Thread: Jobillo Platter

Jobillo Platter

I normally don't buy wood but last April I bought a piece of Jobillo from our local Woodcraft store. Even though it was covered in all sorts of dirt hiding colors and spalting the piece of wood just kept nagging me to take it home. I'm glad I did. After five months I finally decided to turn a platter. The board initially was 1" x 16" by 20" or so and the finished platter is 7/8" x 15.5", finished in danish oil and buffed to a satin finish.

What a nice piece of wood. Nice job.
    Don

beautiful wood and awesome work David. By chance did you use a vacuum chuck through the entire process since the wood was only 1 inch thick?

I didn't use a vacuum chuck on this platter. I hot glued a block of wood on the top (front?) side of the platter then chucked up the piece of wood. Then I brought up the tailstock, trued up the edges, shaped the bottom and started the recess. To finish the recess I had to remove the tailstock. Then I turned the platter around and grabbed it with 130mm jaws, brought the tailstock up again. I started on the edge of the platter and eventually had to remove the tailstock to finish it up. After a few coats of danish oil it was buffed.

thanks David for the detail. It will help me in the future

Dave