Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Had to say goodbye to my best buddy.

Matt,
    Your post resonated so deeply with me that I had to log off for 20 minutes while crying. I have been where you are (adopted dogs, cancer in dogs and wife, loss of companions-wife-friends) and have no words that will help or inspire. It is a process and it hurts. My family's thoughts will be with you.
    Bless you sir.

So sorry. I've read all replies and can't add anything beyond being grateful for the good people here.

Major gut buster. Man o man can I feel your pain. There is about nothing worse than having to put down a lucid animal. Put me outta commission for weeks and Ive never been able to pull the plug on another. I feel for you. Brings tears to my eyes just thinking of someone I dont even know having to go through it.

I'm very sorry for your losses. Hopefully a day will come when you are ready for a new little buddy. There are many animals out there that need someone like you.

Thanks for all of the kind words!

Matt, a great thing about this community is being able to share a story like this. There is always someone awake somewhere in the world.

Life will go on, but not in the same way. No-one can take the memories from you. The memories may make you sad, but that is not necessarily a bad thing. RIP
    Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.

I'm sorry Matt.
    Fred

Matt,

I am sorry for your loss of Wilson and the loss of your wife! It sounds like Wilson bonded with you and sensed when you needed a close companion to lean on. Wilson was definitely a loved member of your family.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

My heartfelt condolences, sir.
    Perhaps of little aid, but I can't help but think of Winnie the Pooh in times such as these.

"How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard."

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Johnson View Post
    My heartfelt condolences, sir.
    Perhaps of little aid, but I can't help but think of Winnie the Pooh in times such as these.

"How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard."
    Truth!

I do do consider myself a lucky man to have had the time with my wife, and with Wilson. Bearing the grief is a heavy load, but so worth it for having the time with them.

11. We were going to put our Zoe down and she died just days before. Found her out in the yard faithfully looking in the direction she would first see me when I came home. We never got to say goodbye to her and I am close to tears writing this now. I bawled when I found her and went through the burial of her alone.
    What my wife and I still do is say her name outloud like we did when she was here, as if she were still here. Sounds quirky but it helps. She has been gone since Sept 26th. Just looked over some family pics last night, many with her in them and got through them without shedding a tear.
    Wilson looks like he was a super faithful companion. Talk to him, get out of the house, keep going is all I can say.
    Mike Scott

Blog Entries
    Matt,

I'm very sorry to hear of the loss of Wilson. He sounds like he was a wonderful dog. Thanks for including a picture of him. He's very handsome.

I know it's a very difficult time and it hurts very much. We've been there twice.

I hope after the right amount of time you allow another dog into your life. It's very helpful, both for the dog and the family.

PHM

God Bless .... a time to mourn and a time to find another pup to share your life.

My dad went thru a similar situation and did not want another dog. We took him to a shelter and found a dog who had lost its master and a match was made

Sorry for your loss. Its never easy to lose a pet.
    Lori K

So sorry for your loss. It took me some time to respond; my shopmate of almost 15 years passed away two weeks ago.
    A friend sent a card that said, "dog... such a small word for something that is such a big part of our lives."
    That is exactly the way it is.

May the love you have for Wilson carry you through this difficult time.
    Comments made here are my own and, according to my children, do not reflect the opinions of any other person... anywhere, anytime.