Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: beginner tool list

Hi Brandon,
    If you don't mind driving to the far side of Lake Minnetonka, I have a #5 that I would let go at a very reasonable price. Possibly a 9 1/2 and a brace and set of bits also. I can show you how to sharpen and tune up the planes and bits as well. You can PM me if interested (I haven't figured out how to send those yet).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Seemann View Post
    Hi Brandon,
    If you don't mind driving to the far side of Lake Minnetonka, I have a #5 that I would let go at a very reasonable price. Possibly a 9 1/2 and a brace and set of bits also. I can show you how to sharpen and tune up the planes and bits as well. You can PM me if interested (I haven't figured out how to send those yet).
    Sending a PM is fairly easy. At the top of the page there is a "Private Message" area to click on:

SMC Private Messaging.png

Clicking on this will take you to a page where you can send or read messages. If you have set up your account to do so, you will receive an email on your computer mail reader telling you there is a private message for you.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Seemann View Post
    Hi Brandon,
    One of my New Year's wishes is especially for new members to include their location in their profile. Like Andrew there are some planes and other tools in my shop that would be let go for " a very reasonable price." The real problem is some of them are fine tools but for some reason or another may not even be worth the cost of shipping.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

If you can wait until February to buy tools, you will find a very good selection of vintage hand tools at the MWTCA Cabin Fever tool meet at Medina, MN. You will need to join the MWTCA to gain entry, but it's money well spent. The selection of tools is very good. A big plus is that Mike Siemsen usually demonstrates some hand tool technique at this meet. Normand already mentioned him, and I will second that recommendation. Plus, he lives in Chisago City, not too far from you. If you go to the Medina meet, take a look at the bench he uses. That's the type I will recommend to you.

Thanks for all the replies everyone. Andrew, I will for sure take you up on the help. I will also plan to go to that vintage tool meet. I also did look up Mike Siemsen and I actually know the place where he runs classes and live about 5 miles from there so that may be a great resource as well.

Since we are talking planes and chisels... a good sharpening kit is essential. Scary sharp, oilstones, waterstones..which matters less than having a good set and learning to use it.

Blog Entries
    I agree with Ruperto, a sharpening kit is probably as important as all else. I use diamond stones. I keep them out on the bench and touch up the edges frequently.
    My chisels are razor sharp and they will produce translucent shavings. They are seldom struck, but when they are, I use a wooden mallet.

Speaking of sharpening I do suppose it is worth seeing if I need to add anything there.

I have a set of DMT bench stones in 325, 600 and 1200. A king water stone in 6000. I also have several strops and use white gold compound. Additionally I have a granite block and wet/dry paper in various grits up to 2,000.

I do also have a rikon slow speed grinder and belt sander which I use for lathe tools although I dont see either having much of an application here unless a tool gets really messed up.

I know a need to add a file for sharpening saws and maybe one for brace and bit but is there anything else I am missing or should plan to add?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon SPEAKS View Post
    [edited]

I know a need to add a file for sharpening saws and maybe one for brace and bit but is there anything else I am missing or should plan to add?
    When it comes to sharpening saws you will find you need more than one file, even if all your saws use the same tooth count. Saw filing can wear out a file.

jtk

Blog Entries
    I find that you also need 4" and 6" files.