Thread: Woods for Carving?

Woods for Carving?

Other than basswood and butternut, are there other species of wood generally available in Western North Carolina suitable for relief carving?

I'm new to relief carving. I've been experimenting with poplar and walnut because I happen to have some but neither of these seem great.

Are there other wood species that are similar and perhaps more generally available in my area (Western NC)?

I'd also like to try both basswood and butternut and would appreciate advise on good, reliable mail order sources.

Thanks.

Scott C.
    Saluda, NC

It depends on what you are carving. Relief carving is not my specialty but seeing as how common it is in furniture making and gun stocks I would think that Walnut would be great for this type of carving. I wish I had a better source of it myself. Cherry is a good wood to carve. That being very hard woods are clearly more difficult.

In terms of getting basswood I understand that Heinecke wood products is one of the best. I have not used them yet and have sourced most of mine either from local sources of from the woodcraft store, but have been looking at putting together an order as my supply is getting low.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Cardais View Post
    Other than basswood and butternut, are there other species of wood generally available in Western North Carolina suitable for relief carving?
    I'm new to relief carving. I've been experimenting with poplar and walnut because I happen to have some but neither of these seem great.
    Are there other wood species that are similar and perhaps more generally available in my area (Western NC)?
    I'd also like to try both basswood and butternut and would appreciate advise on good, reliable mail order sources.
    Another soft wood sometimes used is buckeye. However, much might depend on how you are carving, by hand or by power tools. I've used rotary and reciprocal carvers on even fairly hard woods like Cocobolo and I didn't find it difficult.

Another good wood with fine grain that will take fine detail is Holly. If you cut a holly tree, cut it in the winter to avoid the grey/green stain. I got some 18" diameter log sections once.

I've also carved Bradford Pear - it is pretty hard compared to the typical carving woods but other than finding enough time I didn't have any problems using a mix of power and hand tools:

carved_bowl_IMG_4195.jpg

As for Basswood: I took up chip carving and was told to be careful to get Northern Basswood instead of what grows in the south. Evidently the slower growth produces finer grain. The worst place is one of the carving shops such as the one in Townsend TN across the mountain from you.

I ordered northern basswood from Heinecke Wood Products - wonderful company, prices, and service! http://www.heineckewood.com/

I bought 4' lengths 10-12" wide and 2-4" thick. They the boards in corrugated cardboard and sent it UPS! The shipping cost was less than I had imagined and it arrived quickly. I was extremely pleased with the quality. I ordered it so I could chip carve on wood turnings but have also done some flat. (Sorry, to relief carving.) Just for fun, here are some pictures:

BOC_A_comp.jpg BOC_C_Jack_01_IMG_6687.jpg chip_mess.jpg

chip_carved_goblet_c.jpg practice_comp.jpg chip_carved_ornaments3.jpg

(I've posted all these on SMC before - sorry, I'm addicted to photos!)

JKJ

I have old-growth sugar pine in very wide slabs; 8%mc, beautiful BoxWood 7% MC, large slabs of paulownia....depends on what you are trying to carve. Walnut, mahogany, sugar pine would be my favorites for larger items bas-relief

Thank you for the replies.

Scott C.

There is also cotton wood bark, and cypress knees. These woods are good for spirit images. I also enjoy doing relief carvings, I guess because I like to paint them. I have taken classes from woodcarving pros, down in the Branson, MO area. There may be active wood carving clubs in your part of the country, there is in mine. Here is one of many I have done. Board is 1" basswood approx. 12" x 18". Painted with acrylics, sometimes I use watercolors.
    CoveredBridgeRelief.jpg