Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What did the "holiday elf" bring you for your woodworking addiction?

I got a cheap set of forstner bits, a tool nut gift card, a tool organizer backpack and I bought myself a discounted ridgid planer.
    Cutting rough stock lumber is like scrambling an egg, there is no going back

Two 50” Bessey clamps and a bottle of Kramers Antique Restorer. Not woodworking related, but also received an Anova Sous Vide cooker. Been wanting one for some time.

A Crown cutting gauge from Mrs Elf, and about 6.5 bd ft of quarter sawn walnut and 1.5 bd ft of ambrosia maple from Self Elf (me) for a small gift box project.

I've been saving up my nickels and dimes for a new table saw (a G0690) and if things work out, I could be back here extolling its virtues sometime in the New Year

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    Not woodworking related, but also received an Anova Sous Vide cooker. Been wanting one for some time.
    I've been working with Sous Vide since my birthday last March...it's "da best". It can really revolutionize how you prepare certain things, especially things like steak. I do steak and filet to 125ºF for about 45 minutes and then sear in cast iron. PERFECT mid-rare throughout...something nearly impossible to achieve with direct heat alone. I do the same for pork chops, albeit to 140ºF internal. One thing I'll suggest if the "elf" didn't provide it, is an appropriate container and holder to keep things submerged. I bought mine via Amazon. The container is by Rubbermaid, is clear and has volume graduations on it for filling. The holder is like a little telescoping rack with a plastic piece to hold the bagged material down. Having a vacuum sealer is nice, but HD zip-lock freezer bags can also work well if you carefully squeeze out the air. (not the ones with the plastic zippers...the ones that have multiple locking seals across the top, typically that "change color" when sealed)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Probe for my Shapeoko 3 XL --- very, very cool, and really nice for setting zeros.

My Brother got me a little laser engraver that works on wood. It isn't very powerful, and the bed is only 2" x 2", but it works great for quick/simple logos on relatively small flat wood items.

20171225_134238.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Ost View Post
    Bosch trim router, very happy.
    Be careful NOT to hold the Bosch Colt like it shows in the manual on page 13 - with your left hand fingers resting on the indents on the Colt router base. People have had their fingers chewed up because the fingers rest too close to the opening and the router bit. If you can't run it one-handed then ...

... the best advice I've seen is to use the Bosch Colt plunge router base, or the Rockler Compact Router Sub-Base with Handles:

http://www.rockler.com/rockler-compa...e-with-handles

By the way, I've also read of people who have been "bit" on the left hand or arm by the rotating router bit while handling the Colt - while removing it from the material while the router bit is still turning.

Let's see ... Santa brought me a set of Whiteside Shaker Stile & Rail router bits, a Dowl-It dowel jig, a metal multi-angle measuring ruler, and a set of David Richards SketchUp Guide DVDs. I guess I've been good this year ... uhm, and I have the very best wife on the planet!!!!

/Grinch alert
    I got a new toilet handle & chain - - plus a jack hammered plugged drain in the basement of a rental!
    /Grinch alert - - -bah humbug!

We did get a new puppy dog though that made up for it & then some!
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I got a GRR Ripper model GR-200 from my son. No more risky cuts on the table saw.
    Epilog EXT 40 watt, Legend 24TT 45 watt, Corel 3X, Deckel pantographs, Meistergram 18-28 (2)

A $200 gift certificate to a local hardwood dealer.

Set of Lee Valley Spokeshaves, with the canvas roll. Very Nice.

Got the Lie Nielsen honing guide and a DMT diamond lapping plate for flattening my water stones.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Lee Valley hand countersink and auger bit file.
    A jug of glue.
    Couple of Bessey pipe clamps.
    HD gift card so I can replace my bathroom sink faucet.

new in box bailey #4. still wrapped in the oil paper! orange Stanley on the lever cap and the odd shaped hole for the screw. Ill have a make a brag thread.

edit. its a type 15
    Last edited by Adam Herman; 12-26-2017 at 2:33 PM.