Thread: Truck ID

Truck ID

Dad's truck.jpg

Here is a photo of the first truck my father bought in about 1950 (with Mum, who is still going at 97 and my sisters). This is the only photo the family has of it. I have had conflicting opinions as to the marque. However, these opinions agree as to it being from the USA and from the late 1920's. Anyone like to offer some input as to what it is? Dad and Mum rode Harleys back in the 1930's-40's. When my sister was born, she was wedged between them on the bike. When sister #2 came along, they bought a sidecar. When my brother was on the way, Dad sold the bike and bought this truck. No helmets or anything back then. Cheers
    Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.

Ford. Model A?

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Lomman View Post

However, these opinions agree as to it being from the USA
    The drivers seat appears to be on the right (and Mom's coat buttons appropriately on her left), so my guess is a Ford Model A made in one of Ford's overseas plants.

Edit: See the picture of the 1929 Model AA heavy-duty truck in the Wikipedia article https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_M...%E2%80%9331%29
    Last edited by Stephen Tashiro; 12-21-2017 at 1:00 AM.

Hi Wayne,
    Based on the cast metal 6-spoke clincher wheels, flat firewall and moulded strip running atop the hood hinge to the firewall, it appears to be a 1927-1929 or so Dodge Brothers truck. I'd say it was a commercial model because it appears to have been shipped without the cab and everything behind (to the left of) the firewall was made locally with sheet metal (no moulding strip on the door, walls and roof are just flat metal). It could possibly be a Graham Brothers truck, as they used the same chassis and wheels, but most of those seen don't have the moulding on the hood or firewall. There is even a blurry 1928 picture of trucks collecting the Sydney Morning Herald with one that appears to be very similar to yours (I saw it on a Google search, but can't find it again).
    I don't own one, but I love old trucks - here are some examples that bear similarity to yours
    I think you can easily deduce it from here,
    Karl:
    Max.jpg
    1928 Dodge Brothers
    1928-graham-brothers-work-truck-.jpg
    1928 Graham
    1929 dodge bros.jpg\
    1929 Dodge Bros

Wayne Lomman,

The bodies on trucks- except Fords, of this period seem to have been made by many makers - they're all a little different, so they're no help in identification.

It's not a Ford AA because of the wheels and the AA had a beltine molding that curved up over the cowl under the windshield. Based on the fender line, beltline molding, and especially the distinctive 6-spoke wheels, my guess is that it may be a Graham Brothers, possibly a 1929 612:

Compare the wheels and the forms of the front fender, hold, cowl and the straight beltline. The body on the one in the photos above must've been the standard one with the double beltline and the one in your photo was probably built by a regional or local maker.

I always think of cars as central to family history, and often ask friends what cars they grew up with and their first cars. And they sure set the mood in old family photos.

Alan Caro
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Alan Caro; 12-21-2017 at 9:32 AM. Reason: dyslexia

Karl and Alan, I initially thought it was a Chevrolet because of the wheels but I wasn't entirely convinced. I then contacted the Australian Motor Museum In Birdwood, South Australia and sent them the photo. Their opinion is that it is a Graham Brothers. Its good to get confirmation from closer to the source. I had not heard of Graham Brothers before this.

I was born too late to ever see this truck. Dad sold it and bought a newer for that had a side valve V8. My older brother can remember Dad loving the power of the V8. He sold that one and bought a bigger 1948 Chev. This one I do remember. Dad carted firewood to the brick kilns in Adelaide as well as apples and cauliflowers to market. My brother and I have tried to track down one or other of the old trucks but without success.

Alan, I agree that cars and family history are inextricably intertwined. For the last week or so, we have been entertaining ourselves (while doing the milking) trying to remember when we bought Delgeny Osiris, our 30 year old Appaloosa. We finally narrowed it down to around 2000 by working out which car was towing the horse float when we bought her. Yesterday my daughter was going through the office and found the our horse archives. She looked up the records and sure enough, 2000 was right! the memories of our cars was spot on. Cheers
    Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.