Thread: BridgeCity Tool Works - Kerfmaker KM-1 vs Microjig Matchfit Dado Stop Pro

BridgeCity Tool Works - Kerfmaker KM-1 vs Microjig Matchfit Dado Stop Pro

There is only a small difference in price on these two tools ($73 vs $59.95). I am aware of the limitations of the MicroJig but it would likely meet my needs. In February I may be able to pick up the Dado Stop Pro at 20% off list price at the Hartville Hardware Tool Expo.

Do you have either one of these tools?
    What do you like about it, what do you dislike about it?
    Would you buy it again?

Thanks for your input.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Blog Entries
    Both excel at setting up crosscuts for material guided by a miter gauge. There are some instructions for using the Kerfmaker and a shop made jig to set the tablesaw fence allowing for fence guided cuts. I have the MicroJig and may play with that idea a bit. Primarily I just use calipers and the DRO on my tablesaw fence with good success for this function.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Have the KM-1 and have ordered the new KM-2. LOVE the 1, use it all the time to cut any dado I need be it on the table saw or with a router on a guide rail. IMO the Microjig Matchfit Dado Stop Pro is too limiting being that its really designed to only be used attached to a table saw fence. The KM-1 can be used anywhere. And I cut about as many dados with my router on a guide rail as I do on my table saw.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

The width of the blade and the actual kerf width might not be the same especially if the blade isn't 100% parallel to the slots and fence. It's important that a jig of this nature is calibrated using an actual cut. That will make it more accurate. The bridge city one doesn't do that but the more recent microjig version (the old version worked like bridge citys) does make a cut to calibrate the jig. For that reason I think the microjig is a much better product but you could make your own. Here's a pic of mine. That gap at the top is the actual kerf width after cutting. I place the piece into the gap lock it in and use the right side to cut the shoulders of my dado. Works perfectly every time. It took 20 minutes to make. I followed the basic principles of this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iL5lrmrbgKc

IMG_20171226_084619.jpg

I have owned the KM-1 and recently bought the Match Fit. I sold the KM-1 for almost what I paid for it and kept the Match Fit. I found the Match Fit easier to use and easier to get perfect results with on the first try. I only wish it was made from something a little more solid than plastic, but it's quite likely to last me a very long time anyway.

Charley
    Last edited by Charles Lent; 12-28-2017 at 11:52 AM.