Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to flatten a wooden plane seat

How to flatten a wooden plane seat

In this video made in 1984, two toolmakers for woodworking show how they were manufacturing their tools. At around the 9 minutes mark, one of them is seen flattening a wooden plane seat.

I think that we have here at SMC a few toolmakers and it'd be interesting to have their comments on the technique used.

The video is in French and I can translate a portion if required.

https://www.rts.ch/archives/tv/cultu...iframe-overlay

Quote Originally Posted by Normand Leblanc View Post
    In this video made in 1984, two toolmakers for woodworking show how they were manufacturing their tools. At around the 9 minutes mark, one of them is seen flattening a wooden plane seat.

I think that we have here at SMC a few toolmakers and it'd be interesting to have their comments on the technique used.

The video is in French and I can translate a portion if required.

https://www.rts.ch/archives/tv/cultu...iframe-overlay
    Most folks seem to bed the iron in a wooden plane using some combination of: Paring with a chisel (what the video shows), paring with a scraper (often a chisel whose tip has been ground at 90 deg), and working with a float (https://www.lie-nielsen.com/product/...oats?node=4098).

Thanks for the link Normand. Didn't understand a word but I very much enjoyed watching these men who have probably been at this work since being teenagers.

Wondering what those two fellas would think of the sharpening threads on here? Just a grinder, and then a well-used oil stone, was all he needed.

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Wondering what those two fellas would think of the sharpening threads on here? Just a grinder, and then a well-used oil stone, was all he needed.
    Yes Steve, I've noticed that as well. It's really different from our modern techniques using 10 different stones.

I very much enjoyed watching these men who have probably been at this work since being teenagers.
    Mark, the oldest man is the younger man father. He's 80 yo and "can't retire" because he need to help his son. Sometimes two men are req'd and they haven't been able to find an apprentice.

Most folks seem to bed the iron in a wooden plane using some combination of: Paring with a chisel (what the video shows), paring with a scraper (often a chisel whose tip has been ground at 90 deg), and working with a float
    Patrick, I've built a few decent (far from perfect) wooden planes using a chisel with the ground tip. The technique in the video (paring with a chisel and pushing with your shoulder) is new to me and it seems to work very well.

Oh, pushing with the chisel grip butted on the shoulder is quite standard and is how I was taught at woodworking school in Amsterdam many years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by ernest dubois View Post
    Oh, pushing with the chisel grip butted on the shoulder is quite standard and is how I was taught at woodworking school in Amsterdam many years ago.
    Same here, I learned that as a standard technique (from a Kirby article IIRC).

I guess I missed that lesson. I used my chin once to push a chisel while fine tuning a mortise wall. Went upstairs and LOML says “what happened to your chin?”. It was all red and brused and lasted for several days. Not my smartest move
    Last edited by Phil Mueller; 12-26-2017 at 8:39 PM.

Have also used my chin.....I keep a hand between the chisel and my chin, though. Shoulder is not an option ...they are in bad enough shape.

you need a fairly long chisel for either the chin or shoulder trick.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    you need a fairly long chisel for either the chin or shoulder trick.
    Not really. I do it with regular bench chisels all the time, and that's how it's been presented in every article I've seen. It probably depends on your bench height, work holding (on bench vs in vise), and physical conditioning/flexibility though.

I recall that video from some years back, but, reaquainting myself, two features stand out: The first is using the shoulder to push the chisel, and the second being the shape of the shavings that flew out of the jointer. These were dead straight, which indicates that the chipbreaker was set close up - in other words, it was being used.

Adam Cherubini used to advocate using the shoulder (in his recreations of olde world technique). Here he is, 2009, unfortunately not in costume ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

I shoulder push my chisels at night, so I don't wake the neighbors (apartment living). I tend to grip the chisel handle high, so that I am pushing on both my hand and the end of the chisel.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    the shavings that flew out of the jointer. These were dead straight, which indicates that the chipbreaker was set close up - in other words, it was being used.
    I've notice the same when I first listen to this video but couldn't remember seeing a chipbreaker. Now that you're mentioning the same, I had another quick look at it and it's there, the chipbreaker can be seen for a few seconds at 12:56. So, some people in Europe, in 1984, were using this same technique that we - most of us - are just rediscovering. Interesting!

You can see the chip breaker clearly at 16.30 when he assembles the finished plane. The wedge has a recess cut in it for the chip breaker screw.
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!