Thread: Sometimes cannot see photos

Sometimes cannot see photos

On some threads I can see photos. On some others I just see a paper clip icon and the text Attached thumbnails. Often other responses to the post indicate that the respondent can see the photos. Is there a setting I'm missing?

Cliff
    The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.
    Charles Bukowski

Blog Entries
    You have to be signed in to see the photos. If you are viewing as a guest you cannot see the photos.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Yes, I'm signed in. That's why I'm able to see some photos. But even when signed in some still show as the paperclip icon and the 'Attached thumbnails' text.

Cliff

details?

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Polubinsky View Post
    On some threads I can see photos. On some others I just see a paper clip icon and the text Attached thumbnails. Often other responses to the post indicate that the respondent can see the photos. Is there a setting I'm missing?
    Cliff, I don't have a clue, having never seen that. More information may provide a clue.
    Some ideas:

Provide a link to a specific message (or better, two or three links) with photos that don't display correctly for you so others can check.
    Might be helpful: a screen shot of what you see on your device.

Is the problem consistent with a specific message, both in the same session and a few days later?
    What happens when you click on the paper clip icon?
    What happens when you Right-click on the icon - do you the usual RC popup with and option to view or save the image? If so, do those work?

It may also be useful to describe your situation - windows, mac, ipad, phone, OS and version, browser, connection.

Just to eliminate some possibilities perhaps try to access the same message from a different device and from a different internet provider (at a remote location).
    If the problem is sporadic with a specific message, perhaps the check connection at the time (ping, tracert, speedtest, etc)

JKJ

I'm wondering, are you visiting the site via "www" each time, or without that? It can make a difference if the forum has cookies set to "www" and you visit via "domain.com" and not "www.domain.com". Just tested, and I'm logged in using www. If I visit a thread while logged in with that, I see images "inline" (an actual thumbnail). If I remove the www from the address bar and view again, they're links to the attachments.

Try it for yourself.

To the forum admins, this may help fix that.
    https://www.vbulletin.org/forum/show...81&postcount=8

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Petersen View Post
    I'm wondering, are you visiting the site via "www" each time, or without that? It can make a difference if the forum has cookies set to "www" and you visit via "domain.com" and not "www.domain.com". ...
    I didn't know that! Excellent information. I just tested access and the forum forgot who I was.

I didn't log in again but I did check a message I knew had three images. I didn't see the paperclip icon Cliff mentioned, though, just the .jpg file names. Clicking on these displayed the images. These were inline images, not indicated as attachments at the bottom of the message, if that matters.

JKJ

Some more data points

Finaly had some time to do some experimentation. Turns out the problem comes when viewing with an Android device with the mobile version of the forum.

If I use my laptop (Windows 10) everything is fine. If I use my phone (moto Play Z) or either of my tablets (Samsung 10" and 7") I have the problem. But if I click on Full Site at the bottom of the page I get photos instead of the Attached Thumbnails icon.

-- Provide a link to a specific message (or better, two or three links) with photos that don't display correctly for you so others can check.
    Here's one - http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.p...h-build-thread
    On this thread I get the icon on the first post. All the others I can see the photos.

-- Might be helpful: a screen shot of what you see on your device.
    Attached_Thumbnaols.jpg

-- Is the problem consistent with a specific message, both in the same session and a few days later?
    Yes it's consistent. I can go back at any time and still see things the same. In the posts where I could see the photos I can see them. In the posts where I saw the icon I see the icon.

-- What happens when you click on the paper clip icon?
    -- What happens when you Right-click on the icon - do you the usual RC popup with and option to view or save the image? If so, do those work?
    In either case nothing happens. It doesn't act like a link. I get no popups.

Evidently it has something to do with the mobile version/view of the site.

Another curious thing I just noticed, on the thread linked above as I mentioned when viewing the mobile site I see the icon on the first post and the photos on the others. When viewing Full Site I see all the photos. When viewing on my laptop I see the photos in the first post and all the others I see links, not photos.

Curiouser and curiouser.

Cliff
    The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.
    Charles Bukowski

Cliff,

I tried looking at that thread with an iPad running Safari but with the full version of SMC, not the mobile version. The link you provide does not include the "www" as Roy explained. I got the paperclip with the attachment text.

When I clicked on an attachment text line on the FIRST message I got a popup request to log in. The following messages did not have the paperclip icon but some hex codes for the JPGs but clicking on one of those did two things: it switched me back to the www.sawmillcreek.org access AND displayed the photo.

Then I tried the same link you provided using my Win10 laptop and got the identical behavior as I saw on the iPad.

Did you try accessing SMC with www.sawmillcreek.org as Roy suggested? Try this link with your android device: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...h-build-thread

JKJ

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Polubinsky View Post
    Finaly had some time to do some experimentation. Turns out the problem comes when viewing with an Android device with the mobile version of the forum.
    I get the same thing on my Venue 7 when in mobile version, so it looks like a mobile version problem not a user problem. Photos that are put inline don't show and attached photos do show.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Knowing it was the difference between phone and regular PC would have been good to know.
    That's by design when it comes to VB. The mobile view switches to attached rather than inline so you're not downloading lots of what could be really large images on page load (since air time can be expensive). It's then the user's choice to see the images, or to request the desktop version for normal behavior.

Blog Entries
    I am viewing with an iPad and logged in, but I get the "click link for picture" as well. I click it, and I get the picture. I am logged in when this occurs. I actually came here to see if this was reported yet. Seems like a mobile device issue.

Blog Entries
    I just figured it out- I went to the dropdown box at bottom left of the page ("Quick Style Chooser) and changed it from "db4 default style" to "Default Mobile Style". It logged me out and I had to log back in and now I am seeing pictures again.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    I just figured it out- I went to the dropdown box at bottom left of the page ("Quick Style Chooser) and changed it from "db4 default style" to "Default Mobile Style". It logged me out and I had to log back in and now I am seeing pictures again.
    The Mobile style got me once. I don't remember any picture issues but I was in a panic for a bit by the difference: What?? When did...? How...? For a moment I thought the site or my computer had been hacked, then I wondered if the SMC royalty had suddenly changed everything!

I use the full (non-mobile) style even when accessing on occasion from my iPad but I can't imagine trying to read it on a tiny phone screen.

JKJ

Hi I'm a fairly new member, and I can also not see any loaded images or downloads by other members.
    Is there a reason why?
    Please let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Biagio Cozza View Post
    Hi I'm a fairly new member, and I can also not see any loaded images or downloads by other members.
    Is there a reason why?
    Please let me know.
    Biagio,

The "Member" status does not permit viewing photos. The "Contributor" status does, plus has other benefits. It comes at a trivial cost! ($6 minimum per year)

Check here for details: https://sawmillcreek.org/payments.php

I personally found it easier to sign up for a monthly recurring contribution so I never have to think about it.

JKJ