Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: 20x28 workshop build

Looks very nice. Nice choice on the 10' walls and open ceiling inside.

Painfully waiting for the windows and doors to show up. My contractor was told 2-3 weeks to his face and its been 4 weeks and counting. The door will be here 5/7. No date on the windows.

Starting electrical work this week.

Congrats, you have reached a milestone!

I guess I just needed to complain here - windows arrive Monday

moving along, they spent a lot of time on my house lately too:

Electrical is starting. Running 1/0-1/0-1/0-#2 wire through 1 1/2" conduit was a bad idea. Its technically below the fill capacity but it was much more difficult than if I had just used 2" or 2 1/2" conduit. The 1 1/2 was fine in and out of the building but should have transitioned it to the larger diameter. Regardless I got it though with one pull box in the middle. At the very end I actually had to cut the conduit and sleeve it over the cable to get around 45 degree bend. I have no idea why that particular 45 was such a pain, I was below 360 degrees of bend on each side of the box.

Panel is installed, 90 amps of goodness flowing from my main panel. Neutral and GND separate in the shop with some ground rods at the shop.

Brick showed up today. Roofing went on last Saturday.

Doing all the electrical myself was a longer job than I anticipated. Probably have 50 hours at least into it. But I've learned some things and made some positive adjustments in my plan along the way.

Will post detailed pics of the electrical, as well as lessons learned, tool recommendations, etc.

Hoping the mason starts brick next week, then sprayfoam, drywall, mini-split, and done.

Going with an 18,000 btu Mitsubishi unit. After working in the shop doing the electrical in 100 degree weather the past few weeks I can't wait.

Decided on the Oneida V-3000 for dust collection. Super helpful interactions with their sales team helped me finalize the placement and most of a ductwork plan.

Looking way cool. Don't plan a "final" plan of your DC system. The 2nd time I installed mine came out a huge improvement over the first. Every time I get a new piece of equipment causes a remodeling of the piping system.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrew View Post
    Looking way cool. Don't plan a "final" plan of your DC system. The 2nd time I installed mine came out a huge improvement over the first. Every time I get a new piece of equipment causes a remodeling of the piping system.
    That's what I arrived at. I was close to thinking I would purchase what I want for my final shop config with machines I don't even own yet. Realized its probably much better to just piecemeal it. The location of the dust collector and the tablesaw are the only definites at this point.

Think I am about done with re-doing my system, no more room in shop for more equipment. Concentrating on my sawmill and lumber drying setup now.

OMG! Is 24' x 32' a "small shop" for an amateur woodworker? Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by Osvaldo Cristo View Post
    OMG! Is 24' x 32' a "small shop" for an amateur woodworker? Wow!
    "Small" is relative, my friend. My shop is similar to that size (21x30) and honestly, it's cramped given the tool choices I've been fortunate to be able to make over the years, but I've adapted as need be and continue to do so all the time to improve things. 24x32 is just a little more than a typical two-car garage in current times here in the US from a size perspective. But a large number of folks certainly have much smaller shops and use them to the max! Some are even lucky to have more space...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Paint:

Brick work, and the roof went on:

Outside complete: