Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Table Saw Dust Collection

Table Saw Dust Collection

I recently got a new Grizzly cabinet saw. The dust collection port (4") has a small diameter tube going up to a "funnel" underneath the blade, with the remaining area of the opening for collecting dust from the cabinet. I think it's a very poor design as it's effectiveness is minimal. Has anyone with this type of port made modifications to accommodate a 6" duct. If so, how did you modify it? Thanks.

Blog Entries
    This is pretty typical for tablesaws with blade shrouds. Saw Stop uses the same design although, like you I am going to cut it to a 6" the next time I get time. In the mean time the collection is "good" with my little 2HP cyclone, just not "great". How much DC do you have behind it? Also, take care on your expectations for DC. Even so called "dustless" shops are still pretty dusty to some folks.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Glenn:
    My DC is a 3hp cyclone for which I'm just completing the installation. In the mean time, I've been using a 2hp non-cyclone run directly to the saw (no branch ducts). Based upon the effectiveness of the direct connect 2hp, I'm not optimistic that the cyclone will do better given the fact that it's a longer distance with turns along the ducting to the cyclone.

Blog Entries
    I would say you are correct. A 2hp bagger probably moves more air than a 3hp cyclone. The separator function really puts a hit on your air flow. The dramatic increase in performance by folks who have changed from 4” to 6” ports gives me a good feeling about heading that way.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Bear in mind that the airflow is restricted by what can go by the blade. If you have a ZCI or it is entirely covered by the wood you are cutting, it is pretty close to zero. You can open the port up to 10" and it won't much matter. Overhead collection is much more important.

If there is an access door or the motor cover that can be opened a little it will allow more air into the cabinet to flow out carrying the dust with it. Try cracking them a little at a time and see if it improves things.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Christensen View Post
    If there is an access door or the motor cover that can be opened a little it will allow more air into the cabinet to flow out carrying the dust with it. Try cracking them a little at a time and see if it improves things.
    That just draws air from the access door to the port. Doesn't do much for the dust being cut.

With my cyclone system, I use 6” ducts. For my jointer and table saw, I made 6” ports. It makes a difference. Because of my sensitivity, I usually wear a dust mask. I also turn on 2 window exhaust fans after I leave the shop. Did I say I also vacuum before I leave the shop?

Ed:
    Did you somehow cut away the cabinet of your table saw where the 4" port is to enlarge it to 6"? If so, how did you do it?

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    That just draws air from the access door to the port. Doesn't do much for the dust being cut.
    It certainly won't harm it, that's for sure.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weingarden View Post
    Ed:
    Did you somehow cut away the cabinet of your table saw where the 4" port is to enlarge it to 6"? If so, how did you do it?
    Make or buy the adapter for the 6" hose, mark the panel out using that and most jigsaws using the correct blade will cut the excess out. The biggest issue then becomes making sure that the cabinet has enough air inlets not to starve the dust extractor, this will depend on the capacity of the DE.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Once the extra airflow in is determined by the open door area, holes (especially with bell mouth openings) can be added around the top of the cabinet to carry the dust down towards the 6” DC port.

I run a 4" Overhead and a 6" cabinet port with my sawstop but that's with a 5hp DC. Took the constricted blade shroud off and with 6" into the cabinet you still need a place for the air to flow from so I modified the side door where you can access the motor to allow more air in. You can have the biggest ports on your machines but if there isn't anywhere for the air to flow from and through to pick up the particles on the way through it's no good.

I cut an opening a with a hack saw and screwed on a 1/2” pice of ply that I cut a perfectly symmetrical circle that I screwed the connector to. I’ll try and send some pics.

Having trouble posting pics. Send me your email and I will send you the pics.