Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Shop Layout

New Shop Layout

I am about to out grow my office in the house and will soon be moving everything out to my shop. Its currently a 12x24 w/ a 12' lean to off the back but I will be closing that part in, to create a 24'x24. My though is to have a little office (10x12) and "conference room" in the front part. In the back part, I have room for (2) 18x32 lasers, a big wash sink, a 3'x6' table and counters all around the walls. I plan to hang wall cabinets and or shelving on the walls.

In my current office I can reach my desk, laser and storage rack all at the same time, so my prep area/walking flow is pretty tight. Once in the shop, I will have a lot more room to move around, so I need to think about how the back part will be arranged. I want to minimize wasted walking but still have room for storage and job work flow.

If you don't mind sharing, what is there about your shop layout that you would change tomorrow? Is your sink to far away or do you not have enough prep room or not enough storage....etc.

Thank you for your time!

Trey
    Universal 60w VLS6.60 w/ rotary
    RayFine 30w MOPA
    Corel X8, Photoshop

Fab shop with South Bend Heavy 10, Bridgeport 9x42, 185a welder and a multitude of supporting tools/equipment

Here are some thoughts on things I wish were better or actually incorporated in my workspace. Mine is in my basement but think these are applicable to any work space.

Good ventilation. By this, I mean getting air in and out of the lasering space without affecting the office space. You want to minimize issues with both smell and the effect on office temperature, especially in the cold and very hot times of the year.

Insulation for both sound and keeping the room temperature nice. Maybe an exhaust muffler if you have neighbors nearby.

At least one wide door and wide doors in general to get machines and large sheets of material in and out.

Ability to separate or enclose really loud accessories if you have them - exhaust fan, chiller, etc.

Easy floor finish to simplify sweeping clean

Fatigue mats on the floor in front of the machine

Windows to keep your mood more positive when you are working long hours!
    700mm x 500mm Ke Hui KH-7050 Laser
    80W EFR F2
    S&A CW5000 chiller
    Chuck style of rotary attachment

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Fisher View Post
    Here are some thoughts on things I wish were better or actually incorporated in my workspace. Mine is in my basement but think these are applicable to any work space.

Good ventilation. By this, I mean getting air in and out of the lasering space without affecting the office space. You want to minimize issues with both smell and the effect on office temperature, especially in the cold and very hot times of the year.

Insulation for both sound and keeping the room temperature nice. Maybe an exhaust muffler if you have neighbors nearby.

At least one wide door and wide doors in general to get machines and large sheets of material in and out.

Ability to separate or enclose really loud accessories if you have them - exhaust fan, chiller, etc.

Easy floor finish to simplify sweeping clean

Fatigue mats on the floor in front of the machine

Windows to keep your mood more positive when you are working long hours!
    These are great tips Doug has given!

I'd add: a place to do dust free staining, painting, and finishing. Everyone is different, but we ended up doing a lot more of that than we originally anticipated and it's always a battle. Wish I would have planned space for that in the beginning.
    60W, Boss Laser 1630
    75W, Epilog Legend 24EX
    Jet Left Tilting table saw and Jet 18" Band saw
    Adobe Creative suite and Laserworks 8

What and how you plan your space is dependent upon the work that you plan to do. In my case, I found that rolling shelves are indispensable. My engraving room is rather small so the rolling stock lets me prep the work in other areas of the basement then roll it into the engraving room then back out for re-packaging.

My nearby competitor, who is also a friend, was visiting my shop last year and spotted my rolling shelves and went directly to his computer and ordered 5 of them for his much larger shop.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

My biggest problem has always been having enough flat shelving to store materials, especially leftovers too good to discard. Also, it’s nice to have a small “clean room” for painting and airbrushing. I have the laser positioned close to an outside wall so a short run for the vent, and selected the wall so that the fumes are not directed toward a neighbor. In 8 years none has ever complained of the smell, though some days like today I cut acrylic for about 8 hours.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Great tips everyone.

I had forgot about space for my spray booth. I also struggle with where to store scrap that I don't want to throw away.

What about HVAC? Are your areas climate controlled? I'm more worried about humidity than I am with temperature. My office is in the house, so humidity isn't an issue but in the shop, I'll have to figure something out.

Keep the tips coming.

Thanks
    Universal 60w VLS6.60 w/ rotary
    RayFine 30w MOPA
    Corel X8, Photoshop

Fab shop with South Bend Heavy 10, Bridgeport 9x42, 185a welder and a multitude of supporting tools/equipment

Blog Entries
    I have mine in my basement too, indoor outdoor carpet unfortunately. So I have to be careful with stain, Cermark. I conduct my business in house, ultimately want to convert first bedroom to office/meeting room. But I leave having my computer and desk 3ft from lasers. Storage so far isn't issue, and I have plenty for expansion. Will add shelves as needed.

Bathroom? How far to go? I'd want one close. Internet? Powerline
    adapters work better than wifi if you use power from home.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

What's this "space" you guys speak of??

workspace1.jpgworkspace4.jpgworkspace2.jpgworkspace3.jpgworkspace5.jpg

--after 42 years of ever increasing business and a never increasing workspace (until the garage shop which I've already outgrown)--
    I make no apologies (or suggestions!)

Last edited by Kev Williams; 12-24-2017 at 5:41 PM.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Man, I saw these and my first thought was: "Intervention"

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post

--after 42 years of ever increasing business and a never increasing workspace (until the garage shop which I've already outgrown)--

Epilog 40w Helix
    Hottronix MAXX 16x20
    WAYYYY Too much Siser HTM
    Tons of "will it laser?" scraps...

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post

The pictures of your basement gives me a great deal of anxiety.
    Jeff Body
    Go-C Graphics

China 50W Laser
    Model # SH-350
    Controller RDC6442
    Vinyl Plotter Graphtec CE600-60
    Software used
    Inkscape, FlexiStarter, VinylMaster 4, RDWorksV8

>>Are your areas climate controlled? I'm more worried about humidity than I am with temperature.<<

Yes, humidity is something you want to control, especially in regard to condensation that can form on your laser. I use a stand alone dehumidifier. Go ahead and buy a 70 pint unit. It is more efficient and thus will cost less over time which will more than pay for the initial upfront cost over a 50 pint unit. These can have problems out of the box that require a return so I advise to buy local versus having to pack and ship back to Amazon considering many local places will match Amazon prices. Home Depot and Best Buy had the units with the best price to performance ratio when I was looking a few months ago. Lowe's required a "ship to store" to get a decent one for a decent price.

My $.02 based on the need to do an emergency replacement not too long ago.
    700mm x 500mm Ke Hui KH-7050 Laser
    80W EFR F2
    S&A CW5000 chiller
    Chuck style of rotary attachment

A cat Bed next to my desk so my cat doesn't sit on the drawings PC over the warm exhaust fan, dribble and blow up the rather expensive video card !

dribble.jpg
    You did what !

Give careful consideration to lighting, both overhead and spot lighting. Maybe I bring this up because I really notice the need for more light as I get older?

Dave beat me to mentioning lighting. It's really important. I think your office is bigger than need be and that space could be better used for prep or storage.

My sink is a bucket of water. The plumbing is roughed in but right in the path of where I have to have space to move my laser in and out should the need arise.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

concur on the lighting! My operation fully engulfs our 1300 sqFt basement and as of 3 years ago our 20x24' garage. I just counted, I have 71 overhead florescent tubes in this place, and individual work lights for most of my machines. I recently moved my fiber into the garage, and the light I had over it on the table downstairs (a single 2' 'undercounter' fixture) I moved over my wash sink, can't believe the difference having some light there makes! But I just bought a 3-ton bench press to use as a stud inserter, it's mounted on the table where the fiber used to be, and now I need to get another light fixture to hang over it, even with all these lights that spot is too dark to work...

I said above 'I have no suggestions', but concerning lighting I do: White Walls and Ceilings. Wish I had them, if I did I could get by with 1/3 the lighting I'm using. Most of the basement ceiling is open floor joists, the interior walls are all dark paneling, most of the cement exterior walls my dad covered with pegboard and corkboard. . The garage was sheetrocked with 1960's yellow sheetrock which isn't great for reflecting light either.

If your new shop is paintable, get the brightest white paint you can find and repaint it. If not paintable, an option is 4x8' white styrofoam insulation boards, the 1/2" thick are around $8 each and not hard to put up. I've toyed with the idea of buying a bunch to line the walls and ceiling, but you've seen my walls & ceiling, working around 49 years worth of 'addtions' would be a total nightmare, for me, much easier to just add more lights
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle