Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Step back cupboard, a build thread

Step back cupboard, a build thread

Time to get busy. hauled two planks to the shop, tonight. Mr. Gumption picks some strange times to show up...
    Marked the first one, in order to get two blanks out of it. Second one only had enough for one blank.....got out a saw..
    handsawn.jpg
    A D-112, and that big, old square. Was only trying for a rough length, fine tune after they are glued up.
    Saw worked great, cut straight as the operator would allow and gave me a Cardio workout, as well. Second plank had quite a bit left over..
    drawer front.jpg
    Thinking either a door, or a drawer front. Camera wanted to turn things a reddish colour..
    grain.jpg
    And, somehow, I doubt IF that is flat sawn...
    end grain.jpg
    Doesn't quite look like it, does it? needed to joint a few edges, and get ready for a glue-up..
    jointer work.jpg
    Will see how the grain looks when I go to glue them up. Jointer?
    Bailey No. 7c.jpg
    Stanley No. 7c. Little square to check the edges for square. MK1 Eyeball to check the edge is straight.
    Maybe I can get an earlier start, tomorrow? Need to get these three sitting in the clamps, and OFF my bench....I have two more panels to get ready.

This will be one side, there will be a matching side done...and a "top" done. Feet will need to be cut out along the bottom edge. Top edge has other things to be done to it....it is a start, at any rate.....Stay tuned

Brunch is done, waiting on it to settle. Will try to get a few things done today.....we'll see.

Film @ 2300 ZULU.....

Pictures of what little happened, so far today....( 2+ hours, working too hard for a Friday)
    IMG_2635 (640x480).jpg
    Jointed a few more edges, until the gaps go away. Top board is just sitting there, nothing holding it...
    Finally, got out the clamps and a new bottle of glue.....fought both until...
    IMG_2636 (640x480).jpg
    I got this heavy thing OFF my bench, and out of the way. I had to use a couple of cauls, too.

Ok, started to haul more planks to the shop. Goal was to cut enough at 35-1/2" long, to make the second side panel....then trim the leftovers for a 26-1/2" wide panel for the top of the case... I tried to use that frame saw.....it wanted to lean too much in the cut. Will shoot the end grain once the panels are flattened.
    Anyway, got out the D-112 and made a few better cuts..
    IMG_2638 (640x480).jpg
    By the time I got the boards cut to length and the ends almost square..
    IMG_2639 (640x480).jpg
    Was getting a bit tuckered out. Decided a breaktime was in order.
    As for that end grain..
    IMG_2640 (640x480).jpg
    "Very interesting"
    Later today....I might get back to the shop, have a few edges to joint...stay tuned

Weather outside my window looking rather ...ugly. Might just go and hide in the shop today....have 6 boards to get the edges jointed, and a "filler" strip to make. Filler will try to match the other three boards in the "top" panel. needs a bit of overhang out the front. Have nasty looking plank, might just cut the "best" section out.

Stay tuned...

Yep, nasty outside..
    snow day.jpg
    Welcome sign is for people...NOT for that white stuff on everything.

Hauled an ugly plank to the shop..
    ugly board.jpg
    The other end wasn't much better...
    curvey.jpg
    Bit of a curve to it, as well. I cut off the bad ends, as I only needed about 26" or so
    trimmed down.jpg
    I didn't need the full width, either....laid out two STRAIGHT lines, 2-1/2" apart. Removed the lines ..
    piece work.jpg
    And kept the middle piece. Piece on the right shows why there was a curve....
    Got the jointer planes out, and a #4 ...just the joint the edges for a good glue joint....some were better than others..
    rough edge.jpg
    Well.. I do need a rebate along the back edge of the top's panel. #7c jointed what was left of the edge.
    After all 8 edges were jointed, parts marked as to where each edge meets which edge....battery on the camera started to die....and my back was acting up.

Decided on a long Lunch Break, and wait on the camera battery to recharge...Need to get panel #1 out of the clamps, and panel #2 in to the clamps. Later, I might get the top panel glued up? That #4? I used that to square an edge, or two. Had a couple ROUGH edges that needed a cambered jack.
    That steel ruler? Called a Tinners Rule.....for tinsmiths to measure metal to make all sorts of metal cans...makes a decent straight edge, too.

Stay tuned...

Feeling under the weather today....
    Maybe I COULD glue up the smaller panel, today....between trips to the bathroom...

Decided to just take the weekend off....happy Holidays..

