Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Step back cupboard, a build thread

Ok, got to looking through what is left of the stash of Ash....found this..
    IMG_2769 (640x480).jpgIMG_2770 (640x480).jpg
    Figured I could center that knot in the drawer's front.
    Ok, supplies in hand, off to the shop.....cussing, and groaning ( me and the case) and more clamps than screws....a bunch of glue spread around...

IMG_2773 (640x480).jpg
    Takes up a LOT of room. Almost all of my clamps in use.....might have another 3 or 4 sitting around.
    Will let this mess sit a day, or two. Hauled that plank to the shop. measured to opening for the drawer...@ 21" wide.
    IMG_2776 (640x480).jpg
    Second line is because I wanted to center the knot....D-112 to do the crosscuts.
    IMG_2777 (640x480).jpg
    Need a better trained operator for this sort of thing, a second cut, and the blank was done..
    IMG_2778 (640x480).jpg
    Cleaned the cuts, and checked for square..
    IMG_2779 (640x480).jpg
    And, since the beltsander died....had to make do with a plane, to flatten things out..
    IMG_2780 (640x480).jpg
    There was a bit of usable plank left over, all but the last. Cut 21" and left the curvy end for scrap. It had more curves than a Pin-up.
    I think that will do it, for a Friday. Second blank will be ripped down to make parts for one of the doors.
    Stay tuned..

Today MIGHT be one of them "Fun" days.....hauled the pine 1 x 6 to the shop. Need to cut it down for two drawer sides. Drawer opening has been fine tuned.

Need to get set up, to build a drawer.....anyone want to come over and help out?

1/2 blind DTs....tails first.....Langdon Mitre box to do the dados for the back....Grooves for the bottom panel with the Stanley 45.....yeah, one of those kind of days...

First, I need to get all them clamps off the case.....need the room to work. South Bay is a bit on the full side in the shop....need to move things...

Well...drawer is now IN the clamps...just waiting on the glue to cure

33 pictures? This might take a few entries....

Well, at the risk of boring people....here goes. 4-1/2 hours of cutting, chopping and cussing....and all I get is one drawer done....getting slow, in me old age..
    IMG_2785 (640x480).jpg
    A 10ppi D-7....needed to cut two pine sides, for the drawer. Mitre box to square an edge, and to make both sides the same length....side 2 was a 1/8" too long..
    Ganged the two up and into the vise....wanted both to match in width..
    IMG_2786 (640x480).jpg
    Cut from the same board, and one was a tad wider? We have ways..
    IMG_2787 (640x480).jpg
    Miller Falls No. 14. Then did a bit of layout
    IMG_2788 (640x480).jpg
    Then a bit of chopping, after sawing the lines....until I had both of these done..
    IMG_2792 (640x480).jpg
    Used a "3rd Hand" to help lay out the other half..
    IMG_2797 (640x480).jpg
    Then a bit more saw work, and some chisel work, and then a dry fit...
    IMG_2798 (640x480).jpg
    For both ends.....Part 2 coming right up....we are about to get groovey
    Stay tuned...

OK, part 2. Reset the mitre box
    IMG_2801 (640x480).jpg
    Depth stops were raised up, about 3/8" or so.
    Marked two lined on each of the side pieces, 1/2" and 1" in...ran the mitre saw..
    IMG_2802 (640x480).jpg
    To make a dado for the drawer's back. Needed to clear the waste out....Stanley 45 was set up for grooves, so a big chisel to pop most of the waste out, then this little plane took over, once I reset the depth stop on it,,
    IMG_2803 (640x480).jpg
    Better view?
    IMG_2805 (640x480).jpg
    Stanley #39 3/8" Now, about that #45?
    IMG_2807 (640x480).jpg
    Needed grooves for the drawer's bottom to sit in...both sides, and..
    IMG_2808 (640x480).jpg
    the front. #13 cutter...about 3/8" deep. needed to do another dry fit, to size the panel for the bottom..
    IMG_2810 (640x480).jpg
    Once that was looking good, and square...time to make the back. 3/8" thick Poplar plank, was cut for length, and ripped for width..
    IMG_2812 (640x480).jpg
    We gaining on it. Part 3 is coming right up, stay tuned
    Last edited by steven c newman; 01-06-2018 at 6:14 PM.

Ok, part three of today's follies....Before I could add the glue. I wanted to drill a few pilot holes for screws to hold the back in place....then added the countersnk
    Attachment 375646
    Old School....ok, spread the glue around all the mating areas...as well as half of my fingers.. added clamps, and a few screws....
    Attachment 375647
    Needed that diagonal clamp, to pull the box into square..
    Attachment 375648
    Or, at least close to it. Plywood panel wasn't quite fitting right, hence the diagonal clamp. Plywood panel now sits in all of it's grooves.

Just waiting on the glue to cure, overnight. Then I can finish fitting the drawer to the case. Stay tuned.....

Blog Entries
    Great build- looking good. I have been following along. I have a stash of ash (which rhymes) left from the Roubo. It's a great wood to work with.

Thank you. Will find out more, later today, when those clamps are removed....

Debating on either single door, or a pair of skinny doors.....leaning towards the single door, for now. Need to start ripping frame parts, today. Then make a panel glue up. Either way, it will become a raised panel (s).

May have to go back and buy a few more planks, before I start on the Upper Cabinet. And, BEFORE the fellow heads to the Land of OZ to visit his Daughter....

Been wondering what finish the Boss will want for this project....hope it isn't going to be painted

Well, clamps are put away...nothing fell apart. Dovetails are cleaned up
    cleaned up.jpg
    Will just have to do, I guess. Front now has a pair of shiny metal knobs....so I can get the drawer back out, as I final fit it..
    test fit.jpg
    Two strips of scrap wood, used as drawer guides, were installed.......a bit too tight, but can adjust. Just need to find a few more knobs..
    handle details.jpg
    I think I'll need two more for the upper cabinet, already have one for the single door for the lower cabinet. Maybe cut some plugs out of Ash, to fill the holes?

Found out one thing today....IF I have to get down on a knee, I may need help to stand back up...

Trying to talk the Boss out of painting this thing......may have to set up a test board, to see what "normal" finish she might want....

Drawer front wasn't as quarter sawn as the rest of this build....will have to see IF that is an issue...

Well, weather outside my window is almost as ugly as the view in my mirror.....even though today IS a Monday, not much else to do..might try the shop, after lunch. Normally, the shop is closed on Mondays. May take a chance, if I get too bored. Need to make plugs to cover the screw holes, and start ripping door parts. need to size the frame for the door, so I can figure out what size of a raised panel to make. Not sure IF I will add a center (vertical) divider.....maybe it would look too "busy"?

Stay tuned....maybe one of the views will improve

Well, the view outside is still ugly...window views.jpg

I managed to fine tune the drawer, it now slides in like it is supposed to. Got a piece of walnut milled up..
    plugs.jpg
    9 counter-bores means 9 plugs. Small screwdriver to pop these out, the glued in place. Chisel and plane to flush them down even with the surface.

Hauled one board to the shop. Got out a saw..
    IMG_2821 (640x480).jpg
    Cut a couple pieces about 21" long. Set up a jig on the bandsaw, and made a few rip cuts...
    IMG_2822 (640x480).jpg
    Couple piece @ 2" wide. Then reset the fence, and ripped a few rails..Jointed the stiles..
    IMG_2825 (640x480).jpg
    To get rid of the saw marks, and make sure they matched each other..the same for the rails..
    IMG_2823 (640x480).jpg
    Set up a jig, and the Stanley 45...
    IMG_2828 (640x480).jpg
    Needed a groove, to house the raised panel in. Rails needed tenons made, once I figure out where..
    IMG_2833 (640x480).jpg
    And made them haunched tenons.....then a groove was milled. Had to raise the fence on the 45.....was rubbing the jig a bit.
    Just need to chop a few mortises, and start on making a raised panel. First I have to cut a few boards to length, and do a glue up.

Shop was almost too work to work in, very long. so I am taking a break, until it cools down.

Stay tuned....we'll see what this evening brings...

Work had to wait until this afternoon-ish
    Hauled a plank to the shop. Already had two pieces of 4/4 x 6 Ash, that were a tad long..cut a third piece out of the new plank. Cut all these for length.

Went to check for width....about an inch too narrow....cut down a 2" wide scrap. Then jointed all the edges....that took a while. until they were straight and square

Then a few clamps to test fit....one board was a bit off....Crochet, and a c clamp...#14 to correct that edge. Couple of the planks needed face planed, to reduce a curved area.. Finally got things to where I could spread some glue, and tighten the clamps..
    IMG_2839 (640x480).jpg
    Will let this sit right there, awhile. Unless I get bored and decide to do a few mortises....no need to move this
    IMG_2840 (640x480).jpg
    No gaps, just some shadow lines, where one spot was thicker than it's neighbor. Ankle deep in shavings...I am a bit winded. Time to take a break.

Maybe later tomorrow, I can remove the clamps, and get the panel ready to be raised....stay tuned

That was a LOT of plane work. Mainly with the Millers Falls #14....boards are a hair over 18" long....way too short for the larger Jointers to do much good on. The Stanley #4 was used for small spots, and a bit of face plane work. Tape on the handle? More as a grip, as far as I can tell, nothing is broken inside the tape. I can set for a finer cut than the Stanley from England plane....as I leave one for finer work, and one for faster work....nice to have several set up, just a hair different from each other.

The remains of the plank I hauled to the shop, today....will make one side of the Upper Cabinet.....more of a Book case. IF I want to build a door for the upper unit, I will need to go out a buy some more boards..from my source. Maybe three boards....

Hopefully, I am not boring anyone, with this long thread....

Stay tuned...

I very much enjoy watching your builds. I like how you explain what you are doing and what tools you use. Standing by for the next installment.
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!