Thread: Festool repair

Festool repair

I unfortunately lost my domino joiner to hurricane Harvey. The box filled with salt water. Festool said they can install a new motor for$300 but I don't know what else may be needed. Has anyone sent Festools in for repair or tried to fix a hand tool that was n salt water? Please tell me your experience.
    Gregg Feldstone

I've had only one repair done by Festool, but they did a good job. They did exactly what they said they'd do, and did it promptly. I'd be inclined to send them the domino, explaining as I did it what the tool has been through. I'd ask them to inspect it, and get back to you with an estimate for the repair. If it is just the $300 motor replacement, maybe you go ahead. But if it turns into more money, maybe you tell them to ashcan it, and you consider buying a new one. Me, I'd be concerned about not only the motor and bearings, but also the electronics. With the electronics replacement cost, maybe it will be better to buy new.

I believe in Festool's service and have had all positive experiences. I agree that sending it to them with an explanation of the trauma you and the tool have be through is a good idea. Once they inspect it they will tell you what needs to be done. Then you can make a decision based on the economics of repairing versus buying new. Or if a Domino comes up in the recon sale that might be an option if you're inclined to buy reconditioned.

Unhappy I'd never try to recover an electrical/electronic tool once immersed in salt water

Quote Originally Posted by Gregg Feldstone View Post
    I unfortunately lost my domino joiner to hurricane Harvey. The box filled with salt water. Festool said they can install a new motor for$300 but I don't know what else may be needed. Has anyone sent Festools in for repair or tried to fix a hand tool that was n salt water? Please tell me your experience.
    I have some experience with photographic equipment: if they are saved from immersion in fresh water, you can have some hope... actually I have seem some "miracles" with cameras and lenses, although most times the damage is beyond any repair... but I never ever have seem a recovered camera or lens after immersed in salt water... some claims if immediately after immersed in salt water you re-immerse it into fresh water, there is also some hope, but personally I never testified that.

Based on that I would never try to recover an electrical/electronic tool once immersed in salt water.

Best luck for you.
    Last edited by Osvaldo Cristo; 12-24-2017 at 4:53 AM. Reason: Typo... as usual!

The key here is "salt water". They'd really need to replace pretty much everything electrical/electronic...and potentially everything metal...it insure that the long-term effects from the immersion are dealt with. Like Osvaldo, I'd be a bit concerned about throwing money into the tool due to the salt water circumstance, but if Festool believes they can replace anything and everything that might be affected, maybe it's worth considering. But buying a new one should also be considered; even a refurb. One of those came up the other day for about $750 for the "set"...which is a steal. Festool has a Recon notification system setup now...you have to be quick and grab something as soon as the email arrives however, because each email is for a specific item. (I just gradbed a CSX driver that way this week)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    The key here is "salt water". They'd really need to replace pretty much everything electrical/electronic...and potentially everything metal...it insure that the long-term effects from the immersion are dealt with. Like Osvaldo, I'd be a bit concerned about throwing money into the tool due to the salt water circumstance, but if Festool believes they can replace anything and everything that might be affected, maybe it's worth considering. But buying a new one should also be considered; even a refurb. One of those came up the other day for about $750 for the "set"...which is a steal. Festool has a Recon notification system setup now...you have to be quick and grab something as soon as the email arrives however, because each email is for a specific item. (I just gradbed a CSX driver that way this week)

Guys - be very cautious of the festool Recon sale ! It's a total crap shoot.

You may get a practically new sander -or- one that looks like it was dragged behind a truck.
    There are some folks that have received tools that are twelve years old and cost more in this sale than they did new back then. Their drills are shipping with old batteries and the LED lights are from the last generation.

Festool is also charging sales tax so your net discount will be less. Many of the tools ( that domino mentioned above) are in such short supply that you have better odds of winning a scratch off ticket in your state's lottery. Even clicking on to the link when the email arrives usually won't get you a domino. And be aware that there are NO RETURNS and the warranty is only 1 yr.

In my opinion it's a NO SALE , sale .

Salt water corrosion is like a cancer. Just when you think you've rid yourself of it, another lesion pops up somewhere and starts growing. That salt can get into little cracks and crevices that you don't even think of, just waiting to explode into corrosion at some future date. I would just bin it myself, if an insurance claim or selling it as a recovery project was not an option.

If you immerse it in cold fresh water within a few days you have a chance. After a week forget it. You will have to replace the gears, bearings, switches. The motor may be okay but it will need a total disassembly and washing out. Any metal parts will have to be removed including any pressed into plastic or metal parts. This includes pins etc designed never to be removed.
    Bill

Can it be claimed against your home owners policy for replacement? Me personally, I'd just put the $300.00 toward a new replacement.

There is a lot of aluminum on the domino and steel screws. Every one of those contact points may corrode someday. The whole machine will need to be completely disassembled, cleaned, neutralized, put back together, and aligned, or you will fight the effects of that corrosion for as long as you own the tool. Salt water is a "cancer" on any metal it comes in contact with. Two different metals in contact with other is even worse.
    I'm sorry for the negative response, but I've pretty much spent my entire working career in marine environments. I've seen a lot of nice tools lost to salt water corrosion.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 12-24-2017 at 8:42 AM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

You should allow at least one month in a heated vacuum chamber to dry the windings out after soaking the salt out. Oh boy a excuse to buy a vacuum pump!

I'd write off the old one and buy a new one. You could advertise the old one on Craigslist or eBay as flooded in the hurricane in case anyone else wants to work on restoring it. For a low price, someone might be willing to put the effort into fixing it.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Dave, now you have me concerned that the PDC 18, 5.2ah Festool drill set I ordered as a recon will not be as advertised.
    I mean ,they picture and describe the newest version in the offer. If it is anything but I will make them return my money or give me what I paid for. How can they justify not delivering what they claim they are selling?
    Gregg Feldstone

Gregg, the item will be as described. I personally missed that it was (accurately) described as the 1.5ah version, rather than the newer 2.6ah version. That was on "me", not Festool. The tool I received was "like new" and included all the accessories which were pristine. It was probably an "open box" return. And while it's evidently true that it wasn't quite as good of a deal as it could have been financially (particularly because of the tax), I'm very happy with the CSX I received and it will fill the intended role I bought it for very well.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Dave, now you have me concerned that the PDC 18, 5.2ah Festool drill set I ordered as a recon will not be as advertised.
    I mean ,they picture and describe the newest version in the offer. If it is anything but I will make them return my money or give me what I paid for. How can they justify not delivering what they claim they are selling?
    I'm sure you will receive what was advertised. Festool aren't total shysters. The problem (for me anyways) is that their descriptions and terms are cleverly worded and that allows them to send you a heavily used RO150 sander or a ten year old router. As long as you got a RO150 with a new pad and usable brushes - they have fulfilled their side of the bargain.

But, their are certainly satisfied customers from the sale.