Thread: Bosch CM10GD Glide miter saw heads-up

Bosch CM10GD Glide miter saw heads-up

So...I was cutting some 2 inch wide strips of 1/2 inch baltic birch about 8 inches long when the blade caught the piece and shot the end of it into the dust chute. The chute fractured breaking off two chunks that landed 10-12 ft away from the saw.
    I'll take responsibility since I did not clamp the work to the saw but nonetheless I was very surprised to learn that the chute would fracture into sharp shards like it did. Just something to be aware of. Not sure why this plastic piece couldn't have been molded from softer, more flexible material that would not shatter like this? Beware.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Built guitars in my basement for 10 years, mistakes went in the wood stove, was rarely cold.

Best funny woodworker line: "My worst fear is when I die my wife will sell all my tools for what I told her I paid for them"

Nonetheless seems like it would be prudent to mold these parts out of material that doesn't turn into shards, just sayin'...
    Built guitars in my basement for 10 years, mistakes went in the wood stove, was rarely cold.

Best funny woodworker line: "My worst fear is when I die my wife will sell all my tools for what I told her I paid for them"

Of course, a softer more flexible plastic would be more prone to abrasive wear.

Wow glad no one was injured.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

yeah, could have been much more dramatic than it was.