Thread: Gluing up redwood for exterior table

Gluing up redwood for exterior table

Hello all I'm a newbie and have enjoyed reading the posts Now I have a question if you could help me on because I've heard conflicting answers. I have some beautiful redwood 1x12 s4s that my father had when I was a kid so it's close to 60 years old . Some white sap but most is heart wood I understand that redwood is one of the most stable woods and I'd like to make 2 picnic tables one 6 ft long and the other 4 ft round. The longer table I was thinking of having a 6 in wide frame similar to a door with rail, stiles and a center and in between 1x3. Question: is using 1x6 too thin and can I glue up the frame and just screw the field boards and space them quarter inch apart. Also another idea that I would like is a solid glue up with biscuits &/or pocket screws I hope you can understand my blabbering any help would be appreciated.. Ps it'll be outside Arkansas weather
    Thanks again

Blog Entries
    If you use screws, be sure that they are stainless or you will get iron staining.

1 x 6 is a little thin for a 6 foot span without have ribs under the span to help with stiffness.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Thank you for the response I was planning to use cleats underneath . What I am concerned about is if I glueed up all or part of table will the redwood move to such a degree that I'll have cracking warping etc or is the redwood stable enough so it will not have such movement common in other woods.? Personally I would like to have a solid glue up because I don't like the gaps in the table. If I do a solid glue up and i attach the top to a metal base with screws would that be sufficient for any movement to prevent any warping? Thanks again and I hope I clarified things a bit

Blog Entries
    My only experience with redwood was 55 years ago. I made a cutting board for my mother in school shop class out of redwood. It was made of 2-3 boards edge glued together. It is still in one piece despite being washed off from time to time. I can't speak on how it might react out doors.

I made a lawn swing out of western red cedar, that stays outside all summer in NW PA for over 20 years. The seat supports were glued together using a two part Elmer's water proof glue which was a resorcinol glue. I don't believe Elmer's makes it any more, but google indicates it is used in boat building for structural purposes.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I would not glue it . Even if you joint and glue it perfectly the thing might get cracks and separate making the top once again in pieces ...of a different width and with unsightly splintery edges. If you do glue it ,use epoxy. The tannin in redwood can make PVA glues take a long time to set.
    Last edited by Mel Fulks; 12-21-2017 at 2:55 PM.

The terms, "glue" and, "outdoor use" seem incongruous to me. I know there are glues that claim to be moisture resistant but, if you want to use this table for a fair amount of time, I would use stainless fasteners. For an outdoor table, I would forget about the idea of a frame, not glue the boards together, leave gaps between them for the water to fall through and set it on stone blocks. The above assumes you will not be leaving the table under a good, weatherproof shelter with a solid patio.

[QUOTE=Yonak Hawkins;2757128]The terms, "glue" and, "outdoor use" seem incongruous to me. I know there are glues that claim to be moisture resistant but, if you want to use this table for a fair amount of time, I would use stainless fasteners. For an outdoor table, I would forget about the idea of a frame, not glue the boards together, leave gaps between them for the water to fall through and set it on stone blocks. The above assumes you will not be leaving the table under a good, weatherproof shelter with a solid patio.[/eQUOTE]

Hello. I don't know . regarding the comment " put on concrete blocks" was meant to be sarcastic or not but that is the way I took it.. When i mentioned mounting on a metal base i was referring to a decorative leg design that I am going to weld and powdered coated. That way I don't have worry about the legs rotting and it'll give it a modern look . I appreciate any advice about the affect gluing up redwood would have and if it is a wood that is stable enough that it wouldn't have movement like many other wood has. Thanks

Blog Entries
    I think he meant set it on a stone landing. Maybe he means water will drain in stones vs pooling up on a concrete landing.

Ok that makes sense. Sort if I took it wrong

Terry, sorry, I missed the part about the metal base. ..So, the redwood will be used for the top only. I was meaning, like, pavers, not cinder blocks, so wooden legs wouldn't be setting on the ground but, of course, the metal base negates the need for a paver. ..Sorry for misunderstanding.

You are asking for trouble if you make an outside table as a big uninterrupted slab like an indoor table. Precipitation will likely make pools of water on the surface. Pooling water will damage the wood and the finish and the glue joints faster than water which hits and runs off. You'll do better by spacing the planks a little bit apart, so water falls through.