Thread: Christmas Moxon Vise for a friend

Christmas Moxon Vise for a friend

I have a friend who has gotten into woodworking, and over the past couple of years I’ve enjoyed teaching him techniques – particularly with hand tools. Last year he moved away, and doesn’t have a proper bench for hand tool work, so for Christmas this year I built him a Moxon vise. I don’t know where the design originated, but I copied the basic dimensions and and details from one my dad built several years ago.

The oak was given to me by another friend, who got it when he bought his house and didn’t know what to do with it when he moved away. I figured paying it forward was a good use of the material. The handles are some slightly figured maple that came from the firewood pile several years ago.

The keepers don’t work nearly as well as I’d hoped mainly because I threaded the handles all the way down to the keeper slots. This allows the keepers to ride up the threads and the handles come loose. I realize the keepers aren't technically necessary, but they are nice when they work.

Not totally neanderthal, since the lathe work was done on a powered lathe.....but close enough. I really have a lot to learn when it comes to woodturning.

Now I just have to mortgage the house to ship this beast to Tennessee! Questions and comments are certainly welcome.

Moxon Vise I.jpgMoxon Vise II.jpg

Nice job -- I need to find some friends like you.

Outstanding Roy and good on you for the idea. Merry Christmas to you and your friend and may he enjoy use of what looks to be a perfectly usable Moxon for a long time to come.
    David

You are a GOOD man, Sir.

Nice work! In my opinion, there is nothing better than a gift made by your own hands and efforts. It shows a level of commitment to the bond of friendship that cannot be equaled by the writing of a check, or the swiping of a credit card.

I'm sure your friend will cherish it for a lifetime.
    Jeff