Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: 20x28 workshop build

I'm going with a Square-D 200A 40 slot/40 circuit QO panel. This pretty much fills it up and with spray foam insulation I'm hoping that there aren't ever any changes necessary except in the ceiling which will be open enough to re-order the lights.

This feels excessive, and likely running several hundred dollars extra to have dual 120 circuits on each wall. I'd like feedback on whether this is complete overkill. I guess the answer to that is obviously yes, but is it good overkill?

Blog Entries
    Will you have attic access? I ran all my wiring in the walls & through the attic to a big junction box in the attic, above the panel. Then several 3/4" EMT conduits straight down through the ceiling & into the surface mount panel. I can run additional wiring through the attic for anything on the ceiling or surface conduit on the walls. No matter how carefully you plan, there will be changes down the road.

Oh, and it warms my heart to see you referring to voltages as 120V or 240V

Thomas, just a note about the MiniSplit power...it will need to land on the outside of the building as the disconnect goes near the outside unit. The inside unit is fed from the outside unit. Generally, that will also require a 240v GFCI breaker and many folks also install a surge suppressor at the disconnect or at the panel. Be sure you have the full specs for the unit you intend to have installed so that the electrical is done correctly for it.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    Will you have attic access? I ran all my wiring in the walls & through the attic to a big junction box in the attic, above the panel. Then several 3/4" EMT conduits straight down through the ceiling & into the surface mount panel. I can run additional wiring through the attic for anything on the ceiling or surface conduit on the walls. No matter how carefully you plan, there will be changes down the road.

Oh, and it warms my heart to see you referring to voltages as 120V or 240V
    I'm going to vault the ceiling up to 12ft, so if I preemptively put some capped off boxes near the intersection of the wall that's probably my best bet. I'm a decent conduit bender, did my whole garage that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Thomas, just a note about the MiniSplit power...it will need to land on the outside of the building as the disconnect goes near the outside unit. The inside unit is fed from the outside unit. Generally, that will also require a 240v GFCI breaker and many folks also install a surge suppressor at the disconnect or at the panel. Be sure you have the full specs for the unit you intend to have installed so that the electrical is done correctly for it.
    Thanks, that's really helpful info - I need to pick out a unit.

Watch Tim's Mini-Split installation video he recently posted here in Workshops. Even if you are not going to participate in the installation, it's instructive as to what goes into installing one.
    --

One thing that jumps out at me is that you only have one outlet greater than 20A. I would consider changing some of those to 30A circuits. Even if you don't think you will need them now it's cheaper to install them at the beginning. Or at least run 8 awg wire on some of your 20A circuits so you can easily change breakers/receps later.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Bull View Post
    Or at least run 8 awg wire on some of your 20A circuits so you can easily change breakers/receps later.
    He seems to be using 10 gage for his 20 amp 240v circuits which generally means he can re-terminate later for 30 amp and just change the breaker.
    --

I can't imagine how 8 AWG would ever be necessary in a hobby shop like that one.

Jim and Art, my mistake on the wire size. I use an 8 AWG extension cord for some 30A circuits here and I mistakenly suggested an oversize wire. You are correct that all he needs for 30A is 10 gauge.

Correct, my plan is to run 10awg for all the 240 and ceiling outlets so they can bump up to 30 amp if needed.

I have one 6awg plug for a welder that I may or may not ever get.

Question on the electrical — are you setting up your shop as a sub-panel from the main panel in the house, or is it a separate service drop with it’s own meter?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bain View Post
    Question on the electrical — are you setting up your shop as a sub-panel from the main panel in the house, or is it a separate service drop with it’s own meter?
    Sub-panel from the main in the house. I'm slightly concerned I'm going to have to upgrade my house service although theoretically it should be OK.

Finally starting framing today:

The 10' walls seem crazy tall compared to my garage