Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: 20x28 workshop build

Electrical, ended up with 39 outlets Definite overkill but I don't think I'll ever have to modify it.

Minisplit and plumbing rough-in

Sprayfoam

I ended up with an 18k BTU mitsubishi for the minisplit, very much looking forward to that install as its forecast to be 105 the next five days.

Will have a full-time exhaust fan due to the sprayfoam, will hardwire it at first but it can have a lightswitch added later.

Just need drywall and minisplit installed and then I can start on the fun parts.

Wow...great update! That exterior really looks nice and absolutely "fits in" with the surrounding environment and home. Bravo!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Wow...great update! That exterior really looks nice and absolutely "fits in" with the surrounding environment and home. Bravo!
    Thanks Jim, matched the brick as well as possible with a 30 year old house. When the fence is eventually back up along with some shrubs noone will tell the difference.

Here is what I ended up with as a lighting plan, hopefully this makes sense.

• Six 8-foot, 4 bulb fixtures in the middle
    • Ten 4-foot, 2 bulb fixtures around the edge

My calculations and lighting tool have this coming out somewhere in the 75-90 lux range I think. Not possible to model my exact layout.

If for some reason I'm low on light I can upgrade to 4 bulb fixtures around the edge or where needed.

Are you going led or fluorescent. 11 years ago 1 put in 18 8' -2 bulb fixtures. I just finished changing out all to led 8' fixtures.
    What a difference. Not need task lighting now.

Quote Originally Posted by eugene thomas View Post
    Are you going led or fluorescent. 11 years ago 1 put in 18 8' -2 bulb fixtures. I just finished changing out all to led 8' fixtures.
    What a difference. Not need task lighting now.
    I'm leaning toward High CRI fluorescents at ~3500K. I have not found an LED version that I think I'd be satisfied with.

Tom, for my shop I used T5HO fixtures with 5000K bulbs which were rated at CRI of at least 85. They also give off about 4500 lumens and are rated up to 60,000 hrs. With vapor proof housings they are immune to sawdust and the errant high swing board. Check these. They are comfortable on the eyes and the fixtures are made in USA.
    Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Crawford View Post
    I'm leaning toward High CRI fluorescents at ~3500K. I have not found an LED version that I think I'd be satisfied with.
    Tom, I went retrofit LED bulbs from Hyperikon that are sold on amazon in my 3 car garage shop with 10’ ceilings. They sell them in 4, 12 and 24 packs. 5000k temp and 90+ CRI. They fit in T8 and T12 fixtures and are like $10.50 a bulb in the larger packs. If I remember correctly these need the ballast removed in order to work but they have ones that work with the ballast but are only like 80CRI. Removing the ballast took me like 3-5 mins per fixture. They don’t have high CRI in 8’ bulbs but you could always go two sets of 4’ fixtures to make up for it. So far I am like 18 months in and have not had one failure and I love the temp and CRI on them. I saw a recommendation in thread for T5HO and would recommend against those with your 10’ ceilings. They are going to be so bright it will hurt you eyes without a strong diffuser on it. T5HO are great for high ceilings but I personally don’t like them in lower ones like 10’. Good luck.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01H4KU8FU...ing=UTF8&psc=1

FWIW, I have 10' ceilings in my shop with 5000K T5HO bulbs without excessive glare. The lenses on the vapor proof housings seem to an excellent job with diffusing the light. The LED retrofit bulbs also are only about half the lumens of the T5HO.
    Ed

13. it looks like you have done a fine job building this shop. why would you not want to complete it with a wood floor? lay down some delta fl vapor barrier, then cover it with 1-1/4 advantec subflooring the nail then hardwood into the advantec. the whole floor floats atop the concrete.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Barker View Post
    it looks like you have done a fine job building this shop. why would you not want to complete it with a wood floor? lay down some delta fl vapor barrier, then cover it with 1-1/4 advantec subflooring the nail then hardwood into the advantec. the whole floor floats atop the concrete.
    I'd love to do this, unfortunately already over budget. Leaving concrete and will find some anti-fatigue mats.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Fairbanks View Post
    Tom, I went retrofit LED bulbs from Hyperikon that are sold on amazon in my 3 car garage shop with 10’ ceilings. They sell them in 4, 12 and 24 packs. 5000k temp and 90+ CRI. They fit in T8 and T12 fixtures and are like $10.50 a bulb in the larger packs. If I remember correctly these need the ballast removed in order to work but they have ones that work with the ballast but are only like 80CRI. Removing the ballast took me like 3-5 mins per fixture. They don’t have high CRI in 8’ bulbs but you could always go two sets of 4’ fixtures to make up for it. So far I am like 18 months in and have not had one failure and I love the temp and CRI on them. I saw a recommendation in thread for T5HO and would recommend against those with your 10’ ceilings. They are going to be so bright it will hurt you eyes without a strong diffuser on it. T5HO are great for high ceilings but I personally don’t like them in lower ones like 10’. Good luck.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01H4KU8FU...ing=UTF8&psc=1
    I've had my eye on these for a while. Are you happy with the 5000K? I've been thinking I would like between 3500 and 4000.