Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bench Dog Holes 4" or 6" From Front Edge?

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Viellenave View Post
    since the top is hefty enough. maybe you could put your dogs at 4" from both sides, then build 2" "add-ons" for the front and back, aligning them with pins and securing them with bolts or knobs when you need/want them.

Edit - Added picture, saves a thousand words.Attachment 374658

That's a good idea. It would have to be temporary with bolts because the bench is already 28" wide.

If you are hand planing, the row should be about 2 1/2" from edge.

You will have to extend the wood part of vise to edge of bench which you should do anyway.

I would not go drilling a lot of holes in your bench until you start using it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Webster View Post
    A good friend of mine had a cabinet shop and scrapped out his Wysong & Miles stroke sander. This is the table base from it. The benchtop can adjust from 30" to 40" high. The workbench weighs about 700 lbs. The 13" diameter handwheel is on the back side and not in the way, but even when standing in front of it, it's no big deal. It sticks out about 3” past the plane of the table edge. Old arn.

Attachment 374698
    Thanks for the FYI Bill I figured it was an old base of some sort..
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

I really appreciate all the ideas given here, it has made me rethink my whole plan. At this point I am thinking of getting rid of the end vises which were dictating where I put the holes. Or at the very least, putting a wooden jaw in the front end vise with a dog 2 1/2” from the front. I also need to look into the 96mm grid idea, but I am really hesitant to drill that many holes. I am still a ways off from drilling holes. Thanks everyone!!!

I really think your bench deserves a full width vice unless the screws would foul the base.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...=1,41637,45114

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Christensen View Post
    I really think your bench deserves a full width vice unless the screws would foul the base.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...=1,41637,45114
    I am thinking about custom-making something for the end, I can do metalworking. There is a problem with using the 7" Record vise I have now on the end. Its left slide bar is in the way of the dog row at 2 1/2” in from the front edge.

You could also use the Veritas double end-vice setup that has the chain to keep both rows "in sync".
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...