Thread: SCMI F410Nova vs an Older MiniMax Formula F-1

SCMI F410Nova vs an Older MiniMax Formula F-1

Hi all, I have been on the forum for a bit but this may be my first post. I am looking at buying a used Minimax Formula F-1 jointer. The machine is local and in excellent condition. I know this machine is almost identical to the F410 nova. I also know Minimax dropped it a few years ago because it was so close to the F410N that it was redundant. However, I am wondering what might be the differences. Both machines have a 5hp 3 phase motor. Both are 16" with terse 4 knife cutterhead. The price is on par with what used SCM F410N are going for (about 5k so I am wondering if I should hold out for a SCMI or buy the Formula? Is it an identical machine to the F410? Are there major differences (thickness of the carriage for example) that would account for it being a Minimax not an SCMI? I appreciate any insight you all might have. Cheers,
    Abe

SCM is literally "in process" of rebranding/re-stickering pretty much all of the woodworking machines to "SCM/Minimax", so I wouldn't worry about the name. I doubt there is much difference, if any, between them, but Sam Blasco, the US rep for SCM/Minimax could likely tell you the answer to your question.

Sam Blasco
    sam.blasco@scmgroup.com
    512-931-1962
    512-796-3036 (mobile)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Check the steel in the base. The older machines had 6mm steel. I don't know what the new ones use but my experience with all companies is that each model revision lightens the build. The cast iron quality, thickness and webbing will not be better with new. I would not be afraid and probably prefer and older model if the tables are flat and have no wear. I am not aware of any mechanical advancements in jointer construction since the advent of ball bearings. Tersa is a nice addition to have. Dave

Thanks Guys, I think I will move forward with it. Cheers,
    Abe