Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bosch Reaxx saw worst tool I have ever owned in my life.

Bosch Reaxx saw worst tool I have ever owned in my life.

This is the most disappointing realization ever as far as tools goes for me. I really need a nice job site saw and I really can't stand Steve gass or "sawstop guy" so I found a reaxx unopened for a grand. I bought it thinking that's a pretty good value and even if it's not amazing it will still be good enough and be worth it. I was sorely mistaken. After two misfires and running the saw for months in bypass mode because to ship it to Bosch and get it repaired would cost me more then buying a new saw I have decided it's not even worth getting it looked at it. I could list everything that is wrong, or just plain doesn't work but I can sum it up quicker. ALL OF IT!!

There is not a single thing I like, that's not true I like the placement of the push stick, but other then that I'm not exaggerating, there isn't a one. I'm currently trying to decide if I went to give it to the kid that works for me or if I want to run it over repeatedly with my tractor. Pretty sure I would be doing him a favor by destroying it but he doesn't have any table saw at all and that's the only type of tablesaw this piece of crap is better then.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 12-27-2017 at 6:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by keith micinski View Post
    I could list everything that is wrong, or just plain doesn't work but I can sum it up quicker. ALL OF IT!!
    I'd be very interested in hearing at least a couple of things that plain don't work.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 12-19-2018 at 9:00 PM.

Is it possible the saw wasn't as unopened as it was advertised?

I'm currently trying to decide if I went to give it to the kid that works for me or if I want to run it over repeatedly with my tractor. ...
    I heard there used to be a place in Atlanta where people could shoot fully automatic weapons at appliances and computers and things.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Dobbie View Post
    I'd be very interested in hearing at least a couple of things that plain don't work.
    Everytime you move it the fence needs completely reset. Every time you move it both pointers on the scale need reset. There were rumors of them misfiring in the early reviews and I can verify they absolutely do that as a matter of fact this one did it twice. The insert plate is a ridiculous shape and almost impossible to make perfectly flat. The stupid saw vibrates almost like that was what it was intentionally made to do. The stupid motor is a two speed motor so it takes 4-5 seconds of cutting before it actually ramps up into speed which is even worse then it sounds when your in something thick and hard. The stupid gravity rise stand I have heard so much about from other Bosch products is slightly bent in two places from just supporting its own weight. The stupid feet that came with the saw to level it aren't long enough to level completely. The stupid blade storage holds exactly one blade. THE STUPID MITRE GAUGE IS FACING BACKWARDS WHEN IT IS STORED, A PAIN TO GET OUT AND THEN IT HAS A TON OF SLOP WITH NO WAY TO ADJUST IT IN THE SLOT. It weighs about a ton and a half. The cut quality stinks. This one is maybe a bit me more then the saw but I still hate it. The fence locks onto the table and then when you go past 12 3/4 inches you have to start reading a second scale backwards and then you also have to have a second pointer adjusted perfectly to the first pointer which as already mentioned is now not perfect because you have probably looked at the saw to move it and it promptly went out of adjustment. I take it back, the two scales and then reading one the other way is totally ridiculous and there is no way someone is going to say they actually like that. After looking through this post I am for sure running this thing over repeatedly with my tractor.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 12-27-2017 at 6:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Heinemann View Post
    Is it possible the saw wasn't as unopened as it was advertised?
    No, if it was maybe someone would have fixed some the terrible engineering that was done by Bosch in the first place.

Oh, I forgot the cord is about 24" long and Bosch told me to make sure I plugged it directly into an outlet. Also the dust collection sucks and not in a good way. And there is no way to square the fence with top of the saw so I had to take it apart and make my own shim stock to do that when I set it up.
    Last edited by keith micinski; 12-26-2017 at 1:03 AM.

I'm really sorry to hear of your experiences with the Bosch Reaxx. It sure is disappointing when a purchase doesn't work out. I don't have any other information to share about the saw to help you, but it seems that the design team could have used some more time to build, test, and iterate to a better solution.

you have company...........

Apparently, you are not alone............ On the Bosch website, they say: "Bosch is not currently selling or marketing the REAXX™ Table Saw

https://www.boschtools.com/us/en/more/news-and-extras/specials/reaxx_info/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Carr View Post
    Apparently, you are not alone............ On the Bosch website, they say: "Bosch is not currently selling or marketing the REAXX™ Table Saw

https://www.boschtools.com/us/en/more/news-and-extras/specials/reaxx_info/index.html
    Hi Jan,
    I wouldn't necessarily conclude that the issues Keith is having are what is causing Bosch to stop selling that tool. The notice you flagged could also be due to the first round of lawsuits Bosch lost last year vs sawstop. The gist of that was basically "stop selling that saw in the US". (I am not an attorney. That is what I understood from reading published excerpts of the initial March 2017 ruling.) I
    noticed that the site you linked to is the US part of the Bosch website , so to test my theory I checked the Canadian Bosch site - I didn't get the same front page message. Perhaps one of our Canadian friends can clarify whether the Bosch is on sale in Canada.

Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 12-26-2017 at 6:45 AM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Everytime you move it the fence needs completely reset. Every time you move it both pointers on the scale need reset. There were rumors of them misfiring in the early reviews and I can verify they absolutely do that as a matter of fact this one did it twice. The insert plate is a ridiculous shape and almost impossible to make perfectly flat. The stupid saw vibrates almost like that was what it was intentionally made to do. The stupid motor is a two speed motor so it takes 4-5 seconds of cutting before it actually ramps up into speed which is even worse then it sounds when your in something thick and hard. The stupid gravity rise stand I have heard so much about from other Bosch products is slightly bent in two places from just supporting its own weight. The stupid feet that came with the saw to level it aren't long enough to level completely. The stupid blade storage holds exactly one blade. THE STUPID MITRE GAUGE IS FACING BACKWARDS WHEN IT IS STORED, A PAIN TO GET OUT AND THEN IT HAS A TON OF SLOP WITH NO WAY TO ADJUST IT IN THE SLOT. It weighs about a ton and a half. The cut quality stinks. This one is maybe a bit me more then the saw but I still hate it. The fence locks onto the table and then when you go past 12 3/4 inches you have to start reading a second scale backwards and then you also have to have a second pointer adjusted perfectly to the first pointer which as already mentioned is now not perfect because you have probably looked at the saw to move it and it promptly went out of adjustment. I take it back, the two scales and then reading one the other way is totally ridiculous and there is no way someone is going to say they actually like that. After looking through this post I am for sure running this thing over repeatedly with my tractor.
    Oh, so what you're saying is, it's a jobsite saw.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 12-27-2017 at 7:51 PM.

Keith,
    That's a tough break man and I'm sorry to hear it. With that thing unavailable Stateside, are you able to get any significant advice from Bosch Customer Service on the vibration and other "fixable" parts of the tool?

Darn shame you couldn't have set it up and tried it out first to discover the "designed-in" funnies, but if it isn't really on sale here that's hard too. Kind of a "pays your money and takes your chances" thing - and I'd expect a Bosch tool to be a well-designed, high quality machine, so that should have been a reasonable bet/risk to take.

I'd use the tractor on it, or drive from South Bend to Atlanta like John suggests.

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Carr View Post

Bosch was ordered in January 2017 to stop selling the REAXX in the USA.....here is the quote "In January of 2017, the US International Trade Commission (ITC) ruled in favor of SawStop and effectively halted Bosch from "importing, selling, marketing, advertising, distributing (except for exploration), and solicit United States agents or distributors for imported table saws."

You can see that in Canada they are still legal to sell and even The Home Depot lists them for sell on their Canadian page.

I purchased a REAXX when they first arrived and have encountered only one misfire, the first day I used it. The say doesn't like treated or wet wood or foreign metal objects. It certainly isn't in contention to replace the Hammer or Powermatic in the shop, but mine's a decent job site saw.

I know you’re super frustrated with thebsaw and angry, but your post made me laugh! I’m sure it will make you laugh as well one day. Sorry to hear about all that.

This is from Woodshop News:
    “Bosch will continue to provide distributors and end users with service, repair and support for Reaxx table saws previously purchased, including the availability of replacement cartridges manufactured in the U.S., which are not subject to the ITC import ban.”

Pretty much what Martin said, it is a jobsite saw. Basically like every other jobsite saw. Piece of plastic box, housing an upside down skilsaw, with a metal top and fence mounted above. I have used the Bosch, Makita, Dewalt, Ridgid, and several others. That level of quality is par for the course, across the board. When I was younger, we bought the makitas, because they were readily, and cheaply available, and it was known by my boss that they lasted about a year, then you got another one.
    I have that exact Bosch you speak of, minus the special Reaxx safety feature. It is a $300-350.00 saw if I remember, with a $650 add on safety feature.
    Any of them are a very miserable substitute for a proper shop saw.
    They are all made to rip plywood, framing lumber, and other typical housebuilding jobsite materials, including Boral, Azek, and all the composite decking. Basically turning 1 piece into 2 or more. They don't do it well, and they don't generally do it for long.
    It also makes just about no sense to put a good blade on it. There is so much runout on the arbors, that it doesn't justify the expense. The lipstick on a pig situation all over again.
    All that said, when I finally broke down and bought my Bosch about 5 years ago, after hemming and hawing about wasting that kind of money on a machine with all those miserable attributes, and poor cut quality, I was thankful at the end of the day and job that I could just pick it up and slide it in the truck by myself. And it got the job done, more or less.
    I hate using it, compared to any of my shop saws- Whitney, Greenlee, Martins, etc... but I can't cart any of them around.
    It is not, in my mind anyway, intended as a precision instrument. It gets banged and tossed from job to job, and you toss it when it dies