Same to you and yours Steven C. Thanks for the project thread.
    David

Amazing....I am still wide awake, and it is after Midnight here.....so, since it IS Tuesday..now, I could do a wee bit in the shop..besides a bit of Laundry

Went to the shop to check on a Stanley No. 5 jack plane.....Wasn't quite a match for another thread's question...

Decided to at least try to do a glue up.....not really a fan of Gorilla Glue..set one plank into the leg vise, spread some glue, grab the next in line, moosh it around into the glue...repeat until all four pieces are sitting there.....Added a few clamps and cauls.....got a load of clothes out of the dryer, and refilled the dryer with more clothes..

Panel #1 is also out of the clamps....wood had shrunk just enough to make the clamps loose.....

have a $50 Gift card from the Blue BORG.....may go shopping for a few boards....need drawer parts. And a plywood panel for the backs of the case and bottom of the drawer.
    Stay tuned...

Last night's glue up is out of the clamps, now have side panel #2 sitting in the clamps....waiting on the glue to dry. Took a couple cauls, and a bunch of clamps.....

Will see how it looks this afternoon, maybe later this evening.....need to go buy a few things this morning....after I put a Brass Monkey back together ( single digits outside, right now....) anything below 55 degrees should be outlawed....or, I need to hibernate til spring...

Last glue up is out of the clamps....Picked up a 36 grit sanding belt to try out. Not all of the boards were the same thickness, thought I would hog the worst off with the beltsander, then finish up with the planes. Picked up a 1 x 6 for the drawer sides, some 1 x 2 for a couple web frames, and a 1/4" x 2' x 4' plywood panel, for the case's back, and the drawer bottom. Need to saw out the feet profiles for the bottom edge of the side panels. And hope the two side panels match for width...need to square the ends, too.

This might take a while. stay tuned

OK, I remembered to take the camera down to the shop...That Shopsmith 36 grit "Ceramic" sanding belt hogged most of the excess wood...dusty mess...

Followed up with a few of these things..
    IMG_2653 (640x480).jpg
    Stanley #70 works great to remove any dried up glue..
    IMG_2654 (640x480).jpg
    A Junior jack plane to level a few high spots a bit better,,
    IMG_2650 (640x480).jpg
    Fine tune things with a couple of these....
    Ends of both panels are square, they match each other for length and width..
    IMG_2652 (640x480).jpg
    Tomorrow, I can trace out the "foot" profiles, and saw those out. Might even work on the panel for the top..
    IMG_2648 (640x480).jpg
    These panel are a bit on the heavy side, though. I am a dusty, sweaty mess, and quite tired out. Need a nap.

That will do until tomorrow..stay tuned...

Thought about using a Frame & Raised Panel for the sides of this case.....but, since this will sit back into a corner beside the chimney, went with glued up sides. Takes a lot longer to do it this way. There is a bottom shelf and a middle shelf to make. They will be out of 3/4 Plywood, and I will use sliding dovetails to assemble them to the sides.

1 x 2s to build a pair of webframes, one above the drawer that will also attach the top to the case, the second one is for the drawer to slide on. A face frame will be made from the Ash, and attached with a Tongue & Groove joint to the front edge of the side panels. Right now, it looks like there will be a single door, with a raised panel.

No real plan on paper, working from a single picture I once saw...all else is in my head. IF anyone wants the sizes of the parts...let me know.

Nice progress. Working along in the workshop with the cold biting outside is a real treat. My woodworking over Christmas has been to put up a wooden curtain pole! Look forward to seeing the finished item.

While this computer was getting scanned, defragged, and whatever else it needed done, I wandered down to the shop for a bit...

Got this "Vintage" saw out.
    .IMG_2658 (640x480).jpg

Traced out a few curves and such, and removed the waste part..
    IMG_2657 (640x480).jpg
    This was after both panels got their "feet". I clamped them together, as I wanted one edge planed..
    IMG_2656 (640x480).jpg
    Still have the top edges to trim to match each other. I wanted one "good" edge, so I can run the Stanley 45 along it, to make a tongue to match the groove in the face frame. I can use this planed egde to reference to when I lay out the shelves, and the webframes' locations. Back edges will get a rebate to house the plywood back panel.

More running around today, kind of puts a crimp in shop time.....will need a couple full days IN the shop, just to get caught up...may have to stock the shop with a case of Mountain Dew, too.
    Maybe tomorrow, eh? Stay tuned, the cussing hasn't even started...yet