Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Edge sander uses

Edge sander uses

Hi there, I just got a Jet oscillating Edge Sander for Christmas and want to make sure I understand how to use this unit to it max potential.

Can an you all help me on what are the typical type of sanding you all do with edge sanders?

when would I want to use the sander belt glad va 90 deg? Using the fence?

thanks! Merry Christmas

Nancy

Nancy,

I have a 6" edge sander that does not oscillate. I use it mainly for cleaning up the ends and sides on cutting boards that I make. That's a very gift and I'm sure you will find many uses for it.

Bill

We use it for anything that fits on it. Cabinet door sides to flush up, same for cutting boards, just about anything curved.

Ours did not come with a fence but I have clamped on the board for small parts. My best advice, don't stand up wind of a small part.

It certainly has it's applications but personally I prefer the disc sander. I have both. Respect the edge sander, it can catch pieces and send them flying, end grain catches quite easily. 60 - 120 grits are the most useful in my shop. Enjoy!

I suppose it could be used to sharpen chisels and plane blades.
    Bill

Cleaning up bandsaw cuts if/when needed. Flushing sanding joints. Sanding convex curves. I never use it to true up a 90 degree angle as I'd rather do that at the table saw. Other than those things mine doesnt get used for much else besides any general belt sanding needs I might come across.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

I have it and wouldn't want to be without it.

Cabinet door edges, especially the top and bottoms with end grain.

With a light touch, curves. Never point a piece into the rotation, point it toward the back to avoid it being grabbed by the paper.

Use the locking guide to sand end grain to 90º or any angle but again, point the tip of the angle toward the dust collection hole.

I'd say it's too aggressive for plane irons but I did put an 80 grit belt on and used it to flatten an old plane and then square the sides. Worked great but it was an old junker- I'd be wary of doing that on a quality plane.

Once you get used to it, you will use it for things you can't imagine now.

I REALLY wish it could be variable speed.

It's one of those "very handy to have" tools that you'll continually find interesting uses for. It's definitely a great gift that you got!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

For variable speed you could use a 3 phase motor and VFD. I assume they use a standard motor.
    Bill

The other day I needed to remount an axe head. Found that the pulley end worked great for that. Usually I clean up the edges of boards on projects. I make feet for my end tables and bedside tables that fit the radius of the large pulley. Mine also has an attachment for drums so I can use it to sand small radius parts.

Like Dave, use it to flush tops and bottoms of cabinet doors. It's also good for any edges where you need to get rid of planer ripples. Set up extension tables and you can sand the edges of log timber and sheet material such as ply. Use the same approach as planing a long edge ie good body position and a smooth action all the way past with no hesitation. If applying veneer edge strips, sanding first gets you a veryclean and almost invisible line. Cheers
    Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.

I have a non-oscillating large model (6 x 89 belt) and it is both one of the most useful and dangerous tools in my shop. In addition to all the uses noted above, it can also grind and shape wood (think sculpture). But if one of your fingers slips off the piece, it can grind through your skin faster than you can spit.

Just yesterday I used mine to sand the skin off one of my knuckles.

Blog Entries
    The Jet table adjustment is a bit persnickety but, other than that I have found it to be a very useful machine. I found the table size to be limiting and so added this using the t-nuts that came with the machine.

Sander Pics for Larry (2).jpg

I use a couple of spacers to assure clearance before tightening it down. The sander head is still fully adjustable.

Sander Pics for Larry (16).jpg

The fence is adjustable.

Sander Pics for Larry (17).jpg

Proved so handy I have left it on for years despite losing the table thickness in height. As to uses (and I should mention that I have grits from 60 to 400):
    - Squaring or flattening the bottoms of small boxes
    - Smoothing all sorts of surfaces
    - Beveling edges
    - Reducing dimensions
    Once you start to think of it in your work all sorts of things will crop up that an edge sander can do for you.

Our own Cary Falk designed a table raising wheel mechanism. Unfortunately the pictures were hosted elsewhere instead of being uploaded to the forum so the thread is pretty broken. Still, here it is and maybe a PM to Cary would get you the pics if you wanted to pursue that.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 12-26-2017 at 9:14 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

In addition to the aforementioned knuckle, uh, smoothing I've used mine to "joint" edges for glue up, especially figured grain prone to tearout, smooth curves such as for clamping cauls, true the face of shaper fences, edge sand doors, drawer fronts, cutting boards, etc., and I've used the drum end to create faux live edge for cabinet door rails. Now that you've got it you'll find all kinds of uses for it.

As others have said, use a light touch and try to make sure your work piece, especially curves, sands downstream.

Make sure it's hooked up to a dust collector when sanding wood and unhooked if/when sanding metal (that may spark and make fire).