Thread: Old Disston Handsaws

Blog Entries

Old Disston Handsaws

Just wondering . . . .
    Am I the only one that has a small collection of them.
    I have seven of them. I don't know why, I just do.
    I have one that I think is a D7, the medallion is long gone.
    It is 8 tpi crosscut with a four saw nut handle, I think it is a panel saw.
    It has a nib and a panel saw handle.

I sometimes buy these saws on line.

Blog Entries
    Mine haven't been counted. Quite a few have accumulated over the years. At least 4 of my backsaws are Disston's.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Besides the Atkins, Richardson Bros...
    stair view.JPG
    Besides the 16 IN the til, there are 4 hanging on the side, and two compass saws hanging on the back.....along with a few Mitre box saws hanging around..

Blog Entries
    I also have a D-12.
    My saw has the nib on it.
    See this site.
    http://www.disstonianinstitute.com/12page.html

You are not the only one. I have, well.......several. I'm currently refurbishing a lucky buy. $15 for a rusted, badly-broken-toted 20" panel saw, a #7, from the 1870's (not a typo). The handle is broken in 3 places, and being held together by 2 screws and a nail.

I've made a new handle from cherry and am currently waiting for my hand to recover from recent surgery to finish it, clean up the plate, and get it back in service with a good filing. I have so much free time on my hands right now because of the surgery that I'm going bat-shit crazy. Not used to being idle like this.......
    Jeff

Blog Entries
    I enjoy rejuvenating old saws. I have filed the tooth line smooth and filed new teeth on saws. It is rewarding to resurrect old saws.
    Harvey came through earlier this year and I can't find my saw set though.

Hi Lowell,

Nope, I don't think you are alone in having a collection of Disston hand saws. There are several of us on this site that have a seriously bad case of the "way more hand saws than I need" problem, although I think a lot of us don't limit it to the Disston brand only.

I think my case of the "way too many hand saws" is bad enough, but it is only a very mild case compared to some of the other members.

Mine isn't really a collection, I just have them, but mine are users, not collectors. At least that is what I tell myself. That said I probably have way more hand saws than I can possibly use up in the rest of my life. Shoot, I haven't used up the blade on the first hand saw I ever bought, and I use it quite a bit. It still has a bunch of sharpenings left in it, especially since I now sharpen my own saws rather than take them to a commercial sharpener. Unlike some (but not all) of the commercial guys, I just take of the minimum steel to get them sharp.

Like Jim, I haven't counted the number, and the garage is cold enough right now that they aren't going to get counted this evening!

My guess is that probably 1/2 of mine, or more, are Disston, simply due to the great number of Disston hand saws out in the used market. If such is the case I have less than Steven, but still way more than I need, and I still have to remind myself when a great bargain shows up that I don't need any more hand saws. (If a Disston 12 shows up at what is a relatively bargain price, that "I don't need any more hand saws" rule will go out the window.)

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 01-02-2018 at 8:56 PM.

I had an abundance of them, but sold a dozen off as a group last year. I kept a couple as users (one CC and one Rip). The gent that bought them was a happy camper.

Sharp solves all manner of problems.