows 10 Update

You folks with Windows 10 you might as well get used to it. Microsoft is pushing the upgrades to your computer, sooner or later whether you want them or not! If you are a working shop, get a Windows 7 computer and keep it off the internet. Use for your production and machine, you can not expect the Chinese or any domestic maker to keep up with those constant Win 10 upgrades.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

so why not just keep a win10 off the net, they can't force updates to an off-the-grid machine...

--and I'm just waiting for someone to tell me a win10 machine won't work unless it IS connected to the internet. That'll seal the no-deal for good... I'm a bullheaded old sob who refuses to have crap 'forced' into/onto me or something I own...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    so why not just keep a win10 off the net, they can't force updates to an off-the-grid machine...

--and I'm just waiting for someone to tell me a win10 machine won't work unless it IS connected to the internet. That'll seal the no-deal for good... I'm a bullheaded old sob who refuses to have crap 'forced' into/onto me or something I own...
    All I know was my wife was a early adapter of Win 10 and I had to listen to her complain and more when her email and programs were screwed up. Then when she got it all working... they did an update and it was all over again.
    MS Does not have a clue that users do something besides Word, Excel and surf the net. My guess Kev they will nag you until you upgrade, just like they do with updates.

I've read a few horror stories online from a few supposedly 'in the know' folk that say it's entirely possible for MS or others to slowly poison the old XP's, Vista's, etc... and I don't doubt it. For those who have a few minutes to kill and want to know just how much internet traffic is actually going on just within your home network, download "Wireshark", run it, and be prepared to pick your jaw up off the floor.

Any computing device in my house that doesn't HAVE to be online, isn't...
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

I'm on my fourth email to BJJC in an effort to get a working version of EzCad2 for the latest Windows 10 build.
    The first version they sent ran without MFC Fail error but was missing the Focus Length, Base Height, Part Height and other associated fields.

2018-03-21_14-37-55.png

I emailed them about the issue and received an update that was supposed to fix the problem.

Well the buttons are back, but the Origin button stays grey. In short, if you cannot Home the laser, your stuck.

I sent them another email this past Sunday and have heard nothing. So now its Tuesday and have sent them another email asking the status of the issue and a fix.

2018-03-25_10-25-36.png

Lets see what happens....
    Red Bolt Laser Engraving
    Houston, Texas

Blog Entries
    Not being a dumb $$$, but having 2.12.1 version, I've never had a home or put to origin button on the bottom of the screen.
    I've the Icon 7th from the left in second row that put a SELECTED item to origin. I don't see anything selected in the second screen, and my icon is greyed out until I select an item first.

I'll assume you did make a box and select it then try the button?
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

Blog Entries
    grey1.jpggrey2.jpg

I had to make then select before they are useable. Help?
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser

Here is a screen shot of my current working version 2.12.0.
    Once the program opens, the Origin button is in black ready to go. I do not need to open a file or add an object and in turn select the object.
    All I do is press "Origin" in order to activate "Red" and "Mark" once laser hits Home.
    Until I press Origin and the laser goes to Home, on my working 2.12.0 version the "Red" and "Mark" buttons remain grey otherwise.

2018-03-27_10-51-39.png

Do you have an Origin button?

Are your "Red" and "Mark" buttons automatically black and ready to be selected without pressing Origin?

Where are you setting your Focus Length, Base Height and Part Height?

2018-03-27_11-32-19.png

There is also a "Find Focus" button at the bottom which is new. I'm sending a request to BJJC to get a manual on version EzCad2 v2.14.10

-John
    Last edited by John Kleiber; 03-27-2018 at 2:50 PM.
    Red Bolt Laser Engraving
    Houston, Texas

You do know you can go to an older version of windows 10 that worked. Just go to PC settings and upgrade and security settings and it should list all the versions that you had.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    You do know you can go to an older version of windows 10 that worked. Just go to PC settings and upgrade and security settings and it should list all the versions that you had.
    I rolled the Windows version back in December of 2017 when the error first occurred.

So I have had to roll it back at least 3 times since then because Microsoft insists on updating in the middle of the night or if I reboot.

I've had some success with disabling Windows Update, but its tough to hack because there is no user friendly way to kill the update.

My EzCad2 v 2.12.0 is working great with the old version of Windows.

Problem is, Windows wants to update and if I update, my EzCad2 will error with a "MFC Failure" and close.

I'm trying to get the new EzCadv2.14.10 to work with the updated Windows 10.

-John
    Last edited by John Kleiber; 03-27-2018 at 3:43 PM.
    Red Bolt Laser Engraving
    Houston, Texas

Double post deleted.
    Red Bolt Laser Engraving
    Houston, Texas

Boy, Win10 has you by the short hairs, just read up a bit-- found out how to turn off the updates, easy enuf to do thru the back door. But because of the 'Windows as a Service', platform, MS is essentially obsoleting everything prior to the last update, meaning, if you'll never EVER need to use the computer online, not a problem, but if do ever need the computer online, the lastest update WILL be installed...

I'd sure like to take Mr. Gates on a tour of my home shop, and show him first hand why Win 8 and 10 are completely useless to people like me...
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

Blog Entries
    John I don't have any of those buttons. My machine is simple manual with screw to adjust....

I DO have an old Win 7 machine that is far from cutting edge that will run EzCad just fine. I just save off any new settings for materials on occasion, guess this should be done again....
    I'd suggest that you find old machine as backup and set it up to work in case win10 screws up again.
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser

Quote Originally Posted by John Lifer View Post
    John I don't have any of those buttons. My machine is simple manual with screw to adjust....

I DO have an old Win 7 machine that is far from cutting edge that will run EzCad just fine. I just save off any new settings for materials on occasion, guess this should be done again....
    I'd suggest that you find old machine as backup and set it up to work in case win10 screws up again.
    Ditto, I have already said my piece so I will shut up and go away. Use your Win 10 to design on and Win 7 with automatic updates shut off to run your machines.

Quote Originally Posted by John Lifer View Post

John,

So your manually cranking the laser head up and down?
    How do you know where focus is?
    Do you have a standard length measure stick to set distance?

Thanks
    John
    Red Bolt Laser Engraving
    Houston, Texas