Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Shop Layout

Thanks for the input about lighting. At the current time, the walls are just natural OSB but I will be painting them white before I move in. The floor is also OSB and I'm trying to decide what I should put down over it....any suggestions?

I just trenched in the power and water lines, from the house to the shop, on Saturday and boy o boy was that a job. I will have a 100 amp service down there, so I shouldn't have any issues with power.

Once I get the shop fully cleaned out, I'll start posting picture of my progress. Thanks to everyone for the helpful tips.
    Universal 60w VLS6.60 w/ rotary
    RayFine 30w MOPA
    Corel X8, Photoshop

Fab shop with South Bend Heavy 10, Bridgeport 9x42, 185a welder and a multitude of supporting tools/equipment

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Tull View Post
    The floor is also OSB and I'm trying to decide what I should put down over it....any suggestions.
    YES--
    https://www.harborfreight.com/anti-f...-pc-62389.html

^^^^ these floor mats from Harbor Freight- a pack is all of $9, there's 4 to a pack, each piece is 25 x 25", that's only half a buck a square foot!
    They puzzle-piece together, come with finishing edges, and they're wonderful to walk on! And not break coffee cups or customers wine glasses on! - my whole garage shop floor is covered with these, everyone who comes in notices and comments about the floor. All of my machine cables are run under them, have had no problems. If any get messed up, they're dirt cheap, just get another 4-pack!

I have 5 packs of them I just got the other day to put down in my 10x10' porta-shed-- when I find some time!

These are one of HF's best products for the price...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Kev, I will agree, those mats are some of HF's best items. I have those or some variant in front of each of my machines. I plan on having a work surface and all of my storage on casters, so I don't think I can cover the entire floor but the will be in front of the laser and counter space.

Would you suggest covering the OSB flooring with a more uniform surface? Maybe a sick down vinyl tile or something like that?
    RayFine 30w MOPA
    Corel X8, Photoshop

Fab shop with South Bend Heavy 10, Bridgeport 9x42, 185a welder and a multitude of supporting tools/equipment

I just switched my shop lights to 400k (daylight bright) LEDs. Not only did it cut my electricity costs, It's fantastic to be able see everything so well. Actually I switched my whole house. Even those noisy florescent lights. All replaced with LED equivalents.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

You have a sink? I'm jealous. I'm in a 100+ yr. old spice manufacturing warehouse with no sink. sure, theres a shared bathroom sink but I cant even fit my Brita pitcher under the spout. What I'd recommend is a big enough sink to fit your cutting table into. preferably with an overhead sprayer. In fact I'd settle for a lousy hose outside at this point.
    Trotec Speedy 360 80watt, Woodworking, screenprinting, paper marbling and an all around assortment of art supplies.
    I make art, my laser makes money. which i spend on art tools like lasers.
    MAKE it 'til you make it.

Trey, i have an 8’x15’ room dedicated to my laser in a 30’x40’ shop. The rest of the shop is for woodworking. The BEST thing that i did was to put my dust collector outside and ran a branch to my laser. Wish i would have donethat years ago.
    I was to the point of running out of space in my laser room so, last week, i built a cutting table and picking table in the shop area withshelves out in the shop. Ithas made it enjoyable again to be in there

I have a small mini split in my laser room. Keeps the climate perfect and hardly costs anything to run

You know, I feel better about my work space........
    GARY ROBERTS
    ShopBot Desk Top
    Full Spectrum 60 Watt Pro

Blog Entries
    Showed Kev's picture to my wife and her consternation was palatable. No way she said, no way...

She should see it in real life

There are some nice bennies- no commute, our cars always have low mileage, and the biggie: The ink just gets blacker and blacker
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

Quote Originally Posted by brian fithian View Post
    Trey, i have an 8’x15’ room dedicated to my laser in a 30’x40’ shop. The rest of the shop is for woodworking. The BEST thing that i did was to put my dust collector outside and ran a branch to my laser. Wish i would have donethat years ago.
    I was to the point of running out of space in my laser room so, last week, i built a cutting table and picking table in the shop area withshelves out in the shop. Ithas made it enjoyable again to be in there
    The dust collectors and air compressor will be outside.
    RayFine 30w MOPA
    Corel X8, Photoshop

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    She should see it in real life

There are some nice bennies- no commute, our cars always have low mileage, and the biggie: The ink just gets blacker and blacker
    OH, I'm home based too..... Right now in my 600sf partitioned section of my basement, got another area 400sf for storage if needed, and another 500 sf if really needed. And my shop could be storage to a degree...... Nope, she would MAKE me organize... Heck I just put down my house shoes an hour ago and she's put them in the closet....
    O
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

The goal is, to get so busy you have no time to organize
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

Blog Entries
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Tull View Post
    The dust collectors and air compressor will be outside.
    I have mine in another room. Makes a BIG difference.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC