Thread: Books for Making Toys

Books for Making Toys

Guys my grandson and I want to make some toy airplanes,boats,animals,etc. He is only 7 and I am only 63 so you know the fun type toys not the ones that are in great detail.I have no imagination so I need the help of some books that maybe has plans in them or patterns.I be using either a band saw or a scroll saw for this purpose which of coarse I will be the operator of the machines most of the time under my grandsons supervision.Looking for suggestions for toys that can be painted to kinda play with and maybe put on his shelf of what him and his PawPaw made along with memories----Thanks guys

Blog Entries
    Try "The Great All American Wooden Toy Book". I've made many of the toys from that book and my grandkids played with them. Here are a few of the toys I've made. There are more at my website.
    planefront.jpgbiplane2.jpggrader1.jpgbulldoz1.jpg
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Carroll,

I have a small stack of wooden toy books and the one Lee mentions is probably one of the better ones with a variety of interesting toys and a good fun/detail balance. If you search Amazon with wooden toy books you will see this book and lots of others.

You will have great fun with your grandson. Mine love coming to the shop, especially this guy, 7.

Here we are making wooden fish to catch with a paperclip hook.
    alex_drill.jpg

Loves the lathe too:
    alex_wand_IMG_20160118_1327.jpg alex_polish.jpg

Even making things from cheap kits is quality time:
    alex_airplane.jpg

JKJ

"Thats what I'm talking about" as my grand daughter would say.Fantastic guys thanks,looks like some happy faces ----Carroll

This one has been on my to-get list for quite some time...
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/1565238443/

Victor my grandson will love that book,he has lots of dinosaur in his room

You might try a search for Richard E. Blizzard.

He has written quite a few books on wooden toy building at several levels of complexity. He had a tv series in the U.K. (quite a few years ago iirc), you tube may be helpful there.

With luck your library may have some, or be able to arrange an inter-library loan if not.

Cheers

CH

Look what Santa brought,I'm a hero thanks guys
    Attached Images Attached Images

Good stuff! Definitely post your results when you get a chance to build from these!