Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: 20x28 workshop build

Gorgeous! !!!!!!!!!!!!!! There are the extra 10+ characters required

This is as clean as it will ever be:

Moved a few things in:

Could use some ideas for dust collection ductwork - was going to go with this but now having second thoughts. I think it is going to kill too much wall space especially on the wall where the DC is. I would really like the DC in the exact opposite corner and send the ductwork up to the ceiling. Now that I have the lighting in I'm realizing there is no drawback to having it on the ceiling since the LED lights don't hit the ceiling at all.

This would be the other option for placement. The intake of the collector is the on the wrong side (away from the wall) in this case, but I think I could make it work. I'm thinking I am going to want the wall without windows more freed up.

I would hope you would be able to position the intake and filter aspects of your cyclone independently...I can, and did with my Oneida unit. I "kinda" like the second position you show better, but would want that filter parallel with the window wall rather than butting into the corner like that. But that's a subjective thing. You're going to want to consider some sound baffling, too, as that DC is going to "light up" your very open shop with major sound that's going to bounce around all those hard surfaces.

That all said...what a nice space!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Can you make a platform to lift the entire collector to the ceiling? It would let you have storage under it and possibly the dust pipe run straight into the Cyclone. Downside would be lowering the bin to the floor but an inexpensive electric winch mounted to the ceiling would make that easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Christensen View Post
    Can you make a platform to lift the entire collector to the ceiling? It would let you have storage under it and possibly the dust pipe run straight into the Cyclone. Downside would be lowering the bin to the floor but an inexpensive electric winch mounted to the ceiling would make that easy.
    I'm getting the Oneida V-3000 and it can be wall-mounted. If I do that I think the intake is about 22 inches from the ceiling due to muffler height plus 3" of clearance.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I would hope you would be able to position the intake and filter aspects of your cyclone independently...I can, and did with my Oneida unit. I "kinda" like the second position you show better, but would want that filter parallel with the window wall rather than butting into the corner like that. But that's a subjective thing. You're going to want to consider some sound baffling, too, as that DC is going to "light up" your very open shop with major sound that's going to bounce around all those hard surfaces.

That all said...what a nice space!
    These are the options, I agree with getting it rotated. I'm thinking some kind of closet around it, but depends on if I have enough space to the window.

Ok...your SketchUp drawing is showing a Grizzly cyclone so I was...um...confused. LOL Anything you can do to isolate really noisy things like a DC and compressor will make your space more enjoyable over time.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

9 boxes of dust collector paraphernalia:

Decided to stay with DC location #1 from above. It will wrap around the wall a bit and I'm going to add another branch across the center of the ceiling that will get me to the other side of the shop. I think my layout is starting to come together.

Build process was pretty simple, took me about 3.5 hours with distractions of the Rams/Saints game.

I put the wall bracket about 14" higher than the minimum:

Lots of gaskets and bolts:

coming together:

Yes, I climbed an 8 foot ladder with a 75 lb motor resting on my shoulder. Not too dicey.

Last edited by Thomas Crawford; 11-05-2018 at 11:48 AM.

Finished product. Tested by putting a piece of plywood over most of the inlet (per Oneida's recommendation). Powered up smoothly and ran it for about a minute.

Orienting the filter at 90 degrees would have overlapped the window. In the current config with it parallel to the inlet I actually have plenty of room to build a closet around it. Definitely in my long-term plans although I will lose both those sets of outlets.

Now to get the pipe ordered and installed...