Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Felder groover (dado) on CF 531 problem

Question Felder groover (dado) on CF 531 problem

I have CF 531 combination machine. First time decided to use Felder groover on table saw for multiple dado. I have this one - Adjustable Dado Cutter for Saw Unit, RB-HW

SF531 dado - 2.jpg
    Immediately discover - I have a problem, please see attached images.SF531 dado - 3.jpg SF531 dado - 1.jpgSF531 dado - 4.jpgI check Youtube video - I did exactly same way. I don't see how any rings can be added - not enough space on arbor.
    What I am doing wrong ??

Thank you and have a wonderful Holiday.

Ed.

Ed
    i thnik you need the dado blade for the Hammer saw - it is smaller in diameter than what you are using. I used to have a hammer saw and it was limited in the diameter of the dado blade - and Felder sells two diameters, the Hammer is 180 mm, which would miss the items on your saw. The one that you have is 228, which might be too large. I would suggest calling Felder on Tuesday

Joh

Thank you, John. It is very unfortunate, I bought this dado set from another fellow. Very nice set for a good price. Looks like I am going to use router for this project again.

Ed.

That's a bummer that it's the incorrect size for your machine, Eduard...it's a really nice setup. I honestly wish Felder would release a version for those of us with non-Felder machines. LOL
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Ed - if I did not already have that blade, I would be making you an offer

John

It is just make me angry. I am hobbyist, but even if I will be small proshop owner, why I don't see this info on Felder site. Why is so difficult to put manuals and instruction for machine owners on Internet. I do appreciate and I use very often information from Yahoo Felder site or SMC site, with a lot of very knowledgeable and helpful people. But this is your time you spent to explain me something or my time try to find information from Internet.
    I am working a lot of hours on my job and most of my ww done on weekend or evenings. Most of businesses, like Felder showroom, already closed. I don't have luxury to call ww related stuff during their business hours - it is not related to my main profession. Only information I can find - Internet.
    End of my runt, sorry.
    yea, looks like I am going to post another sale on Classified.

Ed.

Ed - if you look in the owners manual it will list the size of dado blade that will work in your saw, which should be 6~7 inches, or 155 to 180 mm. The larger 700 series saws use a 228 mm - same with the saw blade, your saw uses a 10 inch with the scoring blade, and the 700 round a 12 inch with a larger scoring blade. Sorry, I have been using Felder equipment for the last 10 years

John, Thank you.
    On e-shop Felder site I can see Hammer and Silent Power groovers, but I don't see any information for diameter or appropriate machine to use for. When I found deal for dado I have now - it say For Felder machine. I have Felder machine - CF531, and wrongly assume it is good for me. Now you know the result .
    Have a nice evening.
    Ed.
    Quote Originally Posted by John P Clark View Post
    Ed - if you look in the owners manual it will list the size of dado blade that will work in your saw, which should be 6~7 inches, or 155 to 180 mm. The larger 700 series saws use a 228 mm - same with the saw blade, your saw uses a 10 inch with the scoring blade, and the 700 round a 12 inch with a larger scoring blade. Sorry, I have been using Felder equipment for the last 10 years

When you asked about rings - were they supposed to go between the flange and the blade? I recently bought a hammer and there were two rings that came with the machine of different thickness. I was told that they are use to keep the dado set out far enough to allow the out side flange (bolt) to seat. I am not sure but it might be worth looking into. I believe they said it was part of the dado prep package.

Felder make 2 Dado sets, the unit for the Hammer and K500 series machines is 170mm and the unit for the K700 and higher series is a full 2 cutter set thats 200mm. Just for the record a 10" dado set won't work on K700 saws. I've got a 10" dado set if you really want to try. Felder in the US also sold Forrest Dados that were already bored and pinholed. The Forrest Dado for the Hammer is a 6" unit and an 8" unit for the other saws. Forrest also have these listed on the website.

https://www.forrestblades.com/dado-king/

I've have the Hammer 170mm and used the Forrest, both work OK but my preference is my Freud SD508 that I had bored and pinholed. It gives a flat bottomed super clean cut with no bat ears.

I have a K700 s and the 200 mm works find on mine - send yours this way, I could use an additional one

Eduard, I think he was referring to the saw manual relative to blade specifications. That said, I do agree that in so many cases, the technical information available online from many vendors is truly inadequate, especially for folks who, like you, just cannot get on the phone during "normal business hours" because woodworking is a sideline and other employment is primary during those hours.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

John C unfortunately a 10" blade is 250mm and an 8" blade is 200mm. The riving knife mount interferes with the 10" dado mounting. I'll post pics if you need more proof. The 10" dado was a $600.00 mistake purchase I made 8 years ago before I knew better. Now that 10" dado blade is used on the shaper for deep tenons.
    Last edited by John Kee; 12-25-2017 at 3:10 PM. Reason: additional info

John, what diameter Freud dado set do you use 6" or 8" and where did you bored and pinholed for Felder arbor size?
    Thank you everyone for responses. Now I am on market for dado set for my CF531.

Ed.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kee View Post
    Felder make 2 Dado sets, the unit for the Hammer and K500 series machines is 170mm and the unit for the K700 and higher series is a full 2 cutter set thats 200mm. Just for the record a 10" dado set won't work on K700 saws. I've got a 10" dado set if you really want to try. Felder in the US also sold Forrest Dados that were already bored and pinholed. The Forrest Dado for the Hammer is a 6" unit and an 8" unit for the other saws. Forrest also have these listed on the website.

https://www.forrestblades.com/dado-king/

I've have the Hammer 170mm and used the Forrest, both work OK but my preference is my Freud SD508 that I had bored and pinholed. It gives a flat bottomed super clean cut with no bat ears.

Eduard on your CF531 you would have to use a Freud SD506. Royce Ayr did the boring and pinholes but any good sharpening service should also be able to do the machining.