Thread: Grizzly G0453W chip collection

Grizzly G0453W chip collection

Our new Grizzly 0453W seems to spit more than its share of chips onto the steel table. Maybe 90% are sucked up by the dust collector. I verified the setting for the chip breaker, I made sure that the dust chute is clear and that the dust collector was operating at peak efficiency. How's your 0453W working? Is this a common problem or do I need to keep searching for some issue I'm not aware of?

Thanks!
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Jim Mackell
    Arundel, ME

If you open the top of the planer, like you were going to change blades, There is a piece of foam that prevents some of the chips from getting sucked up. Remove the piece of foam and throw it away. I am not sure what purpose that thought it served. I think it is part #18"upper cover gasket" but I am not 100% sure. Mine was pretty big for a gasket.

Thanks Cary. I had the top off and I was debating about stripping the foam out. I'll give that a shot tomorrow.
    Jim Mackell
    Arundel, ME

Blog Entries
    Yep, I pulled mine. Works great.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I have the spiral head, but the DC is nearly perfect.
    I'd call Grizzly before discarding parts.

Mine is spiral also. Chips would fall back on the wood. I have been running my planer like this for 5 years without issue. An internet search shows many people have done it. This is a simple machine. A missing piece of foam is not going to hurt it.

You may as well pull the gearbox and make a gasket out of RTV. It will leak sooner or later.

I've got that planer. It does a very nice job, even with the stock straight knives. Little snipe and a good finish.

It does put out a lot of chips --especially on wide boards, and if you don't have good suction on your dust collection, it will start throwing them back out the front. If the suction is too low, the chips won't get pulled out, and they will jam the cutter head, which is a total pain to clean out. You do have to use dust collection on it also, as the head needs it to clear the chips. My 3 hp Oneida cyclone keeps up easily, but my previous 1 hp Jet canister had trouble, especially with 12" wide white pine with its resinous chips. Before I got the cylcone, when I had to plane lots of wide stuff, I would actually take off the dust collection cowl and let the chips land on the floor. That probably violated the warranty or something like that though.

I have this exact same problem. Because of other "not so important" tasks, I have not had time to work on it.

Jim, any luck yet?

Blog Entries
    I'd like to hear Jim's result as well. The G0453 and G0490 style machines are prevalent enough that I had read about the subtle "fixes" before buying mine. I applied all the generally accepted "fixes" during assembly so, I don't actually know if they really "fixed" anything. However, I have never had the problems these tweaks were supposed to take care of so, I will acknowledge the wisdom of the collective on these. Thanks all you 'old-timers'.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Bump. Jim, any fix yet?

My apologies to all! We've been traveling over the holidays and I won't be back at the shop until the 3rd or 4th. I promise to post an update then.
    Jim Mackell
    Arundel, ME

Well, Cary Falk nailed it! Removed the foam strip and chip collection is 100% better. I would guess it's there to quiet the machine a little, but there's no noticeable difference without it. Thanks to all for your ideas.
    Jim Mackell
    Arundel, ME

Blog Entries
    And the forum scores again!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Mackell View Post
    Well, Cary Falk nailed it! Removed the foam strip and chip collection is 100% better. I would guess it's there to quiet the machine a little, but there's no noticeable difference without it. Thanks to all for your ideas.

Thi also fixed my exact problem.