Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Converting to upload into EZCad2

Converting to upload into EZCad2

Hello All.

I recently purchased my first 30 watt fiber machine and the learning curve has been steep. Can someone explain what may be happening here?

1. I pulled a Star Wars BB-8 jpg image from the internet. I've attached a copy of the file.

2. I import into Inkscape and use the trace bitmap function. The image appears good after the trace.

3. I save as SVG and then upload into EZCad2 but I am getting random lines of the drawing. Attached is a screenshot.

Any tips? Appreciate any feedback.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I always save as a DXF before loading into EZCAD or any other laser control software I use.
    Shenhui SG350 fitted with a 60w tube.
    Aeon Nova 10 100w tube.
    Aeon Mira 5030 30w RF tube.
    20w Fiber Laser.
    50w Fiber Laser.
    Located in the Isle of Man, which isn't in the UK but almost surrounded by it.

The EZCad software and fiber laser has a very steep learning curve. Try the Search here first because if you have to ask a question for every issue and wait for a response you will never learn. Search and Read for simple questions. Why not engrave the first as a image? The screen shot you posted after tracing will never engrave or Hatch without editing.
    Last edited by Bill George; 12-19-2017 at 8:33 AM.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

I import nothing but DXF into EZcad. However, what program creates the DXF DOES MATTER...to wit:

If I create a DXF in Gravostyle, it will open perfectly in Corel...
    If I create a DXF in Corel, it will open perfectly in EZcad...
    If I create a DXF in Gravostyle, it turns to garbage in EZcad... Essentially, Gravostyle DXF's come into EZcad with NO straight lines, virtually every straight line will have an arc to it. Have no idea why, and there's no output options in GS. If I create anything in GS to use with EZcad (and I do a lot), I have to have Corel open it, then re-export it so EZcad can use it.

And this just with the two programs I use. And I'm not so sure some versions of Corel won't send garbage to EZcad. FWIW, X4 is what I use, and I've never had any part of any vector art change between Corel and EZcad...

--edit towards Bill George-- With my machine at least, the reason NOT to engrave an image is because the entire 'invisible' bounding box around the image will engrave, and depending on how resistant or not the material is, your actual image can look like it's sitting in the middle of a snowstorm

Last edited by Kev Williams; 12-19-2017 at 3:38 PM.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    ...The screen shot you posted after tracing will never engrave or Hatch without editing.
    That image isn't too bad-- this pic shows the image copied from above, and the Corel quick-trace I did next to it- I don't care for Corel Trace but it's okay as is--
    SW1.jpg
    However, the next image in blue is my Casmate trace, which truly needs no editing.
    Here I've semi-superimposed the the lower left corner of his 'head'--
    SW2.jpg
    the blue is noticeably much smoother--I'll never understand why the newer trace programs do such a lousy job compared to a DOS powered graphics program from 26 years ago?
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

With my machine at least, the reason NOT to engrave an image is because the entire 'invisible' bounding box around the image will engrave, and depending on how resistant or not the material is, your actual image can look like it's sitting in the middle of a snowstorm

Kev, mine does not seem to do that it just ignores the white. He was using Inkscape and I when I tried to use that for my diode laser machine I was not impressed. Why did I use? It had a plug in to create gcode for the controller I was using.

Blog Entries
    So Ross, the answer to your problem is to discard Inkscape. A very un-userfriendly program that causes more problems than its worth. Buy a version of corel draw. I use X7, many others use older or newer versions. They work and you can edit for use with ezcad. Otherwise you will struggle. Corel has learning curve, but isn't so bad.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

Quote Originally Posted by Julian Ashcroft View Post
    I always save as a DXF before loading into EZCAD or any other laser control software I use.
    DXF did give a more accurate results then SVG. Attached is a screenshot.EZCad Screenshot 2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    I import nothing but DXF into EZcad. However, what program creates the DXF DOES MATTER...to wit:

If I create a DXF in Gravostyle, it will open perfectly in Corel...
    If I create a DXF in Corel, it will open perfectly in EZcad...
    If I create a DXF in Gravostyle, it turns to garbage in EZcad... Essentially, Gravostyle DXF's come into EZcad with NO straight lines, virtually every straight line will have an arc to it. Have no idea why, and there's no output options in GS. If I create anything in GS to use with EZcad (and I do a lot), I have to have Corel open it, then re-export it so EZcad can use it.

And this just with the two programs I use. And I'm not so sure some versions of Corel won't send garbage to EZcad. FWIW, X4 is what I use, and I've never had any part of any vector art change between Corel and EZcad...

--edit towards Bill George-- With my machine at least, the reason NOT to engrave an image is because the entire 'invisible' bounding box around the image will engrave, and depending on how resistant or not the material is, your actual image can look like it's sitting in the middle of a snowstorm

Hi Kev,

This is very helpful info. Engraving as a image is not an option from what I can tell since it does engrave the background. It sounds like Corel is a better match with EZcad?

Quote Originally Posted by John Lifer View Post
    So Ross, the answer to your problem is to discard Inkscape. A very un-userfriendly program that causes more problems than its worth. Buy a version of corel draw. I use X7, many others use older or newer versions. They work and you can edit for use with ezcad. Otherwise you will struggle. Corel has learning curve, but isn't so bad.
    I'm looking at Corel's website right now and wondering if Home and Student X8 edition would suffice for what my needs are which is tracing images and being able to upload to Ezcad and hatch correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross San View Post
    I'm looking at Corel's website right now and wondering if Home and Student X8 edition would suffice for what my needs are which is tracing images and being able to upload to Ezcad and hatch correctly.
    Ross I think Home and Student edition is limited in what it can do, you want the full version. Check Amazon or eBay for X6 or X7 Full Version. I do not know what OS you are using so maybe those older versions will not run on yours?
    Corel trace does a very good job. Did you try Saving your Image as a 1 bit Black and White image? I swear it engraves without the background, but I will try today. Import as a Image and try?
    Last edited by Bill George; 12-20-2017 at 8:05 AM.

I have yet to get a workable .dxf from Corel X6. I use Corel & trace bitmap as line art, then export as .ai. That works almost every time.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    Ross I think Home and Student edition is limited in what it can do, you want the full version. Check Amazon or eBay for X6 or X7 Full Version. I do not know what OS you are using so maybe those older versions will not run on yours? Corel trace does a very good job. Did you try Saving your Image as a 1 bit Black and White image? I swear it engraves without the background, but I will try today. Import as a Image and try?
    Can you clarify the process to save as a 1 bit black and white image? I have not had sucess with engraving as a image without the background.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Bateson View Post
    I have yet to get a workable .dxf from Corel X6. I use Corel & trace bitmap as line art, then export as .ai. That works almost every time.
    Hi Tim,
    Can you describe or post a screenshot of what happens when you saved as DXF and then upload into EZcad? Is it doing what my original screenshot is doing?

Quote Originally Posted by Ross San View Post
    Can you clarify the process to save as a 1 bit black and white image? I have not had sucess with engraving as a image without the background.
    Frankly your DXF file looked pretty good out of Inkscape. Have you actually tried to Engrave with your machine a B&W image? Its still 50 degrees in my shop even with the heat on or I would try with mine. It Imported into my co2 laser software and just ignored the white in a Simulated run.

I converted into a 1 bit B&W image in Corel X6 and will post the image here. I guess not, too large a file. If you PM me with your email address I will try to send directly.