Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bandsaw buying advice-talk me off the ledge!

Forget about lower tier, like Jet and Grizzly. I bought my LIKE NEW 20" Agazzani for ~$1500 OFF C/L.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    Jim, How do you define "serious"? I resaw with a Laguna 14/12 and I consider myself fairly serious.
    For me, serious means a minimum of 1 HP for 3" of desired resaw height. Anything less is in the not serious category.

I have an old 14" Delta with riser block and a 1.5 HP motor on it. I have sawed a lot of 10+" veneer with it. You can measure the rate of cut in minutes per foot even with a very efficient blade on it. Two years ago I bought a 17" Grizzly G06363X. With that saw the rate is feet per minute; actually, about as fast as you can push wood through it, and the cut quality is better. That saw has 5 HP and can tension a 1" carbide blade w/o difficulty. Both saws will work, but there is no comparison between the two. I keep the Delta for general purpose work; best of both worlds.

To me there is not a lot of happy middle ground for resawing or slicing veneer. You need a stiff enough frame to tension a band properly and enough HP to pull it through the wood. If either is lacking it won't be much fun.

John

Alright, alright. Without getting too defensive here: I've owned 2 Grizzly bandsaws. I wouldn't call either "lower tier". They both worked well and as advertised. They make many saws with different features. I too am a fan of buy-the-best and don't second-guess. However, I cannot honestly say that my G0514x2 has at all let me down. It has good capacity, excellent mass, stable guides, good power, little vibration, and has been a reliable resaw saw. I will concede that the resaw fence is slightly out of square to the table, but I wouldn't call that evidence of being at a lower tier.

YMMV, but if I were considering a saw in the $1800 range, my G0514X would make the short list again.

If you are serious about upgrading in quality and are considering top quality in a European saw, then I would look at the G0636x. Shiraz Balolia mentioned this one to me when I was considering my options a couple years ago. Caveat - I have not tried this saw myself - but I took from his thoughtful response that this is not a saw that was designed cavalierly. I believe they give serious quality design consideration to many of their tools.

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and advice, it is greatly appreciated.
    I went and looked over the Rikon saw, another look at the Lagune and also Shop Fox. After exhaustive research, I found the Jet JWBS-15-3 is the one for me. My old Jet served me well and I like the beefyness of this one, the micro-adjustment on the fence and the 3hp motor etc. For the price, it feels like it's worth the money. I'll let you know how I like it, once I've wrestled it into place in my garage/workshop.
    http://www.jettools.com/us/en/p/jwbs...hp-230v/714650
    Stephen
    Charlotte, NC

Quote Originally Posted by stephen fleischer View Post
    So, I've been going back and forth on the Jet JWBS-15-3 (the 1.75 HP will probably work fine for me, maybe?) and the Laguna 14" or SUV and the Grizzly machines.

What am I looking for? I just sold a Jet 14" bandsaw I'd had for 10 years because I need something to do fine resawing and I fancied something newer and bigger. It won't see a ton of use but I'm one of those guys who enjoys working with equipment that is high quality, and I like feeling like it's substantial and well engineered. I have a Delta Unisaw and I love high quality tools like that.

thanks so much.
    The above bolded would seem to favor an Italian saw - MiniMax, Italian Laguna something like that. A Chevy or Ford will get you where you want to go safely but if your tastes run toward German automobiles you'd never really be happy with a Chevy or Ford. Grizzly has at least 2 lines of bandsaws, the G0513 & G0514 models. They also have what appears to be a line to compete with the Italian saws, G0636 being one. I think a member here has one of those and it quite happy with it. If you have time and skill an old industrial saw like Yates or Crescent might give you the quality you seek for reasonable $.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 12-27-2017 at 5:57 PM.

Nice, Patrick, that’s a dream saw for me, I’m sure you’ll enjoy it!! Happy New Year!!

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Walsh View Post
    Just ordered the MM 20.

I have a Laguna 14/12 and found myself endlessly disappointed in it. I am a bit of a tool snob. I also have no patients for low to mid quality anything. So for whatever my oppinion is worth maybe factor that it.

I hated and actually still hate my 14/12. Its on the first train out of town as soon as the MM arives!

Considering replacing it with a MM 16 to run a 3/16 blade for scroll work. Overkill but I’ll never complain about a bandsaw again.

Consider a used MM16 they can be had used for $2500

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    Jim, How do you define "serious"? I resaw with a Laguna 14/12 and I consider myself fairly serious.
    Art, I was referring to the work, not the woodworker, and meant re-sawing larger stock that approaches the limits of the machine. A bigger, stiffer, heavier and more powerful band saw will do the work easier and do it all day long if that's required. That said, we all "can" re-saw with a smaller band saw as long as we understand the particular machine's limitations and capabilities and have patience with the process.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Do you think that most band saw users need a machine that will work efficiently all day long? I resaw 4/4 to 6/4 wood to 1/4, 5/16, 3/8, 1/2 and occasionally odd numbered fractions for the purpose of building boxes and all manner of CNC carvings. It takes longer to drum sand these pieces to a precision thickness than it does to do the resawing. The shop is shut down now while I move to my new shop but I resaw most every day when I am doing business and I have never "needed" a bigger saw. Time and again, I see recommendations on SMC for high end and expensive equipment for people who are obviously hobbyists who are just getting started. I don't want them to think they need to spend $1800 or more for a band saw that will resaw 10-12 inch lumber. Until recently, I resawed lumber up to 8 inches wide on a Craftsman/Rikon band saw with a 1 horsepower motor. I just think we need to be aware of budget challenged or beginning woodworkers.

Let me give you an example from just the other day. There was a thread going having to do with a couple of cheap, light weight and low powered CNC routers. You expressed an interest in buying one. My only comment was that they are too small for commercial work. I could have gone further and said that these little units are mere toys and aren't suitable for "serious" work. That is my opinion from my perspective. I didn't post that because I didn't want you or anyone else to be discouraged from buying an entry level machine to experiment.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Art, I was referring to the work, not the woodworker, and meant re-sawing larger stock that approaches the limits of the machine. A bigger, stiffer, heavier and more powerful band saw will do the work easier and do it all day long if that's required. That said, we all "can" re-saw with a smaller band saw as long as we understand the particular machine's limitations and capabilities and have patience with the process.

Art, I very much see your point. I hope you didn't interpret mine as "big and expensive" is required. I was merely trying to point out that it was more optimal for the stated job. Re-saw work is absolutely doable on a smaller, more entry level machine.
    --

So, I got the Jet 15" 3hp bandsaw all set up and running. I put a Highland Woodworker 1" wood slicer blade on it. What a GREAT machine! easy to set up. Powerful, smooth and I was able to easily cut wafer thin veneers from 6" thick English yew that I could see light through. I also resawed Oak, Walnut and Bubinga. I love this machine! Would highly recommend it.
    Stephen
    Charlotte, NC

Stephen, I like those Highland Wood Slicer blades, myself. The same blade is available from Spectrum for less money, called the Kerfmaster.

http://www.spectrumsupply.com/kerfmaster-2.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Decker View Post
    Stephen, I like those Highland Wood Slicer blades, myself. The same blade is available from Spectrum for less money, called the Kerfmaster. http://www.spectrumsupply.com/kerfmaster-2.aspx
    Good to know. Thanks.
    Stephen
    Charlotte, NC

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Decker View Post
    Stephen, I like those Highland Wood Slicer blades, myself. The same blade is available from Spectrum for less money, called the Kerfmaster.

http://www.spectrumsupply.com/kerfmaster-2.aspx
    I just clicked through in anticipating trying a couple of these blades, but the shipping/handling they came up with was "to the moon". I hope it was just a website mistake...
    --

Whoa, you're right, Jim. Didn't used to be like that. The blade itself, for my saw, is about half the price at Spectrum compared to Highland. The shipping from Spectrum is $32, compared to $8 from Highland.

I also noticed that Spectrum requires a $25 minimum order, which I don't recall from before. Guess they no longer want my business.

Just sent them an email. We'll see what they say...