Thread: LV scrub plane

LV scrub plane

This is just a FYI. I recently purchased the 2 and 4 flute blades for my LV scrub plane and was pleasantly surprised with the results on a test piece I was playing with. I think they will add an appealing textured surface to wide, flat surfaces of plain boards with little or no interesting grain patterns when used for boxes, chest and such. I know the rules "if no pictures it didn't happen" and I'd love to include them but I'm technically challenged in this area, I tried but it didn't work Anyway, just thought I'd let you guy's know.
    Chet

Maybe someone can help with pictures, (I'm having trouble visualizing the effect.)

For the curious LV hides these blades on their .../Planes/Blades/Texturing Blades for Veritas Scrub Plane page. (There isn't any mention on the Scrub Plane page where I first looked....)

Blog Entries
    My post was being composed when my son called. Then Chet posted about these blades.

Here is the link to the blades:

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/pag...30,41182,43698

Dang, I wonder if these would work in one of my other planes.

Multiple flutes is a tricky blade, likely the reason for the price.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 12-25-2017 at 1:39 PM. Reason: Everything changed
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Hi Chet,

One of the most common problems folks have posting images is the file is too large. You may need to use some image handling application to convert it to a jpeg smaller than ~1.4MB.

If you are having a different problem, describe it for me to be able to help.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

David,
    Thanks for including the location information. I'm pretty sure I found them in the LV online catalog and assumed they could be found with the plane. I know LV sometimes hides some of their accessories which is why sometimes I use the catalog where the accessories are grouped with the item. BTW the catalog also shows pictures of the texture the blades produce. Thanks again.
    Chet

Jim, I'm not sure what you mean about "tricky blade" unless you mean manufacturing the blade?? But moving it thru the wood was smooth.
    Chet

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chet R Parks View Post
    Jim, I'm not sure what you mean about "tricky blade" unless you mean manufacturing the blade?? But moving it thru the wood was smooth.
    Chet
    Yes, tricky to make, hence the cost being higher than other blades.

jtk

Jim, thanks for volunteering to help your always so helpful to everyone. The photo is 640 x 480 131 KB whatever all that stuff means? The problem I have is telling the photo to go to the post I'm making. I need to have someone sitting right here to show me. I'm not vary good with the written word. Thanks anyway.
    Chet

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chet R Parks View Post
    Jim, thanks for volunteering to help your always so helpful to everyone. The photo is 640 x 480 131 KB whatever all that stuff means? The problem I have is telling the photo to go to the post I'm making. I need to have someone sitting right here to show me. I'm not vary good with the written word. Thanks anyway.
    Chet
    Since you are a little far away for me to pop over and help in person, let's try the easy way once.

Start by moving the flashing bar ( | < that one isn't flashing, but it will have to do) to where you want the image to be.

Then click on the icon above the message area that looks like a tree in a window:

SMC Image Posting.png

This will bring up this:

SMC Image Selection Box.png

It may look different than this if it automatically selected from URL. In that case, click on "From Computer" button.

Then click on Choose File, navigate to the file you want to upload, click "Upload File(s)" Wait and something that looks like this:

SMC Attachments.png

Lets you know you have had success.

It is easy once you get the hang of it. There is a different method that uses the Paper Clip icon in the Advanced mode. Since SMC is supposedly changing the software my tutorial on that will have to wait. There is an old one of mine in the Tech Support conference, but it is a bit out dated.

jtk

Jim, Thanks again for the help, It's going down to minus 19 tonight and tomorrow night, it will be a good time to try to understand the posting of pictures. I might just wait until the Creek changes over to the new system. Trying to learn 2 new things at the same time is a bit overwhelming for me.
    Chet

11. Since both the LV scrub and the Stanley 40 are single iron it ought to fit, width allowing. Scrubs are about the most forgiving planes to fettle. Not sure I see the value of A2 steel in this application, though.

Quote Originally Posted by bridger berdel View Post
    Since both the LV scrub and the Stanley 40 are single iron it ought to fit, width allowing. Scrubs are about the most forgiving planes to fettle. Not sure I see the value of A2 steel in this application, though.
    A2 may be the most stable through heat treatment of their 3 common steels, which is a useful thing if you're applying complex edge profiles and trying to avoid post-machining.

O1 requires oil quenching, which tend to cause warping. CTS-XHP can be air-cooled, but requires post-quench refrigeration (to convert retained Auestenite) to achieve the hardness they use.

I used a fine toothing iron to apply a textured surface to a carving knife box I made a few years ago. Did it make a difference that the iron wasn't A2 or PM steel iron. Of course not.

Thanks for the info. I was not aware of such blades.

Thanks also! Need to see if I have a plane that will take a 1 1/2” iron.