Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bandsaw buying advice-talk me off the ledge!

Bandsaw buying advice-talk me off the ledge!

So, I've been going back and forth on the Jet JWBS-15-3 (the 1.75 HP will probably work fine for me, maybe?) and the Laguna 14" or SUV and the Grizzly machines.

What am I looking for? I just sold a Jet 14" bandsaw I'd had for 10 years because I need something to do fine resawing and I fancied something newer and bigger. It won't see a ton of use but I'm one of those guys who enjoys working with equipment that is high quality, and I like feeling like it's substantial and well engineered. I have a Delta Unisaw and I love high quality tools like that.

Grizzly: I hear a lot of love and hate for the Grizzly Bandsaws and I think I'll regret buying one after a few years, plus resale is probably not great. Also, every time I look into buy something from Grizzly, it's out of stock for months...or even longer!

Jet JWB-15: I haven't been able to touch/test one yet but I like what I'm seeing in the videos and online. Will I regret not buying the 3hp if I get the 1.75 hp??? This one is my fave right now

Laguna 14BX: To be honest, I was really unimpressed. The knobs were cheap plastic and the blade guide system felt cheapy and the metal flimsy. I hear it's a great machine and I'm sure it is. I hated that it doesn't include a blade, even as a courtesy. the Laguna just fealt like they'd cut corners on the knobs and switches, which was a put off for me.

Talk me off the ledge, or push me off the ledge. Help and advice would be greatly appreciated. I have a budget up to $1,800 and I'd rather not save a few hundred and then regret it in a couple of years. I like to buy once and love my purchase for 10 years.

Am I missing a bandsaw that I haven't considered yet?

thanks so much.

Look for a used minimax 16

Curious as to why you'd want another 14" saw for resawing, when your budget is $1800?

HP is your friend and the more the better if you want to resaw anything very thick. I figure 1 HP for every 3 - 4". Said another way, you won't be happy with 1.75 HP if you want to resaw anything very thick.

John

LT 14BX is a weird machine. $1500 gets you 2.5HP, 12" resaw, and a weight of 330lbs. For $300 more, you could get the LT 14SUV, with 3HP, 14" resaw, and weight of 375lbs (assuming more weight is better, here).

I’m also looking at upgrading to a larger capacity BS. The Laguna LT 14SUV would fit the bill but the blade tensioning from the top of the saw scares me off. I’m not tall, I would need a step ladder to change blades.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    HP is your friend and the more the better if you want to resaw anything very thick. I figure 1 HP for every 3 - 4". Said another way, you won't be happy with 1.75 HP if you want to resaw anything very thick.

John
    10-4 Eleanore!

A bandsaw is one of the tools that benefits from raw mass and power. If you sold a 14" I would move to a 17" or 18" machine. Several folks on here keep a 14" as a secondary or small work machine when they upgrade. Often space makes this impossible but, I replaced my small saw when I made the mistake of selling it when I upgraded.

Be that as it may, If your budget will sustain it I would look at a Minimax in a heartbeat. In the "also ran" department I have been quite happy with a G0513X for some years. It is by no means at the tier of the Minimax machines but, at the time I bought it was a third the price. The only thing I wish it had more of is power. 2HP is adequate but, more would be better.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I hear a lot of good things about the Rikon 18". I have a Go513x2 and love it. If I was in the marked I would be looking at the Rikon.

I love our minimax. Looked for a lightly used 16. It should be good balance for resaw and curved work. We have a mm20 and an old jet 14 for scroll work.

I have both a Grizzly 17 bandsaw and 8" jointer (G0513X2 and G0490). Both arrived without damage and work perfectly. Some buyers remorse on the jointer. I should have spent the money for the spiral cutterhead, but I had purchase the bandsaw just a few months prior.

In thinking of the resale value, I think they are like cars. You lose the most when it first arrives. The older Grizzly machines are from a different generation (you can tell by the paint scheme)and don't have much resale value. But the current generation resells higher, but they are also always newer.

I could not have purchased both the bandsaw and jointer had I not done so from Grizzly. I think the key to my success with these machines is that they arrived undamaged and made correctly. Would I order from Grizzly again, yes.

I bought a Laguna 1412 4 months ago and am very happy with it. Granted it's my first "good" band saw but it works great. I spent a day last week resawing 3 x 8 oak with a Resaw King blade and had no problem. The ceramic guides work well, and all the adjustments are easy to make. And when i called them to ask why the fence was not flat, they sent me a new one that day. No questions asked. So customer service gets an A as well.

If you plan on serious re-saw work, you want power, stiffness and weight so that you can properly tension a blade that's optimized for re-saw cutting. Bigger is better in that case, so consider upping your budget if you want new or looking for a stout, pre-owned machine that is best suited for the work you want to do.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    You should put a Minimax on that list. I’ve used the hell out of an MM20 this year and it has not flinched. Resawed 18.5” tall material and white oak veneer endlessly.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Just ordered the MM 20.

I have a Laguna 14/12 and found myself endlessly disappointed in it. I am a bit of a tool snob. I also have no patients for low to mid quality anything. So for whatever my oppinion is worth maybe factor that it.

I hated and actually still hate my 14/12. Its on the first train out of town as soon as the MM arives!

Considering replacing it with a MM 16 to run a 3/16 blade for scroll work. Overkill but I’ll never complain about a bandsaw again.

Consider a used MM16 they can be had used for $2500

Jim, How do you define "serious"? I resaw with a Laguna 14/12 and I consider myself fairly serious